New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    http://www.bworldonline.com/BW081309/content.php?id=042

[SIZE="5"]PLDT, Smart disrupted as undersea cables break[/SIZE]

CABLE BREAKS due to bad weather have affected the services of Philippine Long Distance Telephone (PLDT) Co.

Multiple cable faults that occurred yesterday morning between China and Taiwan, and Malaysia and Singapore have crippled mobile unit Smart Communications, Inc.’s international and broadband services.

The cable cuts are within the Asia-Pacific Cable Network (APCN) 2, a submarine telecommunications cable linking several countries in the Asia-Pacific region with local landing point in Batangas Bay in Batangas City.

The APCN 2 is a 19,000-kilometer-long fiber optic cable system that connects China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Taiwan.

Smart Communications said its wireless subscribers may have difficulties making or receiving overseas calls, and sending or receiving text messages abroad.

Also, the "Smart Bro" and "Smart Bro Plug-It" services may encounter "slow or intermittent," and difficulty in accessing Web sites hosted overseas.

"We are still awaiting word on the cause of the fiber cuts. In the meantime, Smart would like to assure the general public that close coordination is ongoing with our network counterparts abroad to aid in restoring normal services as soon as possible," Smart Communications said in a statement.

PLDT said "the PLDT Group is now re-routing traffic to other cable systems and coordinating with partners in affected international cable systems to restore full capacity as soon as possible."

In December 2006, the Philippines’ Internet connection was disrupted by an earthquake in Taiwan. It took less than a week to fix the disruption.

Smart Communications has over 38.5 million subscribers with 1.2 million broadband users. PLDT has 510,000 broadband subscribers and 1.8 million fixed-line customers.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    That's the reason why our project managers are having headaches early in the morning. They cant access their project database located overseas. Our company's back-up line quite slow. Internet is the only reason why we stay in the office for 1 to 2 hours more after regular workhours to avoid rush hour. Without it, well, WE went home so early (undertime).

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    kaya pala ang smart bro ko sa bahay, though having full hsdpa signals eh ang bagal...

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Kaya pala ang bagal mag buffering ng spankw....este youtube kahapon e

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Kaya pala mabagal lately......

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Ay sus!!! Kaya pala no matter what I did, ayaw bumilis ng internet connection ni bossing! :hammer: Thanks, GH!

7. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    kaya nagwawala mga PLDT DSL subscribers eh...

isa na ako dun

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Monday pa daw maayos...

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    hindi lang PLDT.. pati ibang ISP affected.. yung DSL namin sa PHILCOM ang bagal din.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Last night I was trying to get my internet connection to go faster but to no avail. I finally gave up and called PLDT. In their recording "memo", they mentioned the damaged under-sea cable. That is how I found out. But surfing at home was so ssssllllloooowwww that the I couldn't even open most of the websites or takes minutes just to open a single page.

At least it somewhat improved this morning, although still slow, I can open websites quickly enough as long as I don't open too many at one time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
If you are wondering why your (PLDT-DSL/Smart-Bro) internet speed suddenly dropped...