New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    My 190e odometer and trip meter stop running, what seems to be the problem. But the speedo still working. Where can i have it repaired in manila. does any one experienced this problem? do i need to replace the whole cluster or just the gears inthe odometer? thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    not sure if the mechanism is mechanical or electrical.

If it's mechanical, maybe the cable is broken or loose. If it's electrical, well...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Your cluster gears may have gone out of sync. Quite a common problem in older MB's... (I have 2 cars with none running odometers)

Usual symptoms are:
    Broken gear teeth
    Melted gears (due to exposure)

No idea on where to have it repaired.. though I have a link on how to DIY a repair on it... If you're up to the DIY stuff.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Thank you lowslowbenz. yes please, kindly post the link on how to repair it thanks.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MB190e View Post
    My 190e odometer and trip meter stop running, what seems to be the problem. But the speedo still working. Where can i have it repaired in manila. does any one experienced this problem? do i need to replace the whole cluster or just the gears inthe odometer? thanks.
    A seasoned electricial on MBs would be able to repair that one for you. I had one of my former MBs done before.... my odo and tripmeter were not working and this guy replaced the gears and aligned it back. Which reminds me, I have to have my W123s gears fixed since when the tripmeter reach "9", it get stuck --- making the odometer stop too. And my clock isn't working either.

If you're into DIY, lowslowbenz's link (when he post it) would be a nice step-by-step guide.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    just in case the gears are defectice, where can i source it in manila? Any idea how much? Thank you.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Here it is: http://dieselgiant.com/repairyourodometer.htm

I can't confirm if you can source the gears locally... But whole instrument clusters (surplus) can be bought here.. Just make sure its a match with your car.. (i.e euro or usv, model year.. etc.)

Good luck..

8. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    thank you lowslowbenz.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    I had the same problem on my S124 and I was fortunate to have read a post in the MB Club where another member had the same problem. My mechanic had recommended the replacement of the instrument cluster (he's a purist) but since it will cost me money, I opted to explore the repair option. The post suggested that I take my car to Sunsol in E Rodriguez (near EDSA Cubao, across the INC church) Mang Jayme (215 1826) has mechanics that can repair this - they will tell you if doable. Mine has been working since.

D

Odometer and Tripmeter stop running