I'm planning to build a HDD recorder PC. Basically this will act like a video cassette recorder, in where TV shows are recorded based on a timer. Its something like a Home Theater PC but simpler in requirement since all I want is it would record my TV shows and be able to playback the shows later.

Currently I am doing experiments on my PC installed with a TV/FM tuner card and results are pretty good except for the file sizes I am ending up with. About 700 meg for 30 minutes at MPEG1 compression. Given I have 20gigs of free HDD space, I can record about 14 hours before it gets filled up. I can get better compression with MPEG2 or even WMA format but it would require a dedicated system and a faster CPU too.

I want the system to cost less than P15,000 (much less, if possible). That would include everything needed to make a basic HD-Recorder with an 80gig HDD hopefully. Maybe a Geforce FX5200 or even just a GF4 MX440 (with video out) if it could provide good TV playback. I assume sound would be from built-in motherboard to reduce costs.

Maybe you guys can give suggestions, specs and stuff I can use?

BTW, I want the unit NOT to look like a PC as much as possible so casing suggestings are also welcome. I was thinking of using a classic 286AT case (with the lid that flips up like a car hood) and painting it black, but thats just a though.

Eventually I plan to install a wireless LAN card into it so I can connect with it from my other PC (in the next room). But the cost of the wireless LAN will not be included into the primary build of the HD-Recorder PC.