New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Did you break the vehicle speed limit today?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 66.67%
  • No

5 23.81%
  • I broke the speed limit while walking!

2 9.52%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Additional .02...

IMO it's for the good of the motorist to have a defined speed limit, at least inside Metro Manila. Without one, it's entirely at the discretion of hungry cops whether or not you are driving recklessly, with excessive speed. With a limit, we can argue that we were, in fact within the prescribed maximums.

Sana lang hindi 80kmh/40kmh yung limit. Heheheh

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Sadly the law is severely outdated. I mean 40kph is 25mph, the residential speed limit here. Our city streets have between 30mph to 50mph speed limits, depending on the area, traffic flow, etc. Most crowded places have 30, while more open spaces have 45 or even 50mph speed limits.

I must admit I never go below 40 when I'm there, especially at night. If I do go below 40 it's because of somebody slowing down, slow moving traffic, etc. But if it's an open road I mostly go where the engine is most comfortable running. Usually that's 60kph. This is leisure driving for me. Faster than that and the road bumps gets harsher, slower than that I feel I'm not using enough momentum to make it easier for the engine.

Same with the highway speed limits there. It should technically be 120kph if the city speed limits will be raised (both by 20kph).

The problem is that the combination of new cars that can handle much faster speeds and the old, slow cars with suspension systems that cannot handle heightened speeds safely must have common ground. However, the common ground (meaning, the roads) aren't good either, so speed limits cannot be increased because the roads cannot be made better (partly also due to the rainfall that ruins asphalted roads).

Here in the US during the day people usually go 70-75mph, sometimes even 80-85mph on a daily basis! This is even with the speed limits indicating a maximum of 65mph ideally. With the advent of more powerful cars with better high speed gear ratios and overdrive gears to get the RPMs down, they can drive 80mph without beating a sweat.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    just think of it as a little bit extra tax collection (assuming you don't pay the kotong).

it's the speed tax - for the privilege of speeding 100% of the time, once in awhile you have to pay a little fee

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    eto mas weird. SLEX speed limit is 80kph (to conserve gas daw)

kaya nga expressway para mabilis ang biyahe. i am not saying naman na gawing 150kph ang limit but 100kph limit would be fine. buti na lang ndi nila naimplement ito. kung hinde, ubos ang oras mo sa kupad ng byahe.

isa pa, the fact na ndi ka natatrapik by using the expressway means you saving fuel. right?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    eto mas weird. SLEX speed limit is 80kph (to conserve gas daw)

kaya nga expressway para mabilis ang biyahe. i am not saying naman na gawing 150kph ang limit but 100kph limit would be fine. buti na lang ndi nila naimplement ito. kung hinde, ubos ang oras mo sa kupad ng byahe.

isa pa, the fact na ndi ka natatrapik by using the expressway means you saving fuel. right?
    Ideally yes. But, it is not the case sa SLEX lalo na pag rush hour.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Medyo OT but don't you notice that no one ever bothered to sue or file a claim in court against the PNCC for the outrageous toll fees they charge. Supposedly, the fees go to the cost of operating and maintaining the SLEX so that you can travel faster and safer. Just look at the state of the SLEX now. Tsk, tsk. :nono:

7. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    I just cruised at 110kph yesterday 11pm dito sa city hehe. wala namang sasakyan tsaka highway naman ako dumaan. 80kph is so boring

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    Medyo OT but don't you notice that no one ever bothered to sue or file a claim in court against the PNCC for the outrageous toll fees they charge. Supposedly, the fees go to the cost of operating and maintaining the SLEX so that you can travel faster and safer. Just look at the state of the SLEX now. Tsk, tsk. :nono:
    speed limit of (40kph)?! MAg bike na lang ako kung ganyan lang.

OT: parusa ang traffic sa Slex! last week lang byahe ko umabot ng 2hrs(mla-Southwoods) with a 10mins stop over sa gas station.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dapat lang talaga may speed limits for the safety of motorists and padestrians pero dapat reasonable naman.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    IMHO, speed limits in city roads are OK. The public is there and must be protected.

Speed limits on expressways are stupid. The public is definitely NOT supposed to be there.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
LTO Vehicle Speed Limits - EDSA max speed limit 40 km/h for cars [merged threads]