New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    lam ko may mga authorities tayo tungkol dito e, feedback naman po...

no po ba mas maganda sa dalawa? am also looking at nikon d70s, but i'm bothered by the size.

i'm an enthusiast upgrading from film/low-end digicam to an entry-level dslr cam.

...TIA mga peeps!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i once compared a 350d and D70..
    mas gusto ko 'ung form ng D70..
    mukhang toy na ung 350D.
    Though they said that adding a battery grip to the 350D will help a lot in handling it.

you can check dpreview, steves-digicams.
    you can compare the features of 350d, D50 and D70s.
    you can also check pbase to look into sample pictures.

biased ako sa nikon (because i got the D70).
    Last edited by wreckless; September 21st, 2005 at 12:16 AM.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ace
    lam ko may mga authorities tayo tungkol dito e, feedback naman po...

no po ba mas maganda sa dalawa? am also looking at nikon d70s, but i'm bothered by the size.

i'm an enthusiast upgrading from film/low-end digicam to an entry-level dslr cam.

...TIA mga peeps!
    You are bothered by the size of the Nikon D70s? Most people prefer the D70/s for its more "proper" or proportional size compared to the compact 350D.

Actually each camera has its own pro's and con's. Imo, there is clearly no clear cut choice between the two (350D vs D70/s). Forget the D50, since it is quite crippled and its price is quite close to a 350D or D70/s.

If you are to get the 350D locally (which is the most practical thing to do for warranty purposes), they only sell the kit lens so you have to shell out another Php 14K for a Sigma lens since the kit lens is quite bad at smaller aperatures. If you find that the 350D is too compact for your taste, then you have to shell another Php 8K for the battery grip which really improves the situation. Depending on your budget and preference, you might have to shell out an additional Php 22K (14K sigma lens + 8K battery grip), on top of the 350D kit (Php 53K).

On the other hand, if you get the D70/s locally (kit lens also, which is few thousand cheaper than the 350D kit) you really dont need to purchase an extra lens since the Nikkor kit lens is quite good already. Nikon does not manufacture a specific battery grip for the D70/s but third parties are available on the net such as one by Habtronics. To sum it up, no additional accessories needed, so just have to get the D70/s kit which is around Php 51K.

Based on warranty and repairs, I would get Canon since it has the better after-sales service of the two companies. Nikon's after sales service are being handled by Columbia, which is REALLY BAD/POOR.

Read more on the cameras (reviews and user feedbacks) at:

www.dpreview.com
    www.steves-digicams.co.uk

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    350D.

i intend to use this camera (which i will be picking up soon) as a walkabout camera, so i appreciate the significantly more compact form and lighter weight. i don't find it too small at all; with a larger lens like the 17-85 IS or 10-22 ultrawide, there's a lot of camera to wrap your fingers around comfortably.

#2: image noise. i'll be using an f/4-5.6 and an f/3.5-4.5 lens with this puppy, which means that for certain types of shooting, i'll find myself bumping up the ISO all the way to 1600. the 350D is significantly less noisy than the D70.

#3: lens choices (more with canon, plus the third parties). all the good nikon glass are ultra-heavy and are priced ultra-heavy too. on the other hand, canon has the relatively affordable 17-40 f/4 L and the 70-200 f/4 L as pro-grade lenses that are relatively affordable. there's also the new 24-105 f/4 L IS, which is simply an unbeatable range. there's also the 17-85 IS, which makes a great default lens. the 10-22 is an excellent ultra-wide (16 mm!!) for the 350D. for my purposes, nikon doesn't have much offerings to rival these versatile solutions. the standard 18-55 kit lens on the canon does indeed feel like a toy, however.

so i'm taking the 350D... but on the othe hand, the D70 offers wireless flash right on the camera, spot metering, 1/500 max flash sync (all of which can be very useful in certain situations) more buttons, and an LCD screen protector. so buy the one that suits your needs. if you're buying as a kit only (no additional lenses), the D70 is a better deal since you get the good 18-70 mm AF-S lens. the D70 has already been replaced by the D70s (which is pretty much the same camera). note that the D70 is an old model and will probably be replaced with a new model in the next few months.

if you currently own nikon or canon lenses for your film SLR, they'll probably work on the digital SLR too, so that can be a huge deciding factor.

lastly, think well if a DSLR is what you want or need. a top-end prosumer digicam, like the Olympus C-8080WZ, may be all you need. for a much lower price, you get a top-notch lens that would cost six-digit figures for an SLR, live preview on the LCD and an articulating LCD screen (a really useful feature sometimes). you'll buy an SLR for the shorter shutter lag and shot-to-shot speeds and for the low noise even at high ISO, and probably to a smaller extent, the availability of specialized lenses like ultrawides or ultra-telephotos. for the best of both worls, there's the Sony DSC-R1, which combines prosumer features with the large-sensor performance of a DSLR.
    Last edited by mbt; September 21st, 2005 at 12:38 AM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Are you considering other brands?. like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/panasonic/lumix_dmc_fz20
    just an opinion... good luck.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TY sa input mga peeps! (btw, i'm in riyadh.)

i've actually done a lot of online research for the tech side already. also been to the local shops here to actually see & "feel" these models. pero iba pa din yung 1st hand info like from you guys.

I think sir number001 is right about writing off the d50. & the d70s is already out here so it's now between 350d & d70 for me.

sir mbt, i too would want a walkabout/travel camera. most of my shots would be with/about my kids & while travelling that's why i'm considering the more compact 350d. but like sir wreckless mentioned, i also find it somewhat "plasticky" & not ridgid.

comparably i think the feel & look of the d70s more professional in all aspects. but then again, the extra weight & bulk was really a consideration for me... sensya na, tamad lang kasi ako magbitbit.

fyi: the 350d kit sells here for about us$1060, while the d70s costs about us$1250 (w/ nikkor 18-70 af-s dx).

still not really sure, but now i'm getting inclined to the nikon d70s! any last words? thanks again peeps!

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Greaseman
    Are you considering other brands?. like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/panasonic/lumix_dmc_fz20
    just an opinion... good luck.
    sir grease man! this is also a good cam, but i'm really not considering other brands - wala, trip ko lang talaga either nikon/canon. tnx anyways!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Personally I'd pick the D70 over the Rebel. I used both and the rebel's quality and sensor is "pilit" to be a DSLR.

But I'm basing this on the 300D not 350 btw.

Haven't had a chance to check out the 350 that long

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've tried the d50 and it really is crippled from what I'm used to. In any case, either one [d70(s) or 350D] you're still a winner. Since your in riyadh most of the time I take it, maybe you could ask around regarding the support issues with either one in your area.

I personally am using a Canon. On my 2nd DSLR in fact. Might be upgrading soon to though. Support in my area as well as in the Phil, is much better with Canon. Not to mention the lenses are cheaper, even if I get Canon L lenses at that compared to similar counterparts with Nikon lenses.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if youre buying kit strictly, go for the D70s. although you'll do well to consider third-party alternative lenses like the excellent Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 DC EX (the f/2.8 will help with indoor shooting of moving kids).

you really can't go wrong with either choice,... yun nga lang, keep in mind that whichever brand you'll be choosing, more or less diyan ka na forever since you'll be investing into the lens system already.

finally, an add-on flash is a MUST. spend the extra money on a Canon 420EX or Nikon SB-600 at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
canon 350d or nikon d50?