The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Filipinization of Jasmine Trias

First posted 04:50pm (Mla time) Sept 28, 2005
    By Marinel Cruz
    Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A25 of the September 29, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

“I HAD A HARD TIME RECORDING the Filipino songs in my album. Someone had to explain to me what I was saying. We had to change one word because I couldn’t pronounce it.”

Jasmine Trias, the Fil-American finalist on last year’s “American Idol,” was talking about the word tandaan in the song “Sana Lagi.”

“We changed it to maramdaman,” Jasmine told a group of writers during the launch of her 14-track debut album under Universal Records. “In the end—when I finally understood what I was singing—I think I did a pretty good job.”

Jasmine, who grew up in Hawaii, has been in the country since early September. This time around—her first visit was in October 2004—her mom, Nora, accompanied her. Dad Rudy was her companion last year. “It’s her turn to be my chaperone,” said the singer. “[But] she’s in Zambales right now, visiting our relatives there. That’s where she’s from.”

She said her dad was taking care of her brothers and sister back home.

Terrific ‘turon’

Jasmine was obviously enjoying herself outside the recording studio, too. “I spent a few days in Tagaytay. It was great. I got to experience the culture outside Metro Manila,” she enthused.

She added, “The food here is awesome!”

Jasmine said she had tried such Pinoy dishes as chicken adobo, sinigang na hipon, chicken tinola and palabok. She declared turon as “my favorite, with the brown sugar and langka.” She said people had been offering her balut. “I don’t think I can ever eat it, though.”

She was most proud of the fact that “Filipinos came together to support their own,” Jasmine said, citing the case of boxer Manny Pacquiao, who recently won the World Boxing Council International super featherweight title against Mexican Hector Velazquez.

As for her being a role model, she said: “It’s a great feeling. It makes me more motivated to keep on representing, or being an inspiration to Filipinos.”

haaay naku! nuon nung nagco-compete sya sa american idol ok sige suportahan ta ka, pero after she was asked by a filipino reporter 3 times about her filipino ancestry and SHE DENIED IT 3 TIMES e kumukulo bigla dugo ko pag naririnig ko pangalan ng bruhang ito! di siya bumenta sa US so ngayon pupunta sa pinas para magbenta ng album at may kapal pa ng mukha magsabi na “It’s a great feeling. It makes me more motivated to keep on representing, or being an inspiration to Filipinos.” ulol!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dineny niya?

saan at kailan?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hehe napaka big deal naman...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    laos na c jasmine hehe

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    during the finals she was asked by a filipino reporter 3 times and her answer was "i'm an american". only when she was proded a 4th time did she said that her parents are from the philippines. i don't remember the newspaper anymore dami ko kasi binabasa na dyaryo dito e, but i remember the reporter writing that she wanted to wring Jasmine's neck at the time.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    grabe naman un...

nakakaloko..

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    masisisi nyo ba talaga yung tao, I mean, she was born an american. Di naman ethnicity ang tinatanong.

no offense but all this "Filipino" association of Fil-Am is kinda O.A.

Pag negative ang balita tinataboy (like PBA Fil-Ams)

Pero pag artista panay salo ng media as "Pinoy/pinay"

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Totally agree with the Veed.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    She is "Hawaiian" and wants to spread the aloha spirit. Kaya nga inis na inis ako sa mga pinoy here and the states na todo supporta sa kanya just because she has Pinoy ancestry (which she only mentions in passing and if prodded).

WE ALL KNOW THAT FANTASIA IS 10 TIMES BETTER THAN HER. jeeez. vote for who's the best. Kaya andito yan ay para kumita ng pera.... ngayun lang yan nagpipinoypinoyan dahil laos na.

btw, a lot of pinoys in Hawaii try to pass themselves off as Hawaiians and hide their Pinoy roots. surprise, surprise. pakain ko sa kanya yung gumamela nya eh.
    Last edited by bad driver; September 29th, 2005 at 11:07 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    actually she tried to pass herself as hispanic.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
The Filipinization of Jasmine Trias