New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just wondering how the numerous security checks for automobiles and people at buildings, malls and other public and private establishments actually improve security.

For the most part, in the current way they're being handled, I think they're a big waste of time and money.

True, security checks on automobiles' trunks/baggage compartments will deter would-be perpetrators from putting a bomb in plainsight, but what happens if he puts it inside the car, like the engine, in the glove box, under the seat, in a bag inside the car, or anywhere in plainsight inside the car? Will a bomb/substance-sniffing dog be able to detect that from just opening the trunk?

And what do these 'security' guards/inspectors actually expect to see inside a trunk to identify a bomb? Sticks of dynamite with 'TNT' written on them? A big, black, round object with a cotton string sticking out of it, and 'ACME' written on it? And wouldn't real terrorists do better to conceal such bomb components well enough so that you just don't see it?

About inspection on your person, so they have metal detectors. But when do metal detectors actual detect a concealed weapon or the like? These detectors virtually beep each time they're run on a person. Is it because the person doesn't look suspicious, thus whatever's beeping is just some loose coins? Or if he does look suspicious, a more thorough body search follows?

Oh, and that inspector's stick that pokes through bags or purses. Does it have some sort of a metal detector or camera in it? How can you tell that the bag or purse is actually safe by just looking at the top inside or perhaps bottom part?

If these are how "security" checks are done, they forget about it, they're just a big waste of time and effort. Whoever's in charge might as well take them away, or make them more stringent.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    actually its a question that has been nagging me for a long time, until i realize that it does not do anything except for some psychological na dating na nagsasabing "nagiinspect kami.."

now things would be different if they do things in detail, which i think will create traffic specially at the entrance of each building or mall.

and even though they use bomb sniffing dogs, i don't think it will be very much effective. most dogs cannot sniff out C4. and it will be very costly.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    pang peace of mind lang yan

4. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    just to be able to say that they have inspection for the safety "daw" of the customers

at minsan 2 or 3 pa na guard ang nag iinspect sa car

sana sa roving na lang sila, i think mas effective yun if they want visibility

to check lalo na mga questionable item/s na nagkalat. . . .

and ung iba ata sa kanila ung mga non uniform na bantay sa department store
    or supermarket (kaya lang masyado halata sila ) pansin ko nga lagi ung mga un

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Security checks do absolutely nothing except give more employment to people as "security guards".

You can have sticks of dynamite attached to a clock in your shopping bag and you will just walk right through the "security" inspection. That is already for an obvious "bomb"... what else for an improvised explosive device which can look like anything (example, 1L bottle of coke, a pocketbook, woman's shoulderbag)?

Last edited by ghosthunter; March 5th, 2008 at 04:48 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    just to be able to say that they have inspection for the safety "daw" of the customers

at minsan 2 or 3 pa na guard ang nag iinspect sa car

sana sa roving na lang sila, i think mas effective yun if they want visibility

to check lalo na mga questionable item/s na nagkalat. . . .

and ung iba ata sa kanila ung mga non uniform na bantay sa department store
    or supermarket (kaya lang masyado halata sila ) pansin ko nga lagi ung mga un

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I often tend to think that it's nothing but the "placebo effect" in practice.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    I dont think they can even detect IED.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Security checks may deter less determined criminals, but not the determined and clever variety of terrorists.

As in most cases, security is a personal responsibility. We have to watch our surroundings when we're in public, and look out for things that seem out of place. Learn to listen to your gut instinct too.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Those security checks can deter dumb criminals. And if you happen to watch America's Dumbest Criminals, they do exist and even seem to number in the thousands.

For me, a layer of security check is better than nothing at all. Like what the others have said, it gives peace of mind to the other shoppers that at least, something is being done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How Much Security Do Security Checks Actually Give?