New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Macky has a point. magagaling ang Pilipino when it comes to "real" IT work. kaya lang nga bagsak economy natin kaya its hard to get into IT now unlike a couple of years ago.

the surge of call centers dito sa Pinas is a combination of Filipinos being adept with the english language and the fact na magaling nga tayo sa IT. problem lang with call centers (imho lang) is that hanggang call center ka nga lang. to simplify it (but not to downplay it or anything) ...taga sagot ka lang ng phone at mga queries.

instead of being part of the core workload, nagiging support crews lang tayo. not that there's anything wrong with it, its just that we are capable of doing more and should be doing more than support roles.

hehe, masyado na yata itong pagmumuni-muni :mrgreen:

2. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    :roll:

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i work in a call center.. pero nde pang career... kasi i'm just working there while waiting for my parents to migrate to the states.. dun na kasi ako magtatapos ng college.

so instead of being a bum, yan ang ginagawa ko. masaya kasi may pang gimik ako tpos walang take home na tasks to finish and madaming mga funny incidents while you're on a call.. hehehehe

4. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    dazed sang call center ka ngwowork?? 8)

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    ePLDT call center seats
    (BusinessWorld, Paolo Joseph Lising)

ePLDT to install some 4,000 call center seats by the end of the year.

The information and communications technology arm of Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) plans to install some 4,000 call center seats by the end of the year.

As of the first quarter, e-PLDT installed 2,870 seats with 2,900 call center agents. President and Chief Executive Napoleon L. Nazareno said by the third quarter, e-PLDT will finish installing 687 seats to serve a US-based client.

In an interview, e-PLDT President Ray C. Espinosa said the 687 seats will be located in Libertad street (now Antonio A. Arnaiz avenue), in Pasay City.

To complete the target of 4,000 seats, he told BusinessWorld that another call center would be built by the forth quarter.

"It will have 300 seats and it will be located in Garnet road [in Ortigas]," he said. For this facility, Mr. Espinosa said the firm is eyeing three partners.

"We are eyeing three prospects, two are BPO (business process outsourcing firms) and one call center," Mr. Espinosa said. He did not say who the firms are.

He said to put up a 500-seat call center, the firm would spend $5 million-$7 million. In the first quarter, e-PLDT reported P652 million in revenues mainly from its call center businesses. This compared against P435 million in the same period last year.

PLDT Chairman Manuel V. Pangilinan said the information and communications technology unit is PLDT’s fastest growing business and e-PLDT is expected to gain a larger share of PLDT’s revenue by the end of the year.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    i don't work in a call center pero i have several friends from sykes, peoplesupport, and etelecare.

i think the key to succeed in a call center is initiative. from what i hear from friends in cc's, may other options for growth basta mag-apply ka lang if may openings. for people with tech backgrounds, pwedeng maging qa, tech supp, or sa hr backgrounds may several analysts positions (rta? wfa? am not sure what these mean, sowee!).

i don't believe na walang future sa work sa call centers, with a number of them already put up, it's already an industry of its own.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    let me put my long time issue on call centers here, and i think this is related to logbook's post above...

what would happen IF, these CCs suddenly or gradually pulled out of the Philippines, to let's say China, where the costs of labor is almost 100% lower than of the Philippines? Although the Chinese really sucks in terms of English speaking, but they have the initiative in going there, even improving their english-speaking skills. then, what would happen to the CC guys working in these centers? i think, PMAP (Personnel Managers Association of the Philippines) had already discussed this issue among themselves, because PMAP believes that China will be another big CC market globally within the next 5-7 years. By then, the labor market will again be flooded with orphaned CC employees whose expertise is basically talking... (no pun and insults intended ok?) exceptions would be the technical support of these companies as well as other competencies (like finance and accounting, HR, etc...)

for one, i would not hire an ex-CC employee with no background in the industry i belong to, and pay him/her 20-22k/month for that. and if i pay them for example, the starting salary for an entry-level guy, assuming that i will be taking the initiative in training them, will they oblige?

just a thought... not to flame anyone here.
    Last edited by 1D4LV; May 6th, 2005 at 03:02 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [SIZE=2] not if your in the management side of the CC industry... [/SIZE]

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CaRGirL
    [SIZE=2] not if your in the management side of the CC industry... [/SIZE]

yes, and as i have said this to my post above. there are other marketable guys out there working in CCs, but generally, the concern is on the staff level, where i think, 80% of the CC guys are.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    and siguro, things will be different for those CCs who cater to the local market.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Call Centers