New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    From our point-of-view it might seem "easier" to manufacture but you have to consider that the design limitations of the format. It has to be slim in thickness, you need to package a big touch-screen and enough battery power to last for hours of use. As we know, the bigger the screen, the more power is requires. The need to choose either expensive SSD or cheap but slow flash memory for on-board storage. Choosing expensive capacity or cheaper resistive touch screen technology. With or without LAN? And many more considerations even before the first chip on the motherboard is laid out. Space is a premium in a tablet.
    Well, it was already made possible by the iPad. Huge capacitive touchscreen, 10hrs battery life, ample storage, wifi with 3G.

The next iPad would even come with a SD slot. Which would make it possible for hackers to make adaptors for USB ports and other plugin gadgets.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    From our point-of-view it might seem "easier" to manufacture but you have to consider that the design limitations of the format. It has to be slim in thickness, you need to package a big touch-screen and enough battery power to last for hours of use. As we know, the bigger the screen, the more power is requires. The need to choose either expensive SSD or cheap but slow flash memory for on-board storage. Choosing expensive capacity or cheaper resistive touch screen technology. With or without LAN? And many more considerations even before the first chip on the motherboard is laid out. Space is a premium in a tablet.
    That didn't stop Apple and other manufacturers from re-inventing the tablet... Remember the size of 20mb HDD in the early 90s?
    Last edited by Monseratto; January 20th, 2011 at 10:29 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    As someone who's been using computers since 1983, I have to (grudgingly) admit that Apple has been almost always successful in turning a niche product into a desired item. From personal computers (Apple II, IIe, IIc, and II-GS), graphics workstations (Macintosh), laptops (MacBook), music players (iPod), mobile phones (iPhone), and now a slate/tablet (iPad)... Apple did not create commodities, they created iconic products that became standard fare and did not become passing fads.

This is what I feel the about the iPad -- it's not a perfect product (no camera). It's not an open product (no USB port? even mini USB? no SD card slot?). It has a stringent development platform (must go through Apple Developer Program, must publish/distribute via App Store). It's too big for its resolution (admittedly those with poor eyesight won't be complaining, but I've always wanted small dot pitch sizes *lol*). It's battery still sucks (a lot better than netbooks and laptops for its size, but it sucks power when I have Bluetooth, WiFi, and/or 3G on). And I hate typing on the virtual keyboard (I got pudgy fingers, hehe)... plus the virtual keyboard is not well designed (no arrow keys on the default?! ugh!). It's got memory issues (256 MB RAM? come on!) that is why it starts to do memory paging when a moderate amount of stuff starts to run and sucks in "multi-tasking."

But for all its faults, I like the form factor. It's light, and makes it easy for me to lug around all day for meetings, note taking, presentation, access to my web applications, do mock-ups, make charts, write short documents, and even connect via VPN to our corporate network and access my servers and laptops via Remote Desktop. It beats lugging a 7 pound ThinkPad in the mall, plus its "instant-on" capability saves me precious minutes when I need to take a quick look at server logs and change configuration settings. I paired it with a an Apple BT keyboard and can type all day.

So as a product/platform, I don't see tablets passing away like a fad. I think it will even get improved on, and the different manufacturers will come up with interesting innovations. This will drive entire industries to improve on power management, miniaturization, human-computer interface, even development platforms.

Imagine a basketball coach using a tablet instead of a small magnetic slate. At the push of a button, he can bring out plays, stats, and scouting reports.

Imagine a doctor using a tablet and wirelessly bringing out patient histories and cross-referencing with the latest medical journals and findings. All on a one-pound device.

Imagine a musician who, with a sudden spark of inspiration, brings out a virtual keyboard and starts tapping in a cool riff, and later, when he is in the studio, hooks up his tablet to his sequencer and produces his magnum opus.

Imagine a software developer who is working on a new code while on the bus, then when he reaches his desk, docks his tablet to access additional memory, CPU and disk space, apart from getting an extra screen.

Imagine having a computer, communications device, multimedia player, and library in a single device. It sure beats having to carry multiple products with accompanying cables and power adapters. Plus, it helps reduce paper consumption

These scenarios are all within grasp, and all within our lifetime. I am hopeful and I am excited at what the future will bring to this particular platform.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Toshiba's upcoming tablet...

http://www.zdnet.com.au/hands-on-wit...-339308313.htm

Hands on with Toshiba's 10-inch Honeycomb tablet

Here's the deal. Toshiba has a 10.1-inch Android Honeycomb tablet due out the first half of 2011 (price TBD, but in the iPad ballpark). The system uses an Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core processor, capable of 1080p video decoding, smooth Adobe Flash support and full resolution video output via the integrated HDMI port.

Like the iPad, the screen is glass-covered, capacitive, LED-backlit and supports multi-touch and accelerometer screen reorientation. Unlike Apple, Toshiba set the screen resolution to a 1280x800 resolution, fixed at a 16:10 aspect ratio. Users are also treated to a Haptic feedback touchscreen keyboard and dual cameras — one facing you with a 2MP resolution, the other facing out with a 5MP sensor.

Around the edges you get ports for HDMI, full-sized USB, mini-USB sync and SD card expansion. On-board storage is yet to be announced, but other specs, such as 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, stereo speakers, GPS and digital compass, all come standard.

Another key feature worth noting: a removable battery. Granted, with all that horsepower, you'll probably need more than one battery to match the iPad's 10 hours of runtime — but it's still a feature not offered by any competitors.

Another little trick up Toshiba's sleeve is Resolution video enhancement, which upscales standard-def video and gives it HD-like colour and contrast. Toshiba also throws in adaptive-display technology, which acts as an ambient light sensor on steroids — adjusting both lighting and contrast in response to your environment.

Some obvious strikes against the tablet right out of the gate include a slightly hefty weight of 773g, a seeming lack of a camera flash and a camera placement that is quickly covered by your hands when held in landscape orientation. Official Google App Market support is also unclear, but then, the role of Google's Market under Honeycomb is murky to begin with. Regardless, Toshiba will be providing its own app market, along with a BookPlace storefront for ebooks.

Overall, we were impressed by the hardware quality on the engineering sample we handled. It felt more polished than the Samsung Galaxy Tab and more rugged than the Apple iPad (though bulkier than both examples). The tablet OS wasn't available for the demo, but maybe that will change by the time it hits show floor at CES 2011.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ah fad or not just keep them coming...more competitors= lesser price!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Well, it was already made possible by the iPad. Huge capacitive touchscreen, 10hrs battery life, ample storage, wifi with 3G.

The next iPad would even come with a SD slot. Which would make it possible for hackers to make adaptors for USB ports and other plugin gadgets.
    Although the current interest revival of the tablet format was made possible by Apple's iPad but it is not cheap. It is more expensive than netbooks and still more expensive than some more powerful notebook PCs. It is like spending MORE money for LESS. Limited storage, difficult keyboarding (data input), limited expandability.

One place the tablets excel is portability and ease of use (when just browsing or reading/watching stuff). But anyone who has tried to watch a movie on his iPad will know, the iPad gets heavy after a few minutes of watching a movie. On a netbook/notebook PC, all you have to do place your PC on a table, start the movie and watch the screen. Ipad would require accessories (intentionally sold separately by Apple) like the portable iPad stand to make it easier/comfortable.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well, portability doesn't come cheap. Just compare the price of laptops versus desktops of the same spec.

There are many covers and cases for iPad that have stands. And you'll surely want to buy one to protect the iPad.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    My iPad has a leather-rubber cover with a built-in stand. My daughter watches movies on it for hours.

The one complaint I have, besides the battery life... is the speakers. They suck.

But otherwise, it's a great all-in-one entertainment product. If the prices come down on the 4G, I'd be interested in upgrading.

But my ACER Aspire still goes with me wherever I go... more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by sm2by View Post
    Not a fad but a breakthrough, from a company that made the iPod, iPhone and Macbooks...
    Apple took the tablet PC concept and made it into a device that is fun, sleek and so easy to use that even old computer phobic people could use it...

Apple already killed the Sony Walkman, Sony PSP, and Microsoft Zune...
    And they are also selling more smartphones than Nokia in the US....
    Nokia shot themselves in the foot by sticking with MS instead of jumping on the Android bandwagon. They haven't been at the top of the SmartPhone game for a looooong time.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Nokia is dead in the higher end phone market... They still use Symbian!

Pero they still dominate the lower end (but less profitable) of the food chain...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ipads are here to stay

not exactly coz they're tablets but coz of the apps

apps are the future

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Are the Apple Ipad and other tablets only a fad?