New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Depende kasi sa location mo yan bro. Standard of living ika nga. Kung mega-city, parang sakto lang nga.

*Gumusut_amige: tama ka dyan bro. Family bond, weekly gimmick with childhood friends, relatives etc are just so unbelievable happy so mahirap tapatan ng pera yan.
    kaya nga before christmas last year, nung nagpaalam yung anak ko na nasa new zealand para magbakasyon... ako na ang nagpadala ng tiket para lang makapiling namin. kaso nung nasa atin na, hay puro lakwatsa ang ginawa kasama ang BF at mga kaibigan.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Depends on the kind of visa that will take you to the US. If H1B, even if specialty occupation, the accompanying spouse cannot work. Hence, wifey cannot help you financially but she can help you in taking care of the kids, can give you a relaxing home, can drive your kids to school, etc. You have a stay-at-home super wife.

If you are not a nurse or if you will be given a job that's clerical, it's hard to survive. H1B cannot guarantee you a greencard, just look at our Filipino teachers in the US. Their renewed H1B will be expiring soon, but the petitioning school has not filed for their greencard yet. They have no more life back in the PH because they sold everything as soon as they got their visa.

Female teachers asked their husbands to quit from their jobs to join them in the US with the kids. Now, without the greencard, they have to make an exit and allow another year to elapse before they can reenter, that is, if these jobs are still there after a year.

OT (but might give you the idea, although might not be true to all):

I have the chance to immerse in these places in the west:I like the diversity in CA, but I like the laidback life in WA and so with Oregon (shopping here is heaven, no tax). I find Vegas a material world. I don't like the vibe, although the houses are cheap nowadays. Most states in the Midwest are struggling, although MI is starting to feel the effect of stimulus fund (I dunno if really true). Although we also have to consider that some cities in CA are declaring bankruptcy. In the east, Pinoys I've known opt to live in NJ and work in NY. CT, even if it's a sleeping state, the standard of living is a bit high. But I like the population of the old and brilliant. I have not heard anyone honking his horn unlike in NY and CA. I cannot say much about the District of Columbia, I was there for about a week to observe one US Supreme Court's en banc session. I just spent my days visiting the memorials, capitol, and the gate of White House (hehehe).

In terms of food security, even the hobo has something to fill his tummy. He can take the bus without paying.

With medical services, what I don't like is the appointment procedure in the US. I would rather wager in the PH-considering that buying a medical insurance in the PH is also expensive-I can choose my doctor. My friend pays 200USD for each child/month for medical insurance but cannot choose her doctor. My other friend cannot choose her OB-Gyn, she was assigned a male doctor (que horror). I still like SLMC.

Yes, I agree with yebo(?), most kids in the US don't seem to have any other life except to look forward to be in a relationship. I still would like my child to be a Filipina. If she'll insist on engaging in hazardous activities, we'll see if she's gonna survive without the diploma. I would like my child or children to imbibe the importance of hard work, good education, and the culture of excellence-just because we lack so many.

My cousins in the US finished college through scholarships because they kicked ass during high school and graduated valedictorians. My aunts explained to them the dire need to excel because they are Asians and colored.

But this does not mean that I am no longer enamored with the so-called American Dream. I like America because it does not make me feel that I need to have connections just to be served.

RE: Pinoy marriages. I have met several Pinoys whose marriages have been in shambles. Men (those with blue passports) tend to be so helpful by marrying TNT Pinays, abandoning their respective wives.

70K (PHP) when in the NCR cannot give you a decent house. Although enough for a family of four that does not pay any tuition fees yet.

BTT: If you're offered a green card, then by all means take the risk. You just need to focus on the 5-year period and you'll get your citizenship. There are hardships, but these are just temporary setbacks, you'll get back on your feet eventually. When trials rock your marriage, just go back to your sole consideration in chasing that American Dream: a great or grander future for your family. Don't be lost in the madness of this material world. It's always nice to hold hands with the person who helped you decide in chasing that dream-from the moment you set foot in the US till you draw your last breath. Ride the roller coaster holding each others' hands. Just pray that wifey thinks this way too. hehehe.
    Last edited by ab_initio; April 21st, 2013 at 04:04 AM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumusut_Amige View Post
    kaya nga before christmas last year, nung nagpaalam yung anak ko na nasa new zealand para magbakasyon... ako na ang nagpadala ng tiket para lang makapiling namin. kaso nung nasa atin na, hay puro lakwatsa ang ginawa kasama ang BF at mga kaibigan.
    I think I'll have the same scenario in 15yrs time the soonest. Makikiusap na sa anak na magbakasyon dito. Gusto mag-work ng son ko sa ibang bansa eh. Kapag nanalo si Nognog, I'll definitely push him in that aspiration of his.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Am actually offering my eldest son to study college either in the US or Australia, so that he won't see us everyday for as long as he secures partial scholarship.... Ayaw!!!

18.8k:dance1:

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    appreciated all your replies guys. until now no decision pa rin. if ever I will be bringing my family and immigrant ang visa natin. my work is in IT field (microsoft/network/vb/scripts). lumaki ako sa province, I am very content living a simple life same with wifey and the kids. sa ngayon si wifey ang bahala sa lahat ng bills (water/electrical/broadband/yaya) while sagot ko lahat ng groceries and amortization. on top of that meron pa rin kaming savings for kids' future. we always see to it that our bonuses (wifey and I) will go directly to savings.. matipid kami masyado hehehe.. we were able to pay in cash ahead of the enrollment time ang tuition ng mga bata to avail the discounts.. ganyan ang buhay namin napaka simple but we are happy..

the reason I am thinking of migrating is because of the kids' future. I think kaya naman naming pag-aralin sa decent scholl ang mga bata but would it be better if kids are in the U.S. looking for a decent job than here in the Phil..

another dilemma is if we migrated then we will start all over again.. no choice but kailangan kainin ang pride pagdating U.S. kahit siguro anong trabaho papasukin just to survive the first year.. so we will need family support. sadly wala kami maaasahan na family support since malayong kamag-anak ang mga naduon sa states. we have friends to accommodate us may be on the first few weeks.. but what if after 6 months wala pa kami stable jobs.. hayy hirap mag decide...

yes i've been to U.S. several times. less than a week gusto ko na bumalik sa pinas agad.. pag may U.S. trainings hindi nako nag eextend uwi na agad.. honestly ayoko duon but being a father I have to think for my kids' better future..sigh...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    The sacrifices we have to go through for our family, especially the kids.

Dive for it bro

18.9k:smooch:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    being in the US does not guarantee your kids will have a better future. wala na sananng mahirap na amerikano kung US citizen ka e sure ball na.

sa ating mga pinoy na nagma-migrate sa ibang bansa (US, Canada, Australia, etc) pinakamalaking dahilan ng success e yung education. so sa mga 1st generation immigrants tama yan, malaki ang chances of success kasi karamihan e college educated. pero paano kung hindi ganun kaganda ang buhay na mahanap mo dun, lalo na ngayon bagsak ang US economy. paano na yung 2nd generation? alam mo ba kung magkano ang cost ng college education sa US? will they qualify for an scholarship? will they be able to compete for entrance in the better universities? yung saying na "inumpisahan ni lolo, pinalago ni tatay, winaldas ng apo" also applies to education. nagpakahirap ang tatay mo na pagaralin ka sa college tapos pupunta ka sa US kung saan di mo kayang pagaralin mga anak mo. sabagay yung iba ginagamit ang utak. punta sila sa US as family, then pag college age na ang mga bata pinapauwi ang anak sa pilipinas para magaral. yan e kung gusto pa umuwi ng anak.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    You should still have close families here to be able to do that to look after the kids....
    A lot of them would not though because it is hot and humid, there are a lot of mosquitoes and cockroaches, and the perceived issue on peace and order.....they have to be familiar with the country..this meansregular visits.

18.9k:smooch:

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    whats with the mentality na mas maganda future ng anak pag pumunta ng US or Canada? you make your future kahit nasaan ka...kahit dito lumaki yun mga anak mo eh, its up to them to carve out their own path..you can just give them opportunities and tools (education, if youre rich them money) then sila na bahala kung ano gusto nila sa buhay nila...

I don't buy those crap na pupunta ng US para sa future ng anak...what makes you so sure na mas maganda ang future nila doon? nagkalat ang opportunities kahit saan..its up to the individual if theyll grab it ...

kung para sa future then do what other parents will do, pagaralin sa abroad, then bahala na sila if theyll stay there or return here...

ewan ko, nabwibwisit na rin ako sa mga pinoy na ang mentality eh mas maganda future pag nag migrate...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zenon View Post
    ang buhay namin napaka simple but we are happy...
    Un naman pala eh, masaya naman pala kayo dito. Wag na umalis

Quote Originally Posted by zenon View Post
    another dilemma is if we migrated then we will start all over again.. no choice but kailangan kainin ang pride pagdating U.S. kahit siguro anong trabaho papasukin just to survive the first year..
    ako isa mga reason ko ito bakit ko ayaw umalis dito. engineer ako dito tapos pag dating ko doon bagger lang ako? unless same or better line of work and higher standard of living (relative sa US) nde talaga ako aalis.

Isa pa, kahit sobrang init dito pag summer mas gusto ko pa rin weather dito sa atin. Dati nung bata pa ako gustong-gusto ko ng snow. Pero nung na-assign ako sa Japan 3 years ago for 18 months at naranasan ko ang winter nila (nde pa sub-zero dun pag winter), putek ayaw ko na ng snow!

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast