New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I always read about this here, in other car sites...pero what exactly is defensive driving? hinde ba defensive driving equats to being an aggressive driver? hence when we thought that we're just being defensive eh iba na ang dating sa ibang motorist...

enlighten me pls...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    IMO expect the unexpected at all times…it’s so essential here lalo na if you’re aware how many accidents could happen once your on the road. siguro kung tangke sinasakyan ko hindi ko iisipin ito...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Defensive driving also means lowering your standards somewhat. A lot of accidents happen as a result of assuming that other motorists are as considerate and diligent as you are.

Accept the fact and anticipate that the other driver will inevitably make mistakes, so that there'll be less chances that you'll be taken by surprise when that moment comes.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; November 13th, 2007 at 12:09 PM.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Defend yourself, not your lane.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    I always read about this here, in other car sites...pero what exactly is defensive driving? hinde ba defensive driving equats to being an aggressive driver? hence when we thought that we're just being defensive eh iba na ang dating sa ibang motorist...
    enlighten me pls...
    I'd say that defensive driving is not necessarily passive driving. You will have to be aggressive at times. Like you drive at the speed of prevailing traffic or enter a merging traffic at their speed. Accidents usually happen because of hesitation by some drivers. In a sense, defensive driving is driving so that other drivers can predict your distance, your speed, and your direction. And they can avoid you.
    That is why, despite of defensive driving habits, accident happens because some drivers simply miscalculates, hesitates, and become unmindful of other vehicles.
    But what our drivers need is plain and simple courtesy. Or that posturing that requires respect for other drivers and for the vehicle one drives. And not trying to outrun, outmaneuver, or outsmart the other driver. O walang patumanggang paggamit ng sasakyan. Or so I think.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The best defense is a good offense.

Quote Originally Posted by GaLynxmo View Post
    In a sense, defensive driving is driving so that other drivers can predict your distance, your speed, and your direction. And they can avoid you.
    ^This is the best way to sum it up. This means:

Never slow down suddenly and for no apparent reason. Tap the brakes lightly before you start slowing down to let the person behind you know that you are about to do so.

Never do a double lane change to overtake [size=1]asshole![/size], and never overtake another vehicle that is about to overtake. - you are putting yourself and the other driver in danger, because he is looking forward to see if the road is clear, not in his mirrors to see if there's a ham trying to collect his side mirror for a trophy.

Don't weave.

Don't suddenly swerve. - signal if you're going to turn, merge or overtake.

And when you're going to do something, do it decisively. - don't hover between lanes, suddenly squirt forward or slow down or weave in and out of lane... if you're going to do something, do it.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    ...never overtake another vehicle that is about to overtake. - you are putting yourself and the other driver in danger, because he is looking forward to see if the road is clear, not in his mirrors to see if there's a ham trying to collect his side mirror for a trophy.
    this is what I hate the most. i will make the signal indicating my intention to overtake, when some asshole from behind will beat me to it. kaya ngayon I always anticipate this. pati yung mga motorcycles that will just come out from nowhere.

The key to defensive driving for me is to anticipate every scenario and react accordingly.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    yea, right on niky.
    we can still cite or enumerate some more of those crazy driving habits. In addition to that, Id say:
    1. Dont change lane when turning on a corner. Or going to the left
    after turning right or vice versa.
    2. Dont overtake just to turn to a corner. Allow the other vehicle to go
    ahead, then take the lane after him to turn.
    3. Don't make quick/sudden brakes in heavy traffic.
    4. Don't make quick lane changes after a stop.
    5. Follow street lanes, and avoid driving on two lanes top swerve on either lane.
    In other words, the key word here is "predictability" no more no less. Other additions to this? your concern is as good as mine.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Here's a good tool for defensive driving. see your blind spot!

http://sonus-usa.com/autobahn.html

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Other than the obvious, a lot of which has been posted here already, I'd say:1. Presence of mind -- Parang yung sa ROTC? You have to focus on your driving AND your environment -- the vehicles around you and even the shoulders of the streets. On well-paved provincial roads, for example, the following can be encountered: Cow Pies can mean crossing animals, Farmlands can mean kuligligs and rice on the road, bball courts can mean balls flying and kids chasing them, etc.2. Assuming others DON'T drive or walk defensively. This has saved me countless times. Two of them very important ones. Once may yaya crossing the street carrying one kid and holding the other with her hand. Super menor ako dahil assume ko preoccupied yung yaya dun sa karga at baka mahina ang hawak dun sa toddler. Ayun, tumakbo nga ng tawid yung toddler. Para naman ako para sigawan yung yaya.Another time, may 3 bata sa tabi naglalaro pero mukhang may pinagtatalunan yung dalawa. Nag-menor ako. Ayun, sinuntok nung isa yung isang bata. Yung tinamaan naman umiwas -- right onto the street. Kung di ako yung natapat sa kaniya, tiyak either nasa ospital siya or sementeryo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
defensive driving?