New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    Yes it may not be a direct cause, but it is a big factor on why we are a poor country. You cannot compare the 1960s to the 20th century, times are different. And tama si Kimpoy, overpopulated ang Metro Manila, lahat gusto pumunta dito.
    Why can't we compare it if we are talking about "overpopulation"? We are talking about birthrates if we talk about overpopulation.

How can you say that it is a big factor?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a lighter note

Clark Airport is now flying to/fro malasiya via tiger airways, soon majority of the airlines na.

SM Malls are expanding like crazy meron na already 2 malls in pampanga

NLEX.

some good news to SLOOOOWLY Decongest the greater manila...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually guys, I too used to believe that we are poor because we are overpopulated.
    I bought the propaganda, hook, line, and sinker.

You see a lot of poor people, squatter shanties, and then the overpopulation bomb scare.

But after doing some research, and looking at the facts objectively, I was convinced that it was not true.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Kimpoy,

I heard na $25 dollars lang daw ang fare to Singapore ng Tiger Airways. Ewan ko lang kung safe ang mga eroplano. Baka bumagsak. I think I'll wait and see muna. :D

Quote Originally Posted by civic1990
    How can you say that it is a big factor?
    Its a big factor because we have more mouths to feed, and do we have the resources to feed all these mouths? a Big NO. Heck we even import rice. What a shame. Yes corruption is the main culprit on why we are a "poor" country, when I say "poor" meaning the number of people below the poverty line. How can you feed a family of 7 with minimum wage or even worse when you don't have work? How can you send them to schools? How you provide them their basic needs? Thats what am refering to.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hi ILuvDetailing,

A study was done wherein 1 farmer could farm 2 hectares of land using just a carabao. His produce will be enough to feed not only his family for the whole year, but he could even sell the excess at a profit.

Yes, we import rice. But this is because we did not develop our farming methods, and only recently are we developing our farm-to-market roads. Our government did not develop our agricultural sector. Again, bad governance.

Regarding your question: How can you feed a family of 7 if you don't have work?
    Give them work! It is an economic problem that needs an economic solution. Governent should create job opportunities by encouraging investments, providing a level playing field for businessmen (no tax cheats, corruption), and develop infrastructures.

My point: If you reduced the family of 7 to a family of 3 but they still don't have a job, the problem still exists, correct?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    how many japanese are there in japan?

and how many filipinos are there here? and how much land area do both countries have?

Population should be managed, period, if we let things be, youll have a far greater problem. If indeed hindi tayo overpopulated in terms of land area, how about resources? I dont think you have enough land for agriculture to support the population if it grows at this rate, which its growth tips the scale on both ends, lumalakas demand sa lupa, at the same time nababasawan ang agricultural lands, kasi ginagawa residential.

Now if we think of it, sabihin natin wala resources dahil sa corruption, but di ba mas prudent na imanage na at this point na hindi pa crisis level tayo. May corruption or wala.

Antienza advocates against the use of condoms etc etc, its only good if he only views and says hes against it, but to make it the public policy of depriving people of basic tools for family planning? Nowhere in manila city can you find condoms sa public center, it may not be a policy written in black and white, pero ask around youll know that mayor is against distributing condoms. etc etc sa public health center.

Atienza as a public official should distribute those basic things, and let the people decide, its all about choice. As far as Im concerned Atienza can believe on whoever God he believes in, but to act as a moral authority on this things, heh, he cant even fix manila city.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    my point is

things are intrinsic, land area, water resources etc etc, we all want the ideal resources management, pero may technological limitations parin.

sana nga star trek technology tayo, na puro warp engine na lang gamitin sa planta natin.

All our plannings are based on uncertainties, at best siguro plans will only be good for 100 years at most , uncertain things like what technologies will be available for rescoure management etc etc.

I would rather plan on present variables, than be optimistic about what technology will be available in the future to address predictable problems like Overpopulation and resource scarcity.

Quote Originally Posted by civic1990
    Regarding your question: How can you feed a family of 7 if you don't have work?
    Give them work! It is an economic problem that needs an economic solution. Governent should create job opportunities by encouraging investments, providing a level playing field for businessmen (no tax cheats, corruption), and develop infrastructures.
    Yes I agree with you there but Problem here is jobs aren't readily available, too many people too little job openings.

There is also a problem with giving people good education which is the backbone of our society.

Also having more children gives you less quality time to spend with each and everyone of them providing them with good moral values.

Also Overpopulation creates another problem, waste disposal, we are running out of dumpsites to throw our garbage, I wonder what Metro Manila would look like 20 years from now.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Governent should create job opportunities by encouraging investments, providing a level playing field for businessmen (no tax cheats, corruption), and develop infrastructures.
    this is what exactly the govt. is doing. they encourage investments, they build roads, flyovers, bridges etc. but the thing is no matter what they achieved, they simply can't cope up with rising population. MRT and LRT 2, in its infant stage, are already overcrowded. C5, which is supposed to be a backup main thoroughfare, is now as congested as EDSA.

regarding investors, the Philippines is now fast becoming a hub of back office services (2nd only to India) such as call centers, medical transciptions, encoding & software development but still, the unemployment rate is increasing. the culprit, too many graduates. DECs alone confirms that each classroom is now averaging 60-70 students as compared to an average of 40-45 a decade ago or 25-30 in the 80's.

regarding corruption & businessmen, corruption grows with population and corruption only exists when there is investment. For instance, the media releases a statistic than in the 60's we ranked #80 as the most corrupt in the world, then in the 90's we ranked #50, and then in Erap's time we ranked #45, and today we are the 5th most corrupt (as Sen. Jinggoy claims). This only implies that too many investments are happening all around the Philippines, as compared to the previous years wherein only Manila is the center of investment, hence the center of corruption.

To put it simply, there are more filipinos now who can and who will commit corruption than 3 decades ago. In manila alone, statistics shows that there are 20-23 Million residents as compared to singapore na baka 20M or less nga lang ang population nila.

you see, it's just a matter of interpretation.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
5,800 Filipinos born in every 24 hours!!!