New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The problem is driver discipline.

Accidents on the Autobahn don't involve as many cars as you think... because, for the most part, everyone is aware of lane speed limits and sticks to them.

Not to say that there aren't hooligans who race the highway, but as slower moving vehicles on the high speed sections more often than not keep on the right side of the road, when those speed freaks have a problem, they're usually all alone.

I don't know about having an Autobahn here in the Philippines. I know I'd personally like one, but imagine how many cars will suffer from long-distance high-revving driving. Japanese cars are not really made for top-end speed. I won't be surprised, either, if we see lots of vans and AUVs trying to break the 100mph barrier and end up overheating on the wrong side of the highway...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    May speed limit ba locally? :bwahaha: j/k

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    sir PK meron na po.. haha ang north super hiway at ang skyway... kaya sa coastal nalang ako hihihi

natatakot ako kung may parang autobahn dito, tingnan mo nalang yung mga jeep kung magpatakbo kaya noh ng 100mph haha panu sila hihinto, walang maintenance halos ang mga yan

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I do hope that I get the chance to migrate to Germany just for the Autobahn there! :D

well, that is the reward for having well-disciplined drivers.

and yes, Filipino drivers aren't yet ready for the Autobahn. MOST of the accidents that do occur in our highways aren't due to vehicles running at high speed but to the moronic driving habits of Filipinos (like using the shoulder or lane changing without using the signal lights).

another bad habit of Filipino drivers is the misuse of the passing lane. there is common misonception that the "safest" lane is the left lane. but in reality it is not since by using the left lane you can only veer to the right in cases of accidents. unlike when you use the middle lane - you can veer either to the left of right.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    May nakatakbo na ba ng pinakamabilis na kotse dyan sa AutoBahn?...heheh..:D

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Imagine mo pinoy autobahn. 100kph yung jeep pagtapos tumigil sa gitna ng kalye kasi may bababa. hehehe....

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    High speed running is over-rated. Most japanese cars can become squirrelly in high-speed crosswinds, or over poor surfaces. The only way we can have a "Pinoybahn" is if they improve the road quality.

I agree with mazdamazda... the safest lane is in the middle... more choices when swerving out of harm's way! Now if we could only get it into those damn truck driver's heads!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    also kaya ganun kaganda ng quality ng German Autobahn ay dahil na rin sa kapal ng gianmit na semento rito if I heard it right 70 cms of cement.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i didn't see the episode, so....

is it true that Hitler conceived the autobahn as a means of quickly getting his panzers around to invade his neighbors on any side of the country??

also, re: slow left lane driving - i firmly believe that this is the most dangerous thing you can do in highway driving. everyone swerves to pass you and you cause serious mayhem. i'd prefer a country where everyone drove 120 mph and practiced lane discipline, over one where people drove the speed limit but all camped out in the left lane :mad:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    in a race in 1938, a German racer was able to achive 430kph on the Autobahn before crashing.

a brief autobahn history... and nope... they were not used to move panzers around... it is much slower than using the railways.

utobahns were first conceived, planned and built on a limited scale in Germany during the Weimar Republic era in the 1920s, but apart from the AVUS in Berlin, construction was slow, and most projected sections did not progress much beyond the planning stage due to economic problems and a lack of political support. One project was the private initiative HaFraBa which planned a "car only road" (the name Autobahn was created in 1929) crossing Germany from Hamburg in the North via central Frankfurt am Main to Basel in Switzerland.

Just days after the 1933 Nazi takeover, Hitler enthusiastically embraced an ambitious Autobahn construction project and appointed Fritz Todt the Inspector General of German Road Construction. Soon over 100,000 worked at the construction sites all over Germany in Organisation Todt. As well as providing employment and improved infrastructure, necessary for economic recovery efforts, the project was also a great success for propaganda purposes. Another aim of the Autobahn project was to strengthen centralized rule and national unity.

The Autobahns formed the first limited access high-speed road network in the world, with the first section from Frankfurt am Main to Darmstadt opening in 1935. This straight section was used for high speed record attempts by the Grand Prix racing teams of Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union until the fatal accident of the popular German race driver Bernd Rosemeyer in early 1938.

During World War II autobahns where even used as auxiliary airports, with aircraft either being stashed in numerous tunnels or camouflaged in nearby woods. However, for the most part they were not militarily significant, and most of military and economic freight continued to be carried by rail. After the War, numerous sections of the autobahn where in bad shape, being severely damaged by heavy allied bombings and military demolitions. Furthermore thousands of kilometers of autobahns remained unfinished, their construction brought to a halt by 1942 due to the increasing demands of the war effort.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Autobahn on Natl Geographic