New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    I read this article earlier. Just thought I'd share. Medyo luma na pala yung Facebook entry niya.

http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/...cebook-sizzler

The Tracy Isabel Borres Facebook sizzler

By Sandie B. Gadia
    Philippine Daily Inquirer

Last updated 20:38:00 05/08/2009

MANILA, Philippines – Backtrack to December last year when an e-mail forward on the subject “Tracy Isabel Borres: KILL HER!” circulated among Ateneo Yahoo! Groups. What came with a long thread of angry e-mail were screen shots of Tracy Isabel Borres’ blog entries posted on her contacts-only Facebook account. Borres is now an AB Psychology graduate.

Tracy rants

In the blog entry (titled “I am NEVER doing that EVER AGAIN!”), Tracy talks about her immersion trip to an Aeta community, a requirement in a theology class at Ateneo.

“There were so many children,” she wrote of her first day in the community. “These people have no concept of family planning whatsoever! Even worse so many dirty kadiri [yucky] children! All the kids there were either coughing, wet with their sipon [mucus], with sore eyes... I did not want any of them touching me.”

“[I] did not eat at all during the immersion,” she continued. “I just couldn’t eat their food even if they didn’t give me anything gross, mostly veggies. But everything made me barfy and even the rice tasted funny!”

Tracy also recounted the time she got back to the comfort of her own house. “I don’t think I’ve ever loved the shower that much,” she said. “I shampooed and scrubbed my hair and body until they hurt... apricot scrubbed myself... totally over-perfumed. Hygiene, I love you.”

The entry instantly became talk of the blogosphere with bloggers having a thing or two to say about Tracy’s online outburst.

Bloggers vs Tracy

Blogger James Diaz took it against Tracy for posting an entry he found “racist” and “offensive.”

“She may be a clown for her friends but still she became an illiterate self-centered sob. Criticizing something unpleasant to someone is bad, and some may think that I am no different than her because I was also criticizing her through bad remarks,” he says. “But there are two things you shouldn’t criticize: Poor people and people with diseases and disabilities. She’s neither of the two so she deserves it.”

Incoming Ateneo sophomore, nicknamed Monch, agrees with James. On his Multiply site titled, “Is this what you would call man-for others?” he wrote:

“[The blog entry] does not uphold the University’s mission of forming men and women for others; instead upholding the reality of Ateneo being enslaved by capitalism,” he writes. “Adding insult to injury, analyze how she discriminates the less fortunate people of the Philippines. Treating them like the lowest life forms on Earth is no excuse. [...] These people should not be underestimated. They know a lot about survival, they are willing to get out of their comfort zones and they make do with what simple things they have. I admire them for these skills, which we Ateneans have yet to learn.”

Though he feels this way, Monch adds, “I wish that people wouldn’t form lynch mobs to hunt [Tracy] down. There are two sides to a story, and both sides must be heard for a proper judgment to be carried out.”

Ateneo alumnus MDJ (a pseudonym), a regular blogger, agrees that getting Tracy’s side is vital.

“I will give [Tracy] the benefit of the doubt, and simply ask: how will she live her life from here on in? We don’t expect all people who join an immersion to suddenly become saints and social activists,” he says. “But if she learns to be more appreciative of her material comforts and grateful to those who are kind and who provide for her, that becomes a plus in my book.”

“I certainly wish she could have been more reflective on her experience,” he continues. “But still. Feelings are feelings, and I will respect her right to vent her very visceral reaction to that one weekend.”

Fresh graduate Dominique Tiu echoes MDJ’s sentiment in her blog. “I hardly think I can judge this Tracy Borres girl, honestly. [...] If you ask for my opinion, I think I do sympathize with her to an extent.”

“Personally, I don’t think she’s really that dumb or superficial. How could she have progressed to senior year, ’di ba [right]? Not unless she cheated her way or something, which will most likely not be the case (because I believe that somewhere, deep inside her, a vestige of good still remains). But what I do know is that I do feel pity for her knowing that she has traitorous friends or friends willing to talk behind her back when the going gets tough. I mean, who the hell would be so industrious to attempt to copy-paste her blog and send it all over the place? [...] Honestly, if I were Tracy, I’d reconsider my social circle.”

In an effort to address the blog entries that revolved around her Facebook mishap, Tracy released a statement she hoped would better explain her actions.

“I know how rude and offensive it [blog entry] sounded but that was because I was expecting it to be read by my friends only who understood a kind of dark quirky humor of mine that really would make other people mad,” she explains. “It was a post meant to be comical for my friends to laugh at, then of course, it leaked. I am just waiting for this to blow over (as typical ‘Internet sensations’ usually do), because seriously. People, focus on real issues not on some spoiled sheltered girl.”

Don’t generalize

Despite the inevitable backlash against Tracy, these bloggers believe that generalizations about the university catering to rich brats aren’t fair.

“This whole fiasco hasn’t changed the way I see Ateneans,” MDJ says. “What I think people need to be more aware now (of) is that there is no such thing as a private persona anymore, when you make a choice to be part of the online world. You become more visible and by default more accountable for what you do.”

James agrees. “Blogging about it is similar to shouting it to the whole world, may that blog be public or private,” he says. “One must always remember that blogging is not just blogging, what comes with it is responsibility—which will represent who you are, what you are, and what you write about. As the old adage says: ‘You are what you write.’”

Going beyond the reality that nothing is ever private online, Monch hopes that Tracy has learned from this experience. He says, “I also hope that my fellow Ateneans will see this as both a reminder and a warning, that we must live out the positive values that Ateneo is known for.”

Only Dominique and James gave the author consent to use their real names. MDJ and Monch were quoted using their chosen nicknames.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Yeah.....kill her!

(joke!)
    Last edited by chua_riwap; May 9th, 2009 at 04:48 PM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Diba hindi siya kumain?

Pano niya nalaman na funny ang taste ng kanin nila dun?

“[i] did not eat at all during the immersion,” she continued. “I just couldn’t eat their food even if they didn’t give me anything gross, mostly veggies. But everything made me barfy and even the rice tasted funny!”

Bad attitude :(