New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Students Create Wireless Self-Driving Car That Navigates City Streets
    Engineer: 'In Battlefield Environment, Can We Have Robotic Convoys?'

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A group of engineering students at the University of Central Florida have created a vehicle that is being called the car of the future because it can drive itself around town without remote assistance from humans. "We will tell it to go out to McDonald's and it will go through the drive-through and we sit in the back and it will get our food," lead engineer Don Harper said.

A 1996 Subaru Outback has been computerized to back out of a parking space, navigate a roadway and stop at an obstruction -- without human assistance.

A USB drive serves as the car's brains, the engineers said. A route is programmed with directions and it is logged into the complex system.

"It is telling the (car) that there is a street ahead and to turn right," student Remo Pillat. "It gives the robot an idea of where the street goes."

The Knight Rider VIP has rotating laser sensors on each side of the car, four computers, a Global Positioning System, and motors to control the brake, gas and steering.

"There is a little motor that pulls the cable and that is how it gets gas and the same thing with the brake," Pillat said.

A wireless Internet connection on the roof allows engineers to send directions to the car from anywhere in the world.

"That is the first step," Harper said. "In a military or battlefield-like environment, can we have robotic convoys?"

The students have entered their Knight Rider VIP in a California competition in the hopes of winning a top prize worth $2 million.

It took one year and about 10 people to build.
    I need this one to take my ass home :bwahaha:

Full Article Linky
    Slideshow Here

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Yup! a thing of the future.

The roads have to me augmented with sensors, electronic markers, et al to complement the instruments on board the vehicle....

4101:victory:

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Yup! a thing of the future.

The roads have to me augmented with sensors, electronic markers, et al to complement the instruments on board the vehicle....

4101:victory:

and if ever full-blast na ang plans about this, this will definitely boost the semicon industry we are working with, d ba CVT? Di pa kasi nauulit ang golden years of 1999-2000

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    i need a convoy of black cars with sirens everyday sa Manila. ok yan para wala ng papaswelduhin

Drunk but don't want to drive? No Problemo!