New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [SIZE="4"]Does drinking cold water help in losing weight?[/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    back when I had the time to go to the gym, my instructor says it helps lose weight* only if you reduce or eliminate your sodium intake. sodium sticks to water thus resulting into water weight.

The body sets itself into an equilibrium if intake of water is plentiful so you urinate almost every hour because the body is expecting that water is abundant.

it does reduce weight but does it reduce fat?
    Last edited by Negus; June 12th, 2010 at 06:20 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well, I was thinking like this. ...cold water once enters the body needs to be heated up. The body would require a certain amount of calories to burn to heat up the cold water, hence burning more energy.

Another line of thought went like ... if you eat food with cold water, the body will have to devote more energy to reheat the cold food in your stomach before digestion can take place. Also since it's cold, the food in the stomach will take longer to be digested.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I live in a place with heavy snowfall. I shiver a lot in the morning so my body works hard to heat up. I don't know if that has the same effect as what you've saying but I lost 11 kgs since coming here (I jog once a week in -12 degrees temperature). but I attribute it more to change of diet (mostly fish).

I think your'e on to something. But I think temperatures in the Philippines won't allow you to get you're body to shiver and work hard to heat up.

try mo siguro magpaginaw ka sa aircon sabay kain ng yelo to make you're body shiver.
    Last edited by Negus; June 12th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    double post
    Last edited by Negus; June 12th, 2010 at 06:49 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    [SIZE=4]Does drinking cold water help in losing weight?[/SIZE]
    It's better to drink water at room temperature for the reasons already stated. Cold water takes longer to process.

I usually exercise first before breakfast. I drink tap water afterwards because cold water magnifies my hunger pangs.

If I exercise during the early evening hours, I sometimes drink cold water afterwards since I'm not really hungry yet.

Drinking water as a whole helps lose weight although regulating the types and amounts of food you eat works better. I don't really need to lose weight. I still need to maintain my weight though. That's why I keep a log of the food (type, amount, calories) I eat daily.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    well, I was thinking like this. ...cold water once enters the body needs to be heated up. The body would require a certain amount of calories to burn to heat up the cold water, hence burning more energy.

Another line of thought went like ... if you eat food with cold water, the body will have to devote more energy to reheat the cold food in your stomach before digestion can take place. Also since it's cold, the food in the stomach will take longer to be digested.
    shucks ang hirap intindihin. pero ako i drink hot water after a heavy meal. lagi ako nanghihingi sa resto para ma-burp lalo na kung overeat. kung heavy meat naman i make sure i drink 1/4 cup of coke light

one thing i've noticed though, parang mas mabilis tumaas ang heart rate ko when walking in cold climate. baka applicable dun yun cold water theory mo na yan. pero tingin you must drink very very cold water

i bring ice-melted water sa gym. bago ko punta sa gym, iwan ko container sa freezer, then i bring tom na iced water na. then sini-sip ko natutunaw na water. i suppose applicable ito kasi 2 weeks ago i was 156lbs bec. of the many food trips sa U.S. now i'm back to 148lbs ulit.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i bring ice-melted water sa gym. bago ko punta sa gym, iwan ko container sa freezer, then i bring tom na iced water na. then sini-sip ko natutunaw na water. i suppose applicable ito kasi 2 weeks ago i was 156lbs bec. of the many food trips sa U.S. now i'm back to 148lbs ulit.
    heh, maybe you lost weight because you regularly went to the gym ;)

I live in a place with heavy snowfall. I shiver a lot in the morning so my body works hard to heat up. I don't know if that has the same effect as what you've saying but I lost 11 kgs since coming here (I jog once a week in -12 degrees temperature). but I attribute it more to change of diet (mostly fish).
    you need to increase your food intake when moving from warm to cold climates to maintain your body weight. if you didn't, that could be one of the reason you lost 11kgs (along with exercise and eating mainly fish)

BTT:
    i would suggest to not make your stomach suffer and just lose weight in the conventional way.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    That's probably it. Even moderate exercise can have a big effect. I tend to have daily hard exercise. I need 2800 cal daily just to maintain my weight. 2800 calories is an awful lot of food for me especially when they're fruit and veggies heavy.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    yeah i was just being polite heheh and encouraging *gh to exercise. si ghost kasi kung anu-ano na iniisip, drinking cold water will make you lose weight heheh

*gh, here's a thought. basta intake, it will never help you lose weight. it's not logical.

papawis lang talaga

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Does drinking cold water help in losing weight?