New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Lilipat kayo ng ibang telco kung totoo?

Rumor: SM’s Henry Sy buying Globe Telecom? | YugaTech | Philippines, Tech Reviews Blog

May 27, 2012
    We got this really surprising tip from a source that rumor is going around that billionaire tycoon Henry Sy is looking to buy controlling shares of Globe Telecom.

Henry Sy has interestes in a lot of markets — retail, real estate, banking, leisure, etc. This rumored interest in the telecoms industry could have been sparked by the recent acquisition of Digitel by PLDT, putting the competition between Smart and Globe in a spotlight.

Earlier, Globe has secured a $90 million loan from China Banking Corp. to spend for the expansion of its 4G network in the Philippines. China Bank is also owned by Henry Sy.

Globe has a market capitalization of around Php142 billion and recently achieved a 1st quarter revenue of Php20.2 billion (Q1, 2012). The company is partly owned by the Ayalas with 32% share while Singaporean telecom, Singtel, owns 47%.

Henry Sy is the Philippine’s richest guy (#173 in the world) with an estimated worth of $8 billion or Php344 billion. That’s more than enough money to buy controlling shares of Globe.

Henry Sy doesn’t need to buy it out of the Ayala clan. He can just buy the majority shares from Singtel to take control of the telco.

Again, it’s just a rumor (so take this story with a grain of salt) but if this actually happens, Henry Sy might do to Globe what it did to Banco de Oro — propelling the company to the top spot by leveraging on its assets and interests in other markets.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    henry sy intsik kuripot matipid sa pera

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by EE100shiro View Post
    Good or bad, the principle of being a "tight wad" and "saving money" has benefited the local filipino-chinese families to become more affluent in today's society.

Much better than "bahala na si BATMAN".

4. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    LOL! Nakakatawa talaga yang comic strip na yan.

If this is true, then good. At least we can see improvement like what happened to BDO.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Globe is Ayala's # 1 company. Malamang Singtel ang liligawan ni Henry Sy.

But I don't think this will happen. Laki ng investment ng Singtel the past few years eh plus Globe just raised their market share and is enjoying good profits. But of course, Henry may just splurge and pay Singtel the way Smart paid the Gokongwei's.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've worked for both Filipino-Chinese and full-Pinoy owned companies and i can say straight out that i would put my money on the Fil-Chi way of running companies if i was a stockholder. Ingat lang sa mga ginagamit na salita boss; Tama na yung Scarborough Shoal ang pinagaawayan ng Pilipinas at China.

I don't think Henry Sy, Sr. would have a hand in this anymore due to his supposed condition so it would be the kids who will be orchestrating anything like this and for them to get that from the Ayalas is quite improbable. They are both competing head-on in the same way that MVP and RSA are going at it.

You mean Globe service can get even worse?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    i am sure that singtel and ayala have a shareholders agreement that will have a right of first refusal clause

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Laking galit mo ah. Wag mong sabihin na di ka pa nakakapunta sa mga SM malls.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Di galit yan, inggit ang tawag dyan. I mean how can you hate that man. Yan ang tunay na Rags 2 Riches. Hindi umasa sa swerte para makadating sa itaas. Ok yan kung kukunin nya basta andun parin ung services offered ng globe or much better kung magiimprove pa.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    mayaman.

magaya nga.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Hot Rumor: SM's Henry Sy buying Globe Telecom?