New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    i've got a Samsung 32" and a Sony Bravia 40". it's great with an NMT player as well as good maximum resolution pag konek mo sa laptop. I figure if I can have time to have an Xbox, siguro mas ok ang lcd since parang pc video card din naman ang xb0x

the reason why I avoided Plasmas is bec. hindi daw ok ito sa mga ordinary Dsub connection. and also yun na nga it consumes more electricity.

I'm a die-hard plasma fan, but...

If you will be doing a lot of gaming (PS3/Xbox/Wii), or will use the panel as a computer monitor, or put it in a brightly lit room, or plan to wall mount it on a not-so-solid wall, then consider LCD.

If you will be using it mostly for movies (DVD or HD such as Bluray), and Cable TV viewing, then go for the plasma.

I assume the 53k Panny plasma is the 42PV8H? If you don't need the wall mount, the lowest price I've seen this unit is at Listening Room Megamall. They sell it for 51k, w/o wall mount. But if you need the wall mount, I highly recommend Sights&Sounds Shanrila. They should be able to give it for 53k with mount and HDMI cable, free deliver and installation, and free professional home calibration. Look for Vic.

There's a similar unit, Panasonic 42PV80, which has SD card slot, additional HDMI slot, piano black finish, swivel desk stand, and sells for 58k. Not sure if these additional features is worth the additional money. But it's essentially the exact same panel as the 42PV8H.

*GH, almost all flat panels these days only have single tuner. You may need to go high-end to find 2-tuner variants (useful for channel surfing, with PIP). Haven't seen these for awhile now.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Among your choices, I'll pick the Panny Plasma. Medyo malakas sa power consumption ang Plasma compare to LCD but newer Plasma ay wala na yatang burn-in. Napuna ko almost freebie na rin ang HD-DVD pero you can now only use it to upconvert regular DVD. Bluray is the way to go. Comparing Plasma vs LCD sa mga electronics stores (Best Buy, Circuit City etc...) Plasma hands down for me, second choice ko ay ang Samsung or Sony na 24hz LCDs kala ko I was watching 3D!!! Just still very expensive.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by russpogi View Post
    If you have no worries about space, why not get a projection LCD from JVC?

http://www.jvc.com/presentations/HDILA/advantage.html

I can hook you up with a friend from JVC Phils! hehehe!
    AFAIK, there's no such thing as projection LCD's.

You might be referring to rear projection TV's (RPTVs) using DLP. Problem is, some RPTV's are too bulky compared to today's flat screens using LCD and plasma, at pareho lang ang price (some models are even more expensive). So si consumer, naturally, LCD or plasma na lang ang pipiliin.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    here's a better detailed comparison between the two. di kaya ma-copy, quote and paste. sobra sa words limit ng tsikot.

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    Its the other way around about Plasma and LCD.

1. Plasma- are a screen's phosphor coating that is very close to conventional tube TVs. Although Plasma has been perfected over the year's still vulnerable to burn-in, but its less likely with newer model.
    Hmmmmm....Agree, but here's a more exact definition of Plasma (from the net):

It is a type of flat panel display now commonly used for large TV displays. Many tiny cells located between two panels of glass hold a mixture of gases. Images are produced by xenon and neon gas contained in hundreds of thousands of tiny cells positioned between two plates of glass.

Plasma sets generally cost a bit less than LCD sets of the same size. The best plasma sets can display better contrast and deeper blacks than LCD sets, making for a rich natural picture quality. Plasma sets have a virtually unlimited viewing angle - you can sit practically anywhere in the room and still see a great picture. However, screen may be shiny or reflective and uses more energy than other type of flat panels

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus View Post

You might be referring to rear projection TV's (RPTVs) using DLP. Problem is, some RPTV's are too bulky compared to today's flat screens using LCD and plasma, at pareho lang ang price (some models are even more expensive). So si consumer, naturally, LCD or plasma na lang ang pipiliin.
    .....and also, napakamahal nung "replacement" lamp nya, pag nasira o na-max out na yung buhay nung bulb.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by paolorenzo View Post
    *GH, almost all flat panels these days only have single tuner. You may need to go high-end to find 2-tuner variants (useful for channel surfing, with PIP). Haven't seen these for awhile now.
    My brother was able to purchase a Hitachi LCD TV with dual tuner. Useful for him when he wants to watch a certain channel while keeping an eye on another (example: commercial break and you channel surf to the news, etc).

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The power consumption of plasma TVs is not as high as most perceive it to be. The power consumption indicated in the back panel of the TV is the max power consumption. During dark scenes or when there's black objects, those affected pixels are turned off, so no electricity consumption by those pixels. LCD TVs have a somewhat constant electricity consumption, the backlighting, which consumes most of the power, is always ON.

Burn-ins and image retention in plasma panels is the thing of the past. The new Panasonic plasma TVs use the 10th (or 11th?) generation plasma panels that eliminates those problems. I have a 1-yr old Panasonic 42PV70 plasma TV and my son and his friends have been playing Wii on it during weekends and school breaks. I haven't noticed burn-ins or IRs when I use it to watch movies.
    Last edited by boybi; November 26th, 2008 at 01:08 PM.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus View Post

Damn! Sorry! May bad! hehehe! I got confused with the terms kse I was also looking at LCD projectors at that time!

Actually, kung hindi naman issue yung space for the tv, ok naman yung RPTV. Manufacturers nowadays offer prices lower for them like JVC. A similarly sized LCD comprared to an RPTV is about Php100k lower (64" yata yun), when I went to Anson's a few months ago.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
LCD TV or PLASMA TV?