New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Hey guys.

So I recently got a w123 200 gas sedan (previous owner was a mbcp member), as I have always wanted one for a long time but never had the nerve, until now.

So everything ran great for about a month until 2 days ago (wednesday, aug 13), I noticed that the engine oil pressure was all acting weird. When I got home, I checked the oil level and found mayonnaise.

The car just had an oil change about 2 weeks ago. No symptoms then.

So yesterday (thursday) I made a trip to mokaluma auto shop in las pinas to get a mechanic diagnosis, and an oil change. The mech said that there was a hairline crack somewhere that allowed a small trickle of water to enter the engine case and into the oil. Nakita ko naman kasi when they drained the oil, may trickle of water going out.

Due daw to the water pressure it was seeping in through microscopic cracks or whatever, so recommendation is a top overhaul. Pero I could run it pa daw, condition is that the radiator cap is not tightened to the 2nd click, first click lang.

When I got home after a drive around, about 50km, everything seemed ok, but there was slight mayo buildup at the oil cap.

So dilemma. Top overhaul or change engine. I know the engine change may sound drastic, pero a top overhaul may or may not solve the problem. You never know. It can also lead to more problems in the future.

Pero an engine change isn't as easy as typing it. Is there a chance for a new-ish merc m102 engine out there? Or puro surplus or reconditioned. Should I change to diesel or stay with a gas engine.

Anyone with tips or advice. What to do? :please::thanx:

Also, I know I am dealing with a 30+ year old car. **** happens. So I am kinda prepared for it. I just want to know what other options I have.

:thanx:

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhandros View Post
    Hey guys.

So I recently got a w123 200 gas sedan (previous owner was a mbcp member), as I have always wanted one for a long time but never had the nerve, until now.

So everything ran great for about a month until 2 days ago (wednesday, aug 13), I noticed that the engine oil pressure was all acting weird. When I got home, I checked the oil level and found mayonnaise.

The car just had an oil change about 2 weeks ago. No symptoms then.

So yesterday (thursday) I made a trip to mokaluma auto shop in las pinas to get a mechanic diagnosis, and an oil change. The mech said that there was a hairline crack somewhere that allowed a small trickle of water to enter the engine case and into the oil. Nakita ko naman kasi when they drained the oil, may trickle of water going out.

Due daw to the water pressure it was seeping in through microscopic cracks or whatever, so recommendation is a top overhaul. Pero I could run it pa daw, condition is that the radiator cap is not tightened to the 2nd click, first click lang.

When I got home after a drive around, about 50km, everything seemed ok, but there was slight mayo buildup at the oil cap.

So dilemma. Top overhaul or change engine. I know the engine change may sound drastic, pero a top overhaul may or may not solve the problem. You never know. It can also lead to more problems in the future.

Pero an engine change isn't as easy as typing it. Is there a chance for a new-ish merc m102 engine out there? Or puro surplus or reconditioned. Should I change to diesel or stay with a gas engine.

Anyone with tips or advice. What to do? :please::thanx:

Also, I know I am dealing with a 30+ year old car. **** happens. So I am kinda prepared for it. I just want to know what other options I have.

:thanx:
    Advise ko is to change it Diesel engine, but don't get a 200D or 240D those are severely underpowered. Nung bumigay yung M102 ko I never bothered to fix it, I just bought a 300D parts car and transferred everything needed from the parts car. Better yet kung makatsamba ng 300D Turbo, that's the best you can go for a diesel.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ronw123w124 View Post
    Advise ko is to change it Diesel engine, but don't get a 200D or 240D those are severely underpowered. Nung bumigay yung M102 ko I never bothered to fix it, I just bought a 300D parts car and transferred everything needed from the parts car. Better yet kung makatsamba ng 300D Turbo, that's the best you can go for a diesel.

Sir, if ever, san po pwede mag source ng engines, reconditioned or surplus?
    Order basis ba or are there units here in manila that can be easily purchased?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    M102's are very robust engines. For all you know, your engine may only need a new cylinder head gasket. I think you're not overheating naman. At this point, its best not to use your car, until the problem has been resolved.

My take: Have the mechanic open your engine for a look-see. Bring your cylinder head to a machine shop and have it crack tested.

Once your engine is open, then you can decide on which route to take, (top) overhaul, or replace (convert). And update this post also.
    Last edited by lowslowbenz; August 15th, 2014 at 08:48 PM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhandros View Post
    Sir, if ever, san po pwede mag source ng engines, reconditioned or surplus?
    Order basis ba or are there units here in manila that can be easily purchased?
    What I did was I bought a running W123 300D which served as my donor car, took out the engine, transmission and other bits and pieces necessary for the engine transplant ( take the front coil springs too since the 300D engine is a lot heavier than the M102). For good measure I had the 300D engine overhauled prior to installing it to my car.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Ok guys, update.

Mech at mokaluma recommended that the radiator cap not be tightened all the way. Halfway tight should do. First click.

So after a days worth of going around (las pinas and paranaque) traffic and all, no mayo under the oil cap.

Water level of the radiator stayed the same. Also temp hovered at the 80° range.

Oil level stayed the same.

Hopefully the relatively minor fix helped.

Its still a cause for concern though. Its like a mcgyver fix, it works but is temporary permanent.

What I do what to do in the future is go for a complete change of engine gasket seals. Because there are oil leaks at the sides of the engine between the block and cylinder head. Not too much to be alarming, but needs to be addressed.

I'll get it checked by a mechanic friend. He does work on trucks for a living. I have doubts on him working on mercs, but these models are robust and mechanically simple compared to modern day cars. Similar to his trucks 😀

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Long overdue update.

Got a top overhaul done (Started 1/7/2015 ended 1/24/2015) by Paul from Paul's benz shop in bf homes. Great guy, good service.

Apparently a lot of problems under the hood. The overheat and mayo were an indicator.

Replaced cam shaft caps, valve stem, valve guides. Some of the valve stems were bent and the rocker arms and cam shaft had a lot of scratches, which was alarming.

She is running great now. A lot more quiet than before. And even after a month not being used, still one click start.
    Gotta love German engineering.

edit: FB pic album

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ronw123w124 View Post
    What I did was I bought a running W123 300D which served as my donor car, took out the engine, transmission and other bits and pieces necessary for the engine transplant ( take the front coil springs too since the 300D engine is a lot heavier than the M102). For good measure I had the 300D engine overhauled prior to installing it to my car.
    Hi! May I ask, how's your "transplanted" W123 300D running now? Assuming it was originally a W123 gas engine, I mean how's the body holding up? nag develop ba ng "kalampag"? Just curious because I read somewhere a long time ago that a W123 gas body was built differently from a diesel one, because of their diesel "vibrations" they built the body to withstand the long term shaking. When I was in the US, friends of mine who own W123s never transplant from a W123 gas to diesel.....only from diesel to diesel. I just want to know if that "theory" is true...... thanks!