New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    guys revive ko lang tong thread...

What's a good starter handheld radio? i've looked online, seems there are units that have AA/AAA battery adaptors(prepper din kasi ako).

From what i gather, the top units seem to be from Yaesu, Motorola, iCom, Kenwood -- costs top dollar too ^_^. Then there's Baofeng, Hytera from China, which are also OK.

Tama ba pagkaintindi ko, handheld/base radios can pick up FM/AM stations?

Lastly, advisable po bang kumuha ng submersible/marine type? It seems a little extreme for me, baka pwede na yung splashproof?
    Last edited by badkuk; August 19th, 2014 at 10:57 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Ang question muna siguro is san mo gagamitin ang radyo? Commercial? Ham? Personal use? Each classification have different requirements. You might need to take an exam or just pay for your license sa NTC to use radio frequencies in PH.

The best and tried and tested brands are of course those coming from the big three (icom, kenwood, yaesu) add also motorola. Again they come with a big price.

Depends also if you want portable radios or mobile base. Add in the power supply, coaxial cable, and external antenna if you go the mobile base route.

Anyway these are my preliminary questions in using radio transceiver.

Hth

73!

de DV1UAR

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

3. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Meron kaming CB nung 80s, kaya medyo may natatandaan pa ako sa "10 code" til now.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    guys revive ko lang tong thread...

What's a good starter handheld radio? i've looked online, seems there are units that have AA/AAA battery adaptors(prepper din kasi ako).

From what i gather, the top units seem to be from Yaesu, Motorola, iCom, Kenwood -- costs top dollar too ^_^. Then there's Baofeng, Hytera from China, which are also OK.
    Get the 5watter handheld 2M tranceiver, you could tune to different frequencies and use it for personal com like during vehicle convoys and emergencies. AFAIK NTC doesnt require permits for commercial UHF band 5watter and below. VHF Amateur band if i remember correctly nasa 2.5W PEP ang allowed and it requires you permit/exam. Price range of transceivers nowadays are very cheap (ranging from 1K to 7K) unlike those 80's/90's prices are up to several hundred thousands.

I'd suggest get the known brands IC, Yaesu, Kenwood, Motorolla. There are lots of China(inc Baofeng, Hytera) and those programmable fixed frequencies which from what ive heared quality is not at par with the known brands. Those programmable fixed channel don't let you tune without pluggin to a computer. Most handheled are built in rechargeable bat packs, tho some model have an option for disposable ones(batpack enclosure) most are pluggable on car battery or external DC supply..

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Tama ba pagkaintindi ko, handheld/base radios can pick up FM/AM stations?

Lastly, advisable po bang kumuha ng submersible/marine type? It seems a little extreme for me, baka pwede na yung splashproof?
    Handheld radios are basically transceiver(transmitter and receiver). They operate on certain frequency range LF, HF, VHF, UHF(check the electromagnetic spectrum). Household AM and FM bands does not fall on HAM radio fruequencies because it is illegal to use them for personal communications esp in larger power outputs. There are only alloted bands for HAM/Amateur and commercial enthusiast. The rest like Radio/TV broadcast, radar, microwave transmission like point-to-point terrestrial, satcom, cellular are licensed bands - operator need to apply for the frequency before they acquire the radio equipment.

Same reason why our cellular phones have NTC sticks on it or similar radio equipt. HAM falls on semi regulated and the purpose is for users not to tweak and go beyond the rated power and frequency thus affecting other licensed freqs. Some frequencies under microwave and nearing light spectrum are not so regulated so most of home appliance are made to operate on those range. Example of which are those WiFi transceivers, your typical magnetron microwave oven, and micrometer wavelength in laser/optical communications.

It is encouraged that you get to know more on electronics if you want to maintain the equipment. Tuning the antennae requires you proper tools like SWR meter, PL259 RG6/58 crimper plus a very good 13.8VDC power supply.. I remember those times i could make 5l8 lambda whip antenna out from PL259 connector and a piece of brass rod.. The most simpliest i made was the quarter wave antenna for the 40meter CB using a home insulator and 10gauge solid-wire. Now most of the old radio are in the box, i think the capacitors dried out and the HF needs retuning.. I dont bother checking them anymore since i only use the newer compact mobile-base for maritime application..

IDK about the submersibles, unless you live under the sea, own a submarine, or hiding in the bottom of the sea then it should be interesting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
CB/HAM radio: where to start