New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    I guess the saying is true, when you are hungry everything else takes a back seat.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    ONE THING you guys have to know about public schools (aside from PSHS and UP... UP din po ako!) is that the system just doesn't work. I've spent time training at Public Schools, and a lot of my pupils have trouble even reading at the grade 6 level.

The major problem is that the cumulative effects of mismanagement in early grades, non-participation of parents in education, and dropping out and absenteeism due to poverty show up by the time the students are "elevated" to grade 6. Many students are merely "promoted" to the next grade, no matter how poor their ability, because the school is overloaded or the child is too old to stay in that grade level. It's very sad.

And some of our so-called "better" private-schools aren't any better in terms of academics...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    it's in the student na talaga. given all those obstacles & lack of resources, if a student wills it there is a way. kasi dami naman ako nakikita na matatalino na dyaryo pa nga pero galing lang sa mababang paaralan ng isang probinsya.

it's just isn't healthy to blame the govt., parents, r peers, teachers. it's just like finding an excuse to justify what he/she turned out to be.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's not as simple as "where there's a will, there's a way." In an ideal system, only the truly disinclined to study will fail. Given no chances, those who are already weak in one area or another, the dyslexic, the slow, those who are poor at math, will NOT be able to thrive, no matter how hard they try.

Only those who are truly and exceptionally gifted and/or motivated can escape our system. In a better system, those who are motivated to succeed but academically weak will be able to do better. I should know, I suffered in school before because I was very poor in math. With the right teacher, though, and learning environment, I was able to overcome it. I aced the Math portion of the UPCAT without even touching my scratch paper thanks to good tutoring...

But with private schools more concerned with getting better board results and flunking out those who may deserve to pass but who are just average, and with public schools only concerned with promoting students quick enough to graduate them so that they can accept new students, where does that leave the average student?

I've seen students who failed merely because they weren't "smart enough" for one school or another, but given a chance at another environment, they managed to graduate AND pass (and sometimes TOP) the Board Exams for their profession.

I know, malayo na yan sa grade school, but with the CHED and DECS penalizing private schools with poor students (aptitude and exam ratings), and public schools not doing anything to help them, you can't help but feel very sorry for these kids who NOBODY is giving a chance... just because they're "stupid".

EDIT: Additional rant: The fact that Ateneo has a rigid entrance exam for preschool, a qualification exam for their grade school students, to remove the merely "good" students from their high school batch and keep only the "exceptional students", just to prove that they have the best graduates... tha's just plain BULLSH*T right there. Had a cousin who was traumatized by that... being told that even though he passed grade seven, he wasn't good enough for his own school.
    Last edited by niky; September 4th, 2005 at 12:00 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    thats pretty sad...

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    tha's just plain BULLSH*T right there. Had a cousin who was traumatized by that... being told that even though he passed grade seven, he wasn't good enough for his own school.
    ...yess that a lots of B.S....

imho

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Only those who are truly and exceptionally gifted and/or motivated can escape our system. In a better system, those who are motivated to succeed but academically weak will be able to do better. I should know, I suffered in school before because I was very poor in math. With the right teacher, though, and learning environment, I was able to overcome it. I aced the Math portion of the UPCAT without even touching my scratch paper thanks to good tutoring...
    but that's high school to college bro. in the thread title case, grade school to HS lang d pa nila malampasan.

grade 1 to grade 6 is just basic math, science, read, write, english. it's so pathetic that these students cant even pass this. and wasting 6 years of schooling time, parent time and 6 years of allocated national budget for education.

what a waste ...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Evolution at work, you rise on your own you sink on your own.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    very disturbing..what kind of future will it bring?

againm corruption ang problema kaya walang enough na budget.tapos mga mgagaling na guro umaaalis pa ng bansa.
    Last edited by ts1n1ta; September 4th, 2005 at 05:39 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Corruption is only part of the problem, even if we didn't have corruption the system simply cannot support a citizenry that breeds like their life depended on it.
    Last edited by GasJunkie; September 4th, 2005 at 04:35 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Horrors! 6 of 1,000 pass high school entry test