New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hello guys/gals

In regards of the thread "Is Jeepney still something to be proud of?"
    Majority are not so good. And most comment are about how Jeepney's was made.

So, Im thinking if we post our ideas what Jeepney as a vehicle (public or personal) needs.

From engine to exhaust, Suspensions to sunroof, spoiler or handrails, gas diesel or nukes)

(kuya moderators please merge, this topic if you think it should go to an existing thread)

2. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    I'm going to pattern my jeepney after that aircon jeep that's really a bus that looks like a jeep. Then I'll put a jet engine on it, and maybe wings.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    why can't we have electric buses painted and decorated outlandishly to retain the jeepney's fun and festive spirit yet reap the benefits of cleaner emission and less congested streets. these buses can be extended so you'll have the capacity of 10 (or more) jeepneys in one. if they can do it in san francisco where they have impossible steep hills and narrow streets, i'm sure it can be done in manila. but as yebo had mentioned, this takes vision, something our politicians sorely lack, and money, something that they would rather pocket than contribute to the greater good. okay, i'm done ranting.

Last edited by wren; May 5th, 2006 at 09:35 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FXT
    why can't we have electric buses painted and decorated outlandishly to retain the jeepney's fun and festive spirit yet reap the benefits of cleaner emission and less congested streets. these buses can be extended so you'll have the capacity of 10 (or more) jeepneys in one. if they can do it in san francisco where they have impossible steep hills and narrow streets, i'm sure it can be done in manila. but as yebo had mentioned, this takes vision, something our politicians sorely lack, and money, something that they would rather pocket than contribute to the greater good. okay, i'm done ranting.

It can be done, but I doubt if the bus operator will be able to make a profit, the Phil. has one of the higher electricity rates in the world. Kahit diesel engined na lang masaya na ako.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    For me aerodynamic dapat seats should be comfortable and well reclined including the driver and passenger seat.May GUMAGANANG gauges,dashboard,aircon, atbp.Yung jeep hindi sobrang haba at hindi sobrang maikli.Reserve tire dapat nasa likod at nasa ilalim ng jeep.Idrawing ko na lang kaya... Parang town and country cguro kalalabasan ng drawing ko nito..heehh
    Another electron product ko..nyahahah..

6. Join Date
    Jan 2014

dapat gawing 4x4 off road ang gulong para pan laban sa baha, tas gawing komportable mga upuan yung captain seat type para maalwan sa mga pasahero..

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Electric? Not very practical. Note that fossil fuel power plants have about the same efficiency as that of diesel engines (which theoretically means the same emissions and economy, which defeats the purpose). Unless they'd be powered by a dedicated electric line, like the trains. But they ain't trains.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One
    Electric? Not very practical. Note that fossil fuel power plants have about the same efficiency as that of diesel engines (which theoretically means the same emissions and economy, which defeats the purpose). Unless they'd be powered by a dedicated electric line, like the trains. But they ain't trains.
    they are powered by dedicated electric lines...i just posted a picture above.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Oh ok, now I can see the bus. Damn Bayantel DSL!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it is a very common misconception that because electric motors do not produce any pollutants (not true) and internally are more efficient than internal combustion engines, that they are better for the environment. HOWEVER, this notion does not take into consideration the following facts:

1. the electricity has to be generated somewhere. yes you do not see the power plants, but those power plants are also using fossil fuels, and thus generate the same amount of carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. in fact they produce more carbons due to larger inefficiencies in the transmission. let's say a power plant produces 1 megawatt hour of electricity at the highest efficiency possible. then...see #2

2. that electricity has to be transmitted through long distances, by high tension wires that have inherent resistances. at say 90% efficiency of transmission, then that 1 megawatt hour power generated at the plant becomes 900 kilowatt hours at the station. then that AC current is converted to DC with more losses, and which is more inefficient than AC to transmit. since the transmission and conversion losses are great then that efficiency in #1 actually becomes lower than if the power is generated on site (by the gas, diesel or LNG engines in the vehicle.) if you don't believe that transmission losses are big, then look at your meralco bill.

3. that DC current drives DC motors. guess what pollutant DC motors produce? O3, or ozone. it's good up there 200,000 feet above your head but down on the ground it is a known carcinogen, attacks metals and masonry (bad for buildings, bridges, and almost anything you don't want to rust.) and since the DC motors have also internal losses (efficiency is around 90-95%) then the overall efficiency of the system goes down further. result = more CO and CO2 produced at the power plant that would be if the power is produced in the vehicle itself.

back to topic, i suggest LNG powered vehicles that are a compromise in size between buses and mini-buses. i prefer LNG because it is clean, almost no pollutants. it does not require huge power plants like hydrogen does (you need to generate the hydrogen somewhere, duh!). also, the potential for natural gas deposits in the philippines is good. they will have short routes that start and terminate at LRT/MRT stations, a route that plies along side streets which will be an added convenince to people who live far from the major roads. no long routes except where there are no LRT/MRT lines. this will of course require that the LRT/MRT network be extended to cover most of the major routes in the metropolis. and they can be made colorful just like the jeepney. hell, put a stainless steel horse on the front bumper, 10 of them! and on-board entertainment system too, a videoke machine! added income pa din yan since you need to drop 5 pesos per 2 songs! yun lang nga baka meron magbakbakan sa loob pag may kumanta ng "my way" nyahahahaha!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Jeepneys - tell us your design concept