New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    might i suggest joining phphoto (yahoo groups) or pinoyphotography.org (forum) for help with regards to photography, learning new tips and tricks, etc.

also, as mbt mentioned, your pretty much stuck with whatever you choose. Not unless Canon does another boo boo like the former mount they were using (forgot what it's called).

also, it doesn't really matter what body you would use because you can easily upgrade. lenses on the other hand you tend to keep.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed
    Personally I'd pick the D70 over the Rebel. I used both and the rebel's quality and sensor is "pilit" to be a DSLR.

But I'm basing this on the 300D not 350 btw.

Haven't had a chance to check out the 350 that long

sir theveed, it's considered that the d70 to d70s is much in line with the 300d to 350d model upgrade. i would guess you'll make the same choice had you tested the new ones.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbt
    finally, an add-on flash is a MUST. spend the extra money on a Canon 420EX or Nikon SB-600 at least.
    Just to add...the Canon 430EX is out already so you might want to consider that instead of the "older" model, 420EX. I was looking at the 580EX which cost around Php 25K!!!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by need4speed
    I've tried the d50 and it really is crippled from what I'm used to. In any case, either one [d70(s) or 350D] you're still a winner. Since your in riyadh most of the time I take it, maybe you could ask around regarding the support issues with either one in your area.

I personally am using a Canon. On my 2nd DSLR in fact. Might be upgrading soon to though. Support in my area as well as in the Phil, is much better with Canon. Not to mention the lenses are cheaper, even if I get Canon L lenses at that compared to similar counterparts with Nikon lenses.
    thanks for reminding... already checked after sales support as well.

good for me both brands have good service centers here. though it's different nga daw in pi as earlier mentioned, where canon has better suport there.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    talo yung sensor ng D70 sa sensor ng 350D, particularly on image noise. additional 2 MP (which isn't worth much really), but more importantly, very low noise! D70 gets grainy at ISO 800, i tried one out at a columbia store with my old 60 mm micro nikkor hehe. i figured that if i'm buying a DSLR for high ISO performance, might as well get the best one there is. that said, the D70's noise is still lower and less objectionable than the small-sensor digicams.

it's been said that the 350D's sensor is practically identical in performance to the sensor of the 20D.

Wild Ace,

350D is a HUGE improvement from the original 300D. on the other hand, d70s is a TINY step up from the D70... mainly a little tweaking with the AF system and a 0.2" larger screen. in other words, practically nothing (but that's not really bad at all, since the D70 is very feature-packed in the first place).

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    if youre buying kit strictly, go for the D70s. although you'll do well to consider third-party alternative lenses like the excellent Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 DC EX (the f/2.8 will help with indoor shooting of moving kids).
    there's an alternative d70s kit here w/ that sigma 18-50, it's actually cheaper at about us$1090 (than w/ the nikkor 18-70 af-s dx).

is it a better choice/deal?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i'd say yes, easily.

constant f/2.8 vs. f/3.5-4.5 is a HUGE difference and means a brighter viefinder and extended low-light shots (although it still may not be fast enough for dim indoor candids). you'll be giving up 20 mm (effectively 30 mm) on the zoom end, but for me, it's well worth it. the sigma is also said to be very sharp, practically in line with the pro-grade Canon L lenses. you'll give up USM/AF-S too, but it shouldn't be too big a deal.

i'd also consider the 24-120 VR nikon lens as an 18-70 replacement (although you give up the wide-angle... so pair it with a Tokina 12-24 mm hehe)

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    waaaah! yung flash pa ngapala!

(guess this can wait for a while.)

pero ika nga, mabuti na yung may foresight... sa darating pang gastos! hehe.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    lufet sir mbt, nakakalunod ang input mo ah! hinde yung info... yung nakaambang gastos! :oops:

(sabi na nga ba ng nanay ko cross-stitch na lang gawin kong hobby eh.)

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    constant f/2.8 vs. f/3.5-4.5 is a HUGE difference and means a brighter viefinder and extended low-light shots (although it still may not be fast enough for dim indoor candids). you'll be giving up 20 mm (effectively 30 mm) on the zoom end, but for me, it's well worth it. the sigma is also said to be very sharp, practically in line with the pro-grade Canon L lenses. you'll give up USM/AF-S too, but it shouldn't be too big a deal.
    ...good point, really.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
canon 350d or nikon d50?