New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    >>>

Bush: Iraq War right despite wrong WMD claims

WASHINGTON - President Bush acknowledged on Thursday that prewar US claims that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction were wrong but insisted he had been right to invade Iraq.

Faced with a new report that undermined their main rationale for going to war in 2003, Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney treated the finding that Baghdad did not possess illicit arms as old news.

Bush, delivering a surprise statement on the White House lawn before hitting the campaign trail, said the report by weapons inspector Charles Duelfer confirmed earlier conclusions that the weapons were absent.

But he said the report offered "new information" showing former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein was manipulating for his own gain the sanctions imposed on him.

"He was doing so with the intent of restarting his weapons program, once the world looked away," Bush said. "He retained the knowledge, the materials, the means, and the intent to produce weapons of mass destruction."

"In a world after Sept. 11, he was a threat we had to confront," the president added.

In the final weeks of a neck-and-neck presidential race, the Duelfer report ratcheted up the pressure on Bush over Iraq. More than 1,000 Americans and up to 15,000 Iraqi civilians have died in the war and violence in Iraq has worsened, including a rocket attack on a major Baghdad hotel on Thursday.

David Kay, Duelfer's predecessor as US inspector, disagreed with Bush's assertion that Saddam had posed a danger.

"He had a lot of intent," Kay said in a television interview. "He didn't have capabilities. Intent without capabilities is not an imminent threat."

Bush's Democratic challenger Sen. John Kerry, speaking in Englewood, Colorado, said, "The president of the United States and the vice president may well be the last two people on the planet who won't face the truth about Iraq."

Bush and Kerry will meet in a televised debate on Friday in St. Louis, Missouri. Their first debate last Thursday was dominated by the war in Iraq and polls showed it allowed Kerry to cut back on a Bush's previous lead.

Kerry has accused Bush of making a "colossal error" in his handling of the war.

Cheney, speaking at a campaign rally in Miami, played down the Duelfer report, saying the absence of illicit weapons was something "we already knew."

He echoed Bush's claim that a threat existed and it was right to invade. "Delay, defer, wait wasn't an option. The president did exactly the right thing in taking down Saddam Hussein," Cheney said.

Bush said America and the world were safer because of the invasion, while Democrats say the country is more vulnerable because it swelled the ranks of violent Islamic militants. <<<

This is exactly the same attitude of contempt that Colin showed in Africa in The Amazing Race 5. Since when did unprovoked aggression (he admitted himself that Saddam indeed did not have WMDs!) become justified in the contemporary community of nations? It surprises me that a majority of Americans haven't yet hung up their heads in shame at Bush...

Here's to Kerry's victory in the US elections in November.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    marv, kailangan niyang sabihin yan kung hindi one termer din siya tulad ng tatay niya.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That's what you call justifying an error.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    i heard kerry made BIG points after the debate between him and BUSH.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yeah, but Bush is leading Kerry in surveys.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    kahit pa pitpitin b*^&g nyan ni Bush... paninindigan nya na prinsipyo at mga sinabi nya..... Mas ikakasira nya kasi kung mag-aapologize pa sya sa buong mundo na mali ang ginawa nyang invasion sa Iraq. hehe.....

:usa:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    at least saddam was ousted and a major pain-in-the-ass and potential troublemaker was eliminated.

next... north korea? hehe.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I doubt gagalawin nyo N.Korea, walang natural resource na importante dun eh...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kimpoy,

exactly...! he should see for himself already that with the errors he made during his first term, he doesn't DESERVE to even run for a second term anymore.

mazdamazda,

i'd like to see Bush ousted and a major pain-in-the-ass and proven (not potential) troublemaker eliminated hehehe. yeah, i know we've always disagreed on this point pareng john, just voicing out my opinion again hehehe ;)

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I doubt gagalawin nyo N.Korea, walang natural resource na importante dun eh...
    tumpak! so who still doubts Bush's motives in Iraq? hehe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Can George W. Bush get any more arrogant?