New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Hello Tsikot people! Interested to know your opinions about "Steel wheels" and "Alloy wheels", which is better?

Sent from my SM-P355 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Steelies are for base models and spare tires.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Technically speaking, both are alloys. Basic steel alloys are a combination of mostly iron and carbon. Chromium is added to make the steel rust resistant.

Whenever we say alloy wheels, we usually refer to cast aluminum wheels. These are lighter but more expensive.

Some very high-end wheels are made from magnesium. So the expression "mag wheels" or "mags" originally described magnesium wheels. However, it became a marketing​ term.

Ordinary shops will often refer to "rims" to describe cheap looking wheels​ and "mags" to a good looking one.

Generally speaking, a more costly wheels means its tensile strength is better and of course lighter. Most experts will recommend that you stay away from cheap, unknown brands.

Take note that some dealers or insurance companies will not honor any accident related claims if you replace your wheels, should it fail and cause an accident.

References​:

Design of Machine Elements
    by Virgil Moring Faires

High-Performance Car Mods
    by Matt Cramer

4. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    Technically speaking, both are alloys. Basic steel alloys are a combination of mostly iron and carbon. Chromium is added to make the steel rust resistant.

Whenever we say alloy wheels, we usually refer to cast aluminum wheels. These are lighter but more expensive.

Some very high-end wheels are made from magnesium. So the expression "mag wheels" or "mags" originally described magnesium wheels. However, it became a marketing​ term.

Ordinary shops will often refer to "rims" to describe cheap looking wheels​ and "mags" to a good looking one.

Generally speaking, a more costly wheels means its tensile strength is better and of course lighter. Most experts will recommend that you stay away from cheap, unknown brands.

Take note that some dealers or insurance companies will not honor any accident related claims if you replace your wheels, should it fail and cause an accident.

References​:

Design of Machine Elements
    by Virgil Moring Faires

High-Performance Car Mods
    by Matt Cramer
    I really appreciate it that you referred expert opinions. Choosing the right wheel is very confusing. There is always the looks vs the cost. There are so many wheel shops & most of these look really nice & the price is so tempting. Unfortunately, most of them are low quality fakes made in China. Some are so well finished to pass off as original. I have friends who used to drag race & rally, & they said that spin offs are dangerous, since there have been instances of them fracturing. They said that if you want the durable ones & just to be sure those are not fakes, buy surplus wheels (OEM) or ROTA’s.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jc007 View Post
    Hello Tsikot people! Interested to know your opinions about "Steel wheels" and "Alloy wheels", which is better?

for ordinary everyday use, either is fine.
    for ordinary everyday use, alloys add only bling.
    i have yet to see fake steel rims.
    alloys ...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    The real non-aesthetic benefit of alloy wheels+tires will only come when they are lighter than what you currently have. Lower unsprung rotational mass will help you get more from your car's power, pull & FC. Braking will be better, shorter....& your suspension will thank you for it.
    So when choosing wheels & tires, think too of unsprung rotational weight....not just looks.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Do mag wheels offer better ventilation for the brakes than steelies? I imagine airflow to the brake assembly would be better than steelies.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    after using aluminum wheels for a very long time i've decided to go w/ steelies w/ wheel covers w/ my most recent car. advantages:

- no worrying about scratching them on the curb. i bought 4pcs extra wheel covers (OEM). just replace when needed
    - no worrying about scratching them at the tire changer
    - can be safely be bent back to shape
    - cheap
    - depending on the car you could include the spare tire w/ your tire rotation
    - low risk of theft

9. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post
    I really appreciate it that you referred expert opinions. Choosing the right wheel is very confusing. There is always the looks vs the cost. There are so many wheel shops & most of these look really nice & the price is so tempting. Unfortunately, most of them are low quality fakes made in China. Some are so well finished to pass off as original. I have friends who used to drag race & rally, & they said that spin offs are dangerous, since there have been instances of them fracturing. They said that if you want the durable ones & just to be sure those are not fakes, buy surplus wheels (OEM) or ROTA’s.
    I agree, OEM surplus wheels are better than those good looking ones but unknown brands. I heard that ROTA is a good brand.

I actually warned my brother about his plan on our CR-V 98 that he should not simply trust any shops found alongside the road.

And yes, it is always better to refer anyone to the experts instead of giving your own opinion. If the person will insist on my opinion, I will decline but offer alternatives and let the person decide for his own. I'm not an expert, but an ordinary employee who finds time in reading, so I cannot give advice.

So I remembered that we should learn "the art of giving advice without giving advice".

10. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jc007 View Post

asking which is better it subjective, there is always sort of compromise and there is no right or wrong. they might not carry the same level of safety, durability and performance but some are willing to overlook that aspect for the cosmetic improvement. its a thing of form over function. if you cannot stand the appeal of a bare steel wheels then go for a more fancy colored alloy wheels. durability wise, no doubt steel rims are the king of the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast