New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    we often use the word "jap" describing autos from or made in japan.

From Wiki:

Jap as War Slur

Jap, n was first used in 1860 to refer to members of the Japanese embassy in the United States. It was later popularized during World War II to describe those of Japanese/Asian descent, and used as a disparaging term to describe Japanese people.

the Jap attack on Pearl Harbor...

Note: characterized as an anachronism. Many Americans find the term extremely offensive and racist, but a Japanese living in Japan would have trouble understanding their violent reactions, as the term would not be racist to him.[citation needed] Many non-Americans use the term as a natural abbreviation of the word "Japanese". [citation needed]

Unsurprisingly, in Japanese dictionaries, the term "Jap" is only defined as a disparaging term used against the Japanese people, like it is the case in many English language dictionaries. [1] These dictionaries accurately reflect the fact that the term "Jap" is not used in Japan as a neutral abbreviation for Japan or its people.

I myself am guilty of using that word.... It's like calling black americans "negroes" or thugs which is derogatory... my japanese-american cousin got mad at me for using that word when we talked about certain japanese cars.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    noted...just use the term JDM (Japanese Domestic Market)

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    hmm i guess it also depends on the intention of the person speaking the term..kung talagang racist e bad talaga..

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I think, these days, it is mostly those who are less educated or less traveled who use that term. They do so but without malice as they are pretty much oblivious to the derogatory connotation. Of course, there will always be those who are hardcore racists. (But then racism is usually the product of ignorance or lack of education).

Still, it is good to be aware of derogatory terms (racist, ***ist, religious, special children, etc.) to minimize the chances of inadvertently offending other people. I am sure no one in his or her right mind would want to offend an Americanized Yakuza with the "Jap" term - intentionally or not.
    Last edited by architect; May 27th, 2006 at 03:18 PM. Reason: appending comment

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Just don't use it with an American. I don't find it offensive, but older Japanese Americans will. My mom hated that word when she was in grade school, and it was used against her, often, because she looks more Japanese than Caucasian.

Never mind the fact that her mother was put in a concentration camp by the US government and stripped of all her rights and properties, despite being a second generation US Citizen... or the fact that the US killed hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians in the Tokyo bombings and the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki... bloody Yanks.

It's like "negro", Americans get all worked up about it, but dark skinned people won't. A black guy on one of my other boards hates the fact that he is referred to as an African American, even though he's never been to Africa. He prefers the term "black" period.

And "nigger"... while whites still see it as a racial slur, black American kids use it on each other all the time... go figure... ...funny thing is, nigger, short for niggardly IS naturally derogatory.

I personally don't find "jap" offensive, as there are no current negative connonations attached to it. If I hear it used as an abbreviation for Japanese, I just let it slide.

EDIT: Don't use it on Jewish girls... I just remembered, there IS one current derogatory use for "JAP"... Jewish-American-Princess... for (supposedly) rich, spoiled Jewish teens.
    Last edited by niky; May 27th, 2006 at 03:32 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    "Tojo"

Is also use during WWII

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    The japs - they are the biggest creditor in the world for 15 years straight , followed by Switzerland. now the biggest debtor, SURPRISE ! USA ...my hometown...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Japs- smartest people ?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    There's the danger of opening old wounds here. I symphatize with Japanese-Americans being sent to camps in the middle of nowhere and with those who died in the atomic bomb attacks. But, that's little comfort to my Dad who had both his parents killed by the Japanese right in front of him....... It haunts him to this day and although he's doing his best to change, he still has a deep mistrust for the Japanese.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    my grand parents calls them "SAKANG"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
"Jap"