The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    I feel like crying...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Originally posted by garyq
    Theveed: nice pix bro. I am a self confessed nostalgic fool. I am also a history buff and I love glossing over old photos of Manila(and it's environs) and reading the history of the old city. I was reading a book about Intramuros the other week Muslims were already established and ruling Manila when the Spaniards came. Ermita area was already considered suburbs as it was outside the wall of Intramuros. After Ermita many old rich families moved to New Manila. An old aunt of mine also said that Proj.4 area is considered very far already back then. When I have the chance to travel abroad I like walking in the inner cities, looking at museums and old buildings and wondering it must have been nice to live in Manila back then. May Tranvia pa nun and wala pang pollution. Kung wala lang traffic (or at least managed) and malinis ang air natin, malaki ang gaganda ng Manila. I saw some old plans of the Circumferential roads (e.g C3, C5) and the Radial roads and it is really nice. From the bay of Manila the C roads are like ripples or half circles going out side the city and radial roads cutting it. Same as what you have in big cities in Europe like Paris and Munich. I've visited a couple of major cities abroad and everytime, sabi nga.... there is no place like Manila. I think in our own way as tsikoteers we can contribute to bringing back the glory of what Manila was back then. Things like disciplined driving, wag magtapon ng kalat sa kalye (this I cant understand why some educated people throw out thrash outside the windows of their cars when it is basic logic to place it inside a thrash bin) or even maintaining our cars so that we dont emit excessive pollutants. Big part of the glory back then were the people, the Manilenyos who had pride in being Filipinos. Somehow we have to rediscover this lost pride. Sa atin simula nyan.

P.S bawal umiyak
    agree ako sayo gary!
    ganda ng manila before, very clean! i showed this to my parents, ayun, naalala nila yung Makati

and Manila before. Naabutan ko pa yung Glorietta na open air, Quad na ang design ng buliding ay

puro bricks, yung Sulu restaurant, yung Anson Auto Center, Rustans na geometric yung design

(color blue). I could still remember the carabao statues sa glorrieta park. Goodness, ang tanda

ko na. In fairness, ganda ng mga kuha ng pictures na yun. Highway 54 is Edsa today. Ang Rockwell

before sabi ng dad ko was Meralco plant. Langya, bigla ko naalala yung Glasurit advertisment sa

Edsa Guadalupe, yung Neon sign ng GE sa may Edsa crossing. Oh yeh, aliw yung mga cars before,

malalaki ang bodies and engine. Oo, uso mag windows down before. Yung first car ng parents ko

was an Opel Kadette, walang aircon. Ang pinaka gusto kong picture dun yung nasa may

Mandaluyong-Makati boarder in Highway 54. Ang tagal na pala nung ABC Guadalupe building dun.Oh

well, gusto ko tuloy buksan yung baul namin na puno ng photo album.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    baka may picture pa kayo ng maynila na punong-puno pa ng bulaklak?
    diba kaya naging may-nila ang pangalan niya dahil dun?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Originally posted by driven
    baka may picture pa kayo ng maynila na punong-puno pa ng bulaklak?
    diba kaya naging may-nila ang pangalan niya dahil dun?
    nyahahaha, meron nga, sa Luneta black and white.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Here is a picture of the old glorietta. Thats me (yung baby) and my sister. Circa 1983:
    * note the vinta like roof of the Sulu restaurant.
    Last edited by carlocaraddict; October 13th, 2004 at 10:41 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by GlennSter
    eksakli!!!
    I am nearly in tears as I look at those pictures as I was
    a little boy during that time and the happy memories
    of car rides with Mom and Dad to those places came
    back to me...
    Unlike most of you, I am old enough to have lived through
    that time. It was peaceful and quiet compared to now.
    Do not believe the propaganda of Anti-Marcos people
    that Martial Law Years were Dark Years. Yes, dark years
    for them because they were communists who were relegated
    to hiding in the hills. But for the ordinary citizen, life was
    peaceful and relatively crime free. There was discipline.
    Criminals and petty thieves were not brought to court where
    they can post bail and commit another crime afterwards. No!
    Criminals at that time were "salvaged" by the Metrocom.
    Crime solution was fast and simple.

Looking back through those pictures, you now ask of what
    use is our ****in' democracy if we all ever tasted was chaos
    eversince it was restored. Damn, we were much better off
    under a dictatorship...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    again....EKSAKLI.

but then again, martial law did not impress everybody....many felt that their rightw were violated...

but i cannot dismiss the thought of our country being under a dictator like marcos dahil nga sa napakaganda ng pilipinas noon.

even my parents tell me stories na yes...it was strict daw..may curfew...etc etc.but it showed discipline and cleanliness...and generally peaceful cities.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by GlennSter
    again....EKSAKLI.

but then again, martial law did not impress everybody....many felt that their rightw were violated...

but i cannot dismiss the thought of our country being under a dictator like marcos dahil nga sa napakaganda ng pilipinas noon.

even my parents tell me stories na yes...it was strict daw..may curfew...etc etc.but it showed discipline and cleanliness...and generally peaceful cities.

Not only their rights but the long term effect that the whole country has to suffer up to our great great grand children.

Sure marcoss administration was able to make projects that are very promising. Under his administration we are one of the major exporters of rice, gumawa ng maraming dam (forgot the name), kalinisan sa mga kalye, disiplina sa tao, at kung ano ano pang projects na magaganda.

However, all of that were made possible by huge loan acquisitions from abroad (Diyan niya nakuha kanyang kayamanan). Diyan nagkapatong patong ang utang natin thanks to his administration starting from 26billion pesos. Ngayon nag pile up na up to 5 trillion.

Maganda ang short term effect kaya lang in the long run tayo ang nadale.

Kung baga sa babaeng nabola sinabihan ng: "NILIBRE KA LANG NG SIOPAO NAG PAHALIK KA NA"

Back to topic, yep ang ganda ng manila noon dahil kokonti ang tao. Ngayon pag naririnig ko ang word manila. pumapasok sa utak ko KRIMEN, GULO, DUMI. Dapat pabalikin na ang mga wala namang silbi dito kung saan sila nang galing.
    Last edited by usokpower; October 14th, 2004 at 01:03 AM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    sana ganyan pa din hangang ngayon. well actually kapag madaling araw lang nangyayari yan (medyo lang.hehe) minsan linggo...

10. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    hmmmm....

i wonder... ano kaya ang magiging itsura ng manila 10, 20 or 30 years from now?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Ganda ng Manila Dati ah...