New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I've always been a fan of Top Gear, and as this is an automotive forum, I would assume quite a number of you guys are as well. I've always had an ongoing debate in my head - Who was the best driver among the three, Clarkson, Hammond or May?

I believe it's Richard Hammond. After all, he's the only one with a racing license, and in most segments where someone has to be sent to race something, he's always the one presenting. However, one instance dissuades me from making an absolute conclusion. In an episode in Series 6, Clarkson says that he won't be available for filming for the next season because his doctor told him he had done too much oversteering. Hammond then says, "Well I can start it, but it's where I'm gonna end up..." I don't know if it was serious or what. Either way, if I had to choose, it'd still be Hammond. Why? Because Clarkson was said to be almost totally talentless by Sabine Schmitz, and James May looks like the type of guy who doesn't drive fast.

What about you guys, what do you think?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    ... James May looks like the type of guy who doesn't drive fast.
    James May has driven the fastest road car in the world.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbWXO0iHmcE"]YouTube - James May in Bugatti Veyron SS breaking speed record[/ame]

Jame's top speed was 259.11 mph (417.00 kph).
    Last edited by ghosthunter; October 3rd, 2010 at 09:56 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Richard Hammond crashed in a rocket dragster at 288mph (463.5kph).

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I think its also Richard Hammond. As for James May in the Veyron well it doesn't take a lot of talent to top speed a Veyron on a flat oval track. Just a lot of guts!

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    James May has driven the fastest road car in the world.

YouTube - James May in Bugatti Veyron SS breaking speed record

Jame's top speed was 259.11 mph (417.00 kph).
    May also piloted the original Veyron at 407 kph. But as tidus said, all you really need is to put your foot down and hold on.

As for Hammond's crash, what was interesting was how safety officials said that he was able to handle the situation as best as possible and that no way humanly possible would he have been able to prevent the crash anyway. And that crash took a lot from him. I've read he's had numerous neurological problems afterwards, such as depression and had to take meds for it.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Mas mabilis ang Fifth Gear presenters like Tiff Needell, Vicky Butler Henderson, Jason Plato and I forgot the other guy's name... Pero their show is boring...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Top Gear presenters won't stand a chance against Fifth Gear presenters. Tiff Needell and VBH are both professional racers. That said, no way are they going to be as fun as Jeremy, Richard and James. :P

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    One thing's for sure. They didn't have a need for the Stig when Tiff Needell was still around...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyXIII View Post
    One thing's for sure. They didn't have a need for the Stig when Tiff Needell was still around...
    Yup. Tiff was the fastest Top Gear presenter there ever was.

-

Fifth Gear is fun at times... but it doesn't have the fantastic chemistry that Hammond, Mays and Clarkson have.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Indeed. Tiff Needell has a history in Formula 3 (spent most of the 70s there), F1 (had 2 races, though only got to start 1), Rallycross (finished 4th), and Touring Car Series. He's been exposed to a lot of racing events, though he hasn't made it big in any.

The Stig, or Ben Collins as is now revealed, on the other hand, has been primarily a touring car driver. This makes him perfect as the Stig because he drives road-going cars there and touring cars are the closer as compared to Formula 3 or rally cars. He's also had quite a success in his field.

Methinks The Stig's faster than Needell himself. All this is moot now as Collins has been fired and it's unknown who the next Stig's gonna be, or if there's even gonna be a Stig for series 16.

Then again, my original question was, among the current format Top Gear presenters, Clarkson, Hammond or May, who's the best driver?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Fastest Top Gear Presenter