New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    In our case, 5 years din ngayon dahil sa 5 year car-plan ng kumpanya. Afterwhich you can buy the vehicle at 5% its purchase price.

Pero kung hindi, drive until it literally stops rolling. It is with heavy heart that we parted with our previous vehicles dahil alagang-alaga at low mileage sila.... Iyon nga lang, wala na akong paparadahan sa garahe and it's not my style to park in the street....

3505:kodak:
    Last edited by CVT; August 23rd, 2007 at 07:17 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I keep cars well beyond 5 years because it's cheaper in the long run. I may have to service/replace individual components. But they normally don't happen all at once and are still much cheaper to maintain than paying for a new car.

I'm not one of those who cares about what I'm seen riding in. A car's a car. it takes me from point A to point B and back. I'm just as happy commuting/riding in a bus as in driving/riding in my own car.

When I was younger, I did went through the fast car phase. Now, the urge isn't as strong.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yeah..my dad is exactly like that. if he doesnt like the car that he bought, he would sell it after 4 months or less.

If he likes it, he would keep it for 2-3 years. then sell again.

ang tumagal lang na sasakyan samin is yung safari ko. it lasted 10 years in our possession. wala kaming balak ibenta yun kundi lang kami lumipat na ng bansa.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kung sa tingin ko hindi tatagal ang pagmamahal ko sa sasakyan ko, I set a date when to sell it and have it replaced. But if I believe that our relationship will last long, I set a date when to have it repaired for the better.

Tulad ngayon, gustong gusto ko ZZ ko, set ako after 2 years, I'll have it re-painted and set-up to my preference. Considering that its already 4 years old now.

My 2 centabos.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I keep cars well beyond 5 years because it's cheaper in the long run. I may have to service/replace individual components. But they normally don't happen all at once and are still much cheaper to maintain than paying for a new car.

I'm not one of those who cares about what I'm seen riding in. A car's a car. it takes me from point A to point B and back. I'm just as happy commuting/riding in a bus as in driving/riding in my own car.

When I was younger, I did went through the fast car phase. Now, the urge isn't as strong.
    Hmmm...very good point!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Cars are consumer goods and they have planned obsolesence built into them. That's why the product cycle of a vehicle is typically 4 years (the L300 Versa Van's almost 20 year existence in the local market is more of an exception).

Some people who buy a car already have a set time table in their mind when they will replace it. My mom's friend sells the vehicle as soon as it reaches the 5 year old mark. No, she's not an enthusiast. She sells them because she is afraid the car might start to have problems soon.

Most enthusiasts who do work on their own cars are not that easy to separate from their machines.
    Ganun naman talaga ang life span ng mga tsikot, 4-5 years. After that, puro problema na, kahit na gaano ka kaalaga. Para bagang age also catches up with cars. Sa Japan nga raw after a certain number of years mas mahal na di hamak ang registration ng sasakyan, so parang ineengganyo nilang magpalit na lang ng bago yung mga tao. Lately nga, mas maaga na lumalabas ang mga sakit ng mga tsikot. Parang bumaba na rin ang quality ng mga auto ngayon, mapa-Japanese, European o American man. Yung mga Korean surprisingly ang nag-iimprove ang gawa.

Kung may kakayahan ka naman magpalit ng auto after each model cycle, why not di ba?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if he has the moolah, then let him.
    ako before, i had the habit of changing cellphones every month. trade+add cash parati ang gimik.

ayun nagsawa na rin.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I try to buy durable brands. I sell them when I 'feel' na malapit na magkasira na hindi part ng maintenance/service schedule kasi wala akong time magpagawa or worse, masiraan sa daan. Usually, this is at 5-6.5 years pero kung hindi durable yung nabili ko it could be as recent as 3.5.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Our 1995 Contour SE is 13 years old. It's been paid off since 1999. The only expenses for it since has been for periodic maintenance and regular wear and tear, yearly insurance and registration fees, and the occasional repairs. Those expenses are still nothing close to paying for a new car. The yearly registration is around ~$60. Compare that to the registration fees of our relatively new 2006 Sonata which is over $300. Same goes for insurance. Insurance for our Contour is less than half of our Sonata.

Occasional repairs have set me back $400-$600. But it's one-time and nothing close to the $500/month in new-car payments.

I really can't see how the cost of maintaining a 5+ year old car can cost more than paying for a new car unless the owner never once took care of the older car and repair costs have mounted.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 24th, 2007 at 06:03 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    I try to buy durable brands. I sell them when I 'feel' na malapit na magkasira na hindi part ng maintenance/service schedule kasi wala akong time magpagawa or worse, masiraan sa daan. Usually, this is at 5-6.5 years pero kung hindi durable yung nabili ko it could be as recent as 3.5.
    bagay sa iyo sir ay lease.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Fond of changing Cars