New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Hi guys. Medyo bago pa ako sa cars and I was thinking of buying a Mazda RX-8. Ok lng ba itong car na ito? And good buy ba sya? Also, san po kya ako makakita ng brand new / second hand na RX-8? Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    If you get used one make sure to check the rotary engine very well, some owners have had to replace engines. I'm not saying they are all bad but make sure you have a warranty which is why I wouldn't suggest buying a used RX8.

Here's some websites with some of the problems am just not sure if these apply for the Philippines.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com...ins_index.html

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f8a4b/0

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.ph...2&page=1&pp=15

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i think the local mazda dealerships carry it. i've seen a couple new ones (ZF plates) and one of them's at the place where i live.

but it's over 2M. and you need to replace the oil every 1000 miles or 1600 kilometers (which comes out to every 5 full tanks!). it requires fully synthetic oil. If you do 500km/month (which is pretty low) that means oil change every 3 months * 4000+ per oil change. but if you bought a 2M car you won't care.
    Last edited by orly_andico; March 20th, 2007 at 03:40 PM.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Oh cool, so local Mazda dealers have trained people to service rotary engined cars?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The local Mazda dealers don't officially sell it. When it comes to maintenance, you're on your own, completely.

You don't have to completely change the oil that often, but you have to keep checking it and adding oil at those intervals, because the rotary engine drinks oil for lubrication purposes (many other high revving engines do this, too).

A more practical choice for a coupe would be one of the following:

Mitsubishi Eclipse GT - 3.8 liter V6, 260 or so horsepower. Interior's on the small side, but ye gods does this thing have torque! It's wide and sinister looking, and so stylish you could probably forgive the fact that it's front wheel drive. It steers better than many big front-drivers. Priced around 2.5 million.

Nissan 350Z - 3.5 liter V6, 280 hp. Two seater only. Good rear wheel drive car, more sporty suspension than the Eclipse or RX8. Too bad official imports are only AT and are so expensive, but that means local Nissan dealerships have the equipment to fix them. 3.4 million for official cars, 2.5+++ for gray market imports. Don't expect Nissan to honor warranty on gray market cars, but they'll service your car for a price.

Hyundai Coupe - 2 liter 140 hp four cylinder or 2.7 liter 170 hp V6. Better legroom than the Eclipse, even if there isn't any headroom for rear passengers. It's not very fast, even in V6 guise, but it still handles somewhat well, and it looks good, both inside and out. Big plus: It's cheap. 1.2 - 1.4 million only.

-----

The RX8 isn't a bad car... but if you're new to cars and aren't used to the maintenance needs of a rotary-engined beast, I suggest you get something else.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I rather have a gray-market MazdaSpeed 3.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    pwede rin pong subaru impreza wrx sti or mitsu lancer evolution ix (both locally available so no prob po sa service in the future)

mejo mahirap daw po ang maintenance ng rx-8 from what i've heard sa ibang tsikot experts. nasa sa inyo naman po.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    don't you dare get a rotary engine in the philippines

9. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Thank you for all your inputs. heheheh based sa mga reply nyo mukhang mahirap nga pag naka rx-8 dito sa philippines hehehe.

Alam nyo po ba kung san meron mga gray market dito sa Phils.? And may mga website po ba sila na makikita yung cars nila?

Ano po kaya masu-suggest nyo na car na around 1.3 million and below? Naisip ko din po kasi yung mazda 3 kaso parang gusto ko hintayin kung meron updated version ng mazda 3.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    R33 car exchange along Xavierville, halu halo mga tinda, pero predominantly pre-owned if I'm not mistaken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mazda RX-8