New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My pal is seriously considering purchasing an ex-JDM Mazda Bongo Friendee. He claims he can acquire a basic unit for around Php 230K give or take a little. The unit is to be used as his dog hauler and runabout in Bulacan. He has a Civic for a daily driver.

I don't know much about this vehicle. Any info, opinions, reactions, would be most appreciated. We might check out some units soon.

Thanks!

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I see some of those on the road but i dunno what its based on (if it shares components with the E2000) or what engine it runs. Usually yung nakikita kong units may hawig sa Mazda 626 yung front facia. First thing on my mind is if spare parts would be readily available for such a model if compared with the more popular JDM Delicas, etc.

Kung pang haul ng doggies and runabout, how about checking out also a Nissan AdMax? Malaki din ata yung likod nito, uses Sentra B13 components, and it runs on a 2.0 diesel engine AFAIK (and can sell for less than 200K).

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kukulangin kasi ng space yung AdMax. Dapat talaga van. Ayaw naman ng forward control (flat nose) for safety reasons.

I'm guessing that the Bongo used the 2.5TDi MPV engine. Same din ba ito sa engine ng Ranger? Salamat!

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    hmm....di ba may Ford version din yan?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    It's an 8-seater MPV/camper van, also known as the Ford Freda, SGL or Montague. Mazda first made them around 1995. They are said to usually come with a 4-speed automatic transmission, though there are accounts of a 5-speed manual tranny as well. 2500cc turbodiesel engines is said to be standard, with the occasional V6 gas engine thrown in. Post '99 models are reportedly equipped with different engines (probably the 2200cc diesel and 2000cc gas powerplants). They come in either 2WD (SGL3) or 4WD (SGL5) versions.

One cool feature the Bongo has is an "Auto Free Top" elevating roof that is said to provide interior bedspace for an additional 2 people, aside from the fold-down seats that convert to a double-bed. There's also the flat top version (or Bongolows, as the Brits call them). The Bongo Friendee is said to be very popular in the UK.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; January 5th, 2006 at 10:21 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yun kayang 2.5 diesel ay shared with the MPV and the Ford Ranger? Esep-esep.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    ayun! Ford Freda

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hehehe nagulat ako...unang basa ko sa post ni carlo eh "ford fiera".....

me mga mazda friendee din dito sa HK...not a bongo friendee though...

maluwag nga tapos pedeng gawing bed yung 2nd and 3rd row seat...

pero luma na yang model na yan.....late 90's pa yata yan....

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    hmmm...looks nice. though the ford freda yung nakikita ko usually sa makati area. :D

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ganyan ba mismo? yung nakikita ko kasi parang one generation older. . .kung ganyan, nice lookin'!

yung nakita ko dito kasi likod parang mazda power van. .

sowry, dunno the specs. problem lang na nakikita ko diyan is spare exterior parts pag nabangga
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Soliciting Opinions:  Mazda Bongo Friendee