New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    guys, I am planning to buy a 2nd hand mercedes benz around april-may time.

Now, this will be the first car that I will personally own, and I am quite excited. I am choosing between a w124 260e or a w126 model (preferrably diesel, since I've been told that gas engine 126s tend to have a good appetite for fuel).

What would you guys recommend me with? My usual drive route is from cubao to diliman-QC about 4 times a week, with an occassional trip to alabang maybe 2 times a month.

what are the probable advantages/disadvantages of both cars? in terms of parts, maintenance issues, etc

and also, how does the gas engine w126s compare with the 260e w124 in gas consumption/ kilometers per liter?
    thanks guys...

pao

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Personally I love the 126 it is so timeless.
    May SD and the SDL.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by paoloalcantara View Post
    guys, I am planning to buy a 2nd hand mercedes benz around april-may time.

Now, this will be the first car that I will personally own, and I am quite excited. I am choosing between a w124 260e or a w126 model (preferrably diesel, since I've been told that gas engine 126s tend to have a good appetite for fuel).

What would you guys recommend me with? My usual drive route is from cubao to diliman-QC about 4 times a week, with an occassional trip to alabang maybe 2 times a month.

what are the probable advantages/disadvantages of both cars? in terms of parts, maintenance issues, etc

and also, how does the gas engine w126s compare with the 260e w124 in gas consumption/ kilometers per liter?
    thanks guys...

pao

Having both a w124(260E) and a w126(260SE), I really like the w126 better although the w124 is also a good car to have. If its gonna be a daily driver, the w124 might be better suited for the job(its quite a challenge to park the w126 in Greenhills during Christmas time). But if its a long distance cruiser or a Sunday car then the w126 is the way to go. Having 3 different Benz models presently (w123,w124,w126) I'd have to say that the riding comfort of the w126 is worlds apart from the w123 and w124.

One thing to look out for on M103 engines (260) is the fuel distributor, make sure that it is in good shape, replacement costs about 100k for a brand new fuel distributor. If you decide to go for a diesel w126, a 300SD would be a better choice than a 300SDL because the OM617 of the 300SD is a proven performer while the OM603 of the 300SDL has a tendency of warping the cylinder heads when overheated, although the OM603 is also a good engine as long as it is well taken care of.

In terms of fuel consumption, I can only speak for both my w124 and w126 which have the same engine. The difference in fuel consumption of both cars is negligible, but the w124 is more responsive because of its lighter body.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ronw123w124 View Post
    Having both a w124(260E) and a w126(260SE), I really like the w126 better although the w124 is also a good car to have. If its gonna be a daily driver, the w124 might be better suited for the job(its quite a challenge to park the w126 in Greenhills during Christmas time). But if its a long distance cruiser or a Sunday car then the w126 is the way to go. Having 3 different Benz models presently (w123,w124,w126) I'd have to say that the riding comfort of the w126 is worlds apart from the w123 and w124.

One thing to look out for on M103 engines (260) is the fuel distributor, make sure that it is in good shape, replacement costs about 100k for a brand new fuel distributor. If you decide to go for a diesel w126, a 300SD would be a better choice than a 300SDL because the OM617 of the 300SD is a proven performer while the OM603 of the 300SDL has a tendency of warping the cylinder heads when overheated, although the OM603 is also a good engine as long as it is well taken care of.

In terms of fuel consumption, I can only speak for both my w124 and w126 which have the same engine. The difference in fuel consumption of both cars is negligible, but the w124 is more responsive because of its lighter body.
    Nice one, Ron. If I was able to beat you to the post, I would have given you a holler for I thought too you would be the best person to answer this query.

I have had the privilege of owning a W126 300SD but have yet to experience owning a W124. Taking off from Ron's post, if you're particular with riding comfort and space, W126 hands down. Besides, if an SD/SDL would be unavailable, a W126 260se would be a good compromise for a gasser in terms of fuel efficiency.

Good luck and keep us posted!

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Mga masters,

How does one test or check to see if the fuel distributor is in good shape? Also, iba po ba ang diskarte ng pagmamaneho ng W124? Like say, do I have to give corners an extra wide berth when turning? Wouldn't want to discover it the hard, grinding way of course :D

Tsaka ano po ba ang pinakapopular/common na W124 sa Pilipinas?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tanatej View Post
    Mga masters,

How does one test or check to see if the fuel distributor is in good shape? Also, iba po ba ang diskarte ng pagmamaneho ng W124? Like say, do I have to give corners an extra wide berth when turning? Wouldn't want to discover it the hard, grinding way of course :D

Tsaka ano po ba ang pinakapopular/common na W124 sa Pilipinas?
    The best way to heck the fuel distributor is to have a mechanic knowledgeable in MB's to check on the fuel system, but a fellow member from MB club Ph told me that one of the things to look at is kung may marka ng pagpukpok ng martilyo yung FD then that's a bad sign. Driving a w124 is just like driving one of those midsize cars in the market (Camry, Cefiro & etc.)

By far, the most common w124 models here in the Philippines are the 230E and 260E.
    Last edited by ronw123w124; January 8th, 2010 at 04:31 PM.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Ah sorry, MB newfag... what I meant was the W126 seeing as it is an ocean liner of a car. Mahirap ba imaneho ito? Lalo na pag trapik?

I currently drive a bigbody Corolla. SE/L cars just scream "MAFIA", especially black SELs. So maybe when I get one I'll get myself a driver's uniform and drive my mom around just for laughs :D

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tanatej View Post
    Ah sorry, MB newfag... what I meant was the W126 seeing as it is an ocean liner of a car. Mahirap ba imaneho ito? Lalo na pag trapik?

I currently drive a bigbody Corolla. SE/L cars just scream "MAFIA", especially black SELs. So maybe when I get one I'll get myself a driver's uniform and drive my mom around just for laughs :D

The w126 isn't that difficult to drive around town, sa traffic naman people tend to give way to a w126.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ronw123w124 View Post
    The w126 isn't that difficult to drive around town, sa traffic naman people tend to give way to a w126.

had a w126 280S with 2.8 m110 inline-6 engine.

i agree with ron, for a big car the 126 is not difficult to drive. PUV's really tend to give way.

as for gas consumption. medyo malakas talga kaya better hunt for a diesel unit.

as for parts. konti lang naging paayusin sa w126 ko kasi naayos na halos lahat nung previous owner. lalo na suspension napalitan nya lahat.

na miss ko tuloy 126 ko

ganito yung sa akin dati
    Last edited by impulzz; January 8th, 2010 at 08:34 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    thanks very much guys for your opinions! so yun palang m110 engine ang sinasabi nilang medyo malakas sa gas... just curious, is the M110 2.8 engine newer or older the 2.6 M103?

so I guess the diesel may be the best option around for the 126 as of now...

I don't think I will have some problems driving or parking a larger vehicle either...

and where can I find these w126s kaya?

pao

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
torn in between: choosing between a w124 and a w126?