New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Naalala ko tuloy yung Toyota Crown namin dati. Those where the days. Nakakamiss

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Speking of old manila.
    Dagdag ko lang from one of the most influential band
    Experience nila sa Philippines
    No photos, sana meron

ABOUT THIS INTERVIEW:

While in the Philippines, the Beatles had been invited to a reception at Malacanang Palace by Imelda Marcos. The Beatles have stated that they had never agreed to appear at the party. They remained unaware of any problem until the next morning. As they turned on their hotel television, the Beatles learned of accidentally snubbing the First Lady by not appearing at the palace. The Beatles also found that the government-run media was now fueling a firestorm against them via television news reports of the snub. There was a scene at the airport as the Beatles attempted to leave the country.
    This interview finds the Beatles at Heathrow airport in London, returning home and describing the events that had taken place in Manila just a few days earlier.

Q: "At the airport, did they come up and start physically threatening you?"

PAUL: "We got to the airport and our road managers had a lot of trouble trying to get the equipment in because the escalators had been turned off, and things. So we got there, and we got put into the transit lounge. And we got pushed around from one corner of the lounge to another, you know."

JOHN: (impersonating, and demonstrating by shoving Paul repeatedly in the shoulder) "'You're treated like ordinary passenger!! Ordinary passenger!!' ...Ordinary passenger, what, he doesn't get kicked, does he?"

(Beatles laugh)

PAUL: (laughs) "And so they started knocking over our road managers and things, and everyone was falling all over the place."

Q: "That started worrying you, when the road manager got knocked over."

PAUL: "Yeah, and I swear there were thirty of 'em."

Q: (turning back to John) "What do you say there were?"

JOHN: "Well, I saw sort of five in sort of outfits, you know, that were doing the actual kicking and booing and shouting."

Q: "Did you get kicked any?"

JOHN: (giggling) "No, I was very delicate and moved every time they touched me."

(Beatles laugh)

JOHN: "But I was petrified... I could have been kicked and not known it, you know. We'll just never go to any nuthouses again."

Q: "Would you go to Manila again, George?"

GEORGE: "No, I didn't even want to go that time."

JOHN: "Me too."

GEORGE: "Because we'd heard that it was a terrible place anyway, and when we got there... it was proved."

Source: Video copy of the film footage

3. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I saw a newer one that referred to this. Anyway, I've read all the comments and this is what I would like to say:

Reminiscing about the 'good old days' is fine and dandy. Just don't let it get into your head and say stupid things like 'I wish I lived back then because ...blah, blah'.

Always look at the bigger picture.

In the 70's while everything looks clean and bright in Metro Manila, Pinoys were dying and suffering in Mindanao because the MNLF uprising was at its height back then. How about the other parts of the Philippines where the communists are waging their war on the government? Never heard of it? Probably because during the Martial Law years, the state runs the press. They've painted a seemingly utopian, idyllic and modern Metro Manila to avert your (and the world's) eyes to what's happening in the countryside.

To balance this pictures of a seemingly utopian and idyllic Metro Manila (the governor of which, btw, is Imelda Marcos), someone should post a picture of Zamboanga or Jolo during that time too.

Go back in time to the good old days? By all means, go back but go to Jolo or Zamboanga or Isabela or Quezon, and not in Metro Manila. See if that will change your perspective.

edit:

Contrary to what you may think, Metro Manila is NOT the Philippines. Just because everything looks perfect in Metro Manila, doesn't mean that the rest of the Philippines is the same too.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2003

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Ganda ng Manila Dati ah...