New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    pardon me if the question is rather naive....

i read an article some time ago saying that RP drivers(specifically sa Manila) are better than those in the US and Canada, quite simply because traffic here is chaotic, and we somehow manage to get to our destination in one piece. Sa tingin nyo, does it translate to the race track as well? all except perhaps drag racing, does driving in Manila, in effect, train you to be a better racer?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    i wouldn't think so

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk
    pardon me if the question is rather naive....

i read an article some time ago saying that RP drivers(specifically sa Manila) are better than those in the US and Canada, quite simply because traffic here is chaotic, and we somehow manage to get to our destination in one piece. Sa tingin nyo, does it translate to the race track as well? all except perhaps drag racing, does driving in Manila, in effect, train you to be a better racer?
    Maybe not a racer since Manila driving doesn't involve much high speed driving. But Manila drivers definately can manuever in tight spots better than drivers in the US. I have Fil-Am friends who learned to drive here and refuse to go behind the wheel in Manila because of the driving style there which is basically organized chaos. I learned to drive here also but figured out that people are more likely to give way in Manila than in the US so am able to drive there. IMO in the US if the other car has right of way they most likely won't give way and will just hit your car.

EDIT: Keep in mind that in the US the speed limit is basically 65MPH or 105KPH sometimes it can be 75MPH or 121KPH. States like Montana and Wyoming have no specified speed limits on the interstates as long as it is within reason for the road conditions. In most instances people drive at least 10MPH over the limit anyways.
    Last edited by redorange; July 26th, 2006 at 12:58 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hell no.

racing involves perfect driving mechanics like using the perfect line, smooth inputs, and complete mastery of the physics of driving.

it's true that racing also requires sharp reflexes and nerves of steel, but those skills are used more to respond to track conditions, data from your crew, and inputs from your car...and not stupid jeepney drivers

for the most part, driving to avoid accidents is not a big part of racing because the other drivers are all pros and take a fairly predictable line (well, unless JP Montoya is on the track :bwahaha: )

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    here is my take.

surviving manila traffic and racing on track was like comparing apples and oranges. why so? because when you drive here in the streets of metro, all you see was chaos and unruly drivers. true, it increases your awareness of the obstructions like pedestrians and other motorists. however, you are becoming one of them whether you like it or not, just to survive.

whereas, racing requires discipline and understanding of the basic law of physics. while it is true of the racing will improve your driving skills on the streets, the opposite is not.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    we wish. to some extent it can even be detrimental to acquiring skill in racing. although with the right temperament any good driver can be trained for that purpose. our old timers on track like silverio and pocholos trained on the circuit and not in edsa. however it's nice to sometimes imagine that i drive like schumi on my way to work. ;-p

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    slalom racing maybe...

you'll master the techniques on how to avoid potholes, stupid jeepneys/FX which load and unload passengers where they wish to. and don't forget those morons on their motorcycles who feels so invincible cutting lanes.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    No connection to me. You can't even go above 40kph if youre in rush hour. But it is true youre awareness will be increased. EDSA is a good training ground for neophytes if you wish defensive and offensive driving.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    That's true... slalom and nothing else.

Racing on a circuit is completely different than driving in traffic. In traffic, you're only aware of your speed and heading in a general sense, and are concentrating on avoiding obstacles. It's more of an arcade game than true racing.

In racing, you don't exactly need razor sharp reflexes (but they help). You need to read the road ahead and plan your attack two or three corners in advance. You need to plan your speed, braking and turning before you do it... not as you do it. But heck, that's how I drive.

Actually, racing on the circuit is easier than threading through traffic in the Metro, because:

1. You always know where your car is headed or might go if you lose grip
    2. You're all headed in the same direction
    3. You're all scared sh*tless of wrecking your cars

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    pros of driving in manila traffick

1. you learn how to be patient
    2. you become more alert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
driving in manila and racing