New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Manila Times, Apr.26

A Roxboro, Canada, woman has filed a formal complaint with a local school board after her son was disciplined by a lunch program monitor for eating in what she says is a customary Filipino manner.

Luc Cagadoc’s table behavior is traditionally Filipino; he fills his spoon by pushing the food on his plate with a fork, his mother, Maria Theresa Gallardo, said. But after being punished by the school lunch monitor more than 10 times this year for his mealtime conduct—including his technique—the 7-year-old told Gallardo said last week that he was too embarrassed to eat his dinner.

“Mommy, I don’t want to eat anymore,” Gallardo said Luc told her at the kitchen table April 11. “My teacher is telling me that eating with a spoon and fork is yucky and disgusting.” When he eats with a spoon and fork, instead of only with one utensil, the Grade 2 pupil said the lunch monitor moves him to a table to sit by himself.

Upset over Luc’s story, Gallardo confronted the lunchtime caregiver the next day and, on April 13, she telephoned the school’s principal, Normand Bergeron.

The principal’s reaction was more shocking. It brought her to tears. “He said, ‘Madame, you are in Canada. Here in Canada you should eat the way Canadians eat.’”

Gallardo, who is originally from Misamis Oriental, moved to Montreal from the Philippines in 1999. She was a former contract worker and now an immigrant.

“I find it very prejudiced and it’s racist. He’s supposed to be acting like a professional. This is supposed to be a free country with free expressions of culture and religion. This is how we eat; we eat with a fork and spoon,” she said.

Luc’s father, Aldrin Cagadoc, was also surprised by the principal’s comment. “I can’t believe that even the principal would say that,” he said. “A person of his caliber, I wouldn’t expect him to say that.”

Gallardo, who operates a daycare service out of her Roxboro home and is close to completing her studies in early childhood education, wrote a letter last week and lodged a formal complaint with the school authorities.

She disagreed with the lunch monitor’s approach to teaching children how to eat and said it is emotionally upsetting to Luc.

When she questioned Bergeron about punishing students for their table habits, the reply she got was: “If your son eats like a pig he has to go to another table because this is the way we do it and how we’re going to do it every time.”

The principal of the 387-student Roxboro school said he explained his position on using two utensils to Gallardo during their telephone conversation.

“I want them to eat correctly with respect for others who are eating with them. That’s all I ask. Personally, I don’t have any problems with it, but it is not the way you see people eat every day. I have never seen somebody eat with a spoon and a fork at the same time.”

==============================================

Grabe naman ito.......sa Canada ba ganito talaga? Buti nga gumamit pa ng spoon and fork eh.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Pano na lang kaya kung kamay ang ginamit at ang isang paa eh nakataas?

Hindi na eating like a pig yun sa kanila kundi eating like a monster na.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ala eh! di pala kami pwedeng mga batangueno diyan.
    eh di hindi rin pwedeng magsabaw ng kape? ano ga yan!

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    kamayan nalang hehe

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    as if they eat a freaking hamburger with a fork & knife.

sheesh.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    There are still a lot of places in other countries where racism is still prevalent. Good thing the mother stood up to assert her son's rights kaya lang it might take the courts to resolve the issue. Kawawa naman yung bata..tsk..tsk..

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Hay nako, another piece of white trash. May mga Caucasian na talagang sobrang manlait ng hindi nila kauri.

8. FrankDrebin Guest
    I wonder what will the lady say about the way the Chinese, Japanese, et al, eat?

9. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    They're taking their etiquette a little too seriously over there. What's wrong with using a spoon and fork? Spoons are not only for soup, IMO.

Just because the principal has never seen anybody eat with a spoon and fork at the same time, doesn't mean that it's wrong or it can't be done. At imposible naman yatang hindi pa siya nakakakita ng ganun. All he has to do is turn on the TV or watch a movie. And he calls himself a principal, with such a myopic view of the world.

"Personally, I don't have any problems with it"
    The principal claims he doesn't have a problem with it, but he's the only one fussing over it. Were the other students complaining? Were the other parents complaining? I don't think the child was inconveniencing anyone with his eating habits, and that's the important thing.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; April 26th, 2006 at 05:12 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    "Personally, I don’t have any problems with it, but it is not the way you see people eat every day. I have never seen somebody eat with a spoon and a fork at the same time.”

The principal says she doesn't mind, but its how you eat with others she's worried about. That's pure BS. Seems in that school, they don't teach tolerance.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Filipino Child Punished In Canada For Table Manners