New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    cloning usually is done by skimmers who copy thru swiping your card thru a card reader and implanting your account details to a blank card. The RF card is now being made to use by BDO thru its new BDO ATM Mastercard (paypass)

2. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Metrobank called me up around three or four weeks ago saying my Visa card has been flagged for questionable transactions and will be deactivated, to be replaced by a new card. I asked details of the last successful transactions but all were legitimately mine. I asked if they can tell me if there were failed transactions but the customer support staff who called me said they don't have those details.

I have not used the cards online for a long time, and my only recent purchases before that have been in Shangri La (to acquire relatively big ticket items from [supposedly] reputable stores, Sony-Abenson and Lucerne).

The strange thing is that I use my other card quite extensively to do physical purchases, as well as do online transactions to pay domain names, acquire web hosting, and do Amazon, Ovi Store and App Store purchases, but it has never been flagged whatsoever. I don't know if this is because my other card, a BPI Mastercard, is equipped with an RFID chip, so it might be more difficult to clone.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mas madali i-clone ang mga cards with RFID. You don't even have to use it to be cloned. Someone can just pass a scanner beside you and cloned na agad ang card mo.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Shp8BN1IYM"]YouTube - KMOV St Louis showing RFID credit card cloning[/ame]

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalron View Post
    I don't know if this is because my other card, a BPI Mastercard, is equipped with an RFID chip, so it might be more difficult to clone.
    AFAIK bro, BPIMC is a Smart Card. But the chip, which most probably is a microprocessor with memory, does not have RFID feature. That is why, it still has to be inserted in a reader and not just "scanned"....

12.1K:drunk:

5. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

AFAIK bro, BPIMC is a Smart Card. But the chip, which most probably is a microprocessor with memory, does not have RFID feature. That is why, it still has to be inserted in a reader and not just "scanned"....

12.1K:drunk:
    Thanks for the correction. It IS a smart card, not an RFID.

BTT

One thing I avoid in any establishment is for the sales people asking for an additional ID and whisking it away, far from sight. There have been numerous cases where a credit card is photographed front to back along with the owner's ID, showing addresses and personal info like TIN and SSS numbers. If the salespeople ask for an ID, I give it on the condition that I see what they do with it. This prevents unscrupulous people from using my card online by providing info they have from my ID. This is also the reason why, where possible, I make my billing address different from my ID home address, with my billing address usually my office or on my other house.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My BPI MC is a smartcard. I don't think I like the idea of a credit card that can be scanned wirelessly. Mapa-praning ako sa mga katabi ko within 10m radius anywhere I go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
credit card cloning?