New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tanong ko lang kung ok lang ba gumamit ng armor all instead of tire black?? Will it produce a deteriorating effect sa tires in the long run and masama ba kung nalagyan ang mags nito? ty.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CZintrclr
    Tanong ko lang kung ok lang ba gumamit ng armor all instead of tire black?? Will it produce a deteriorating effect sa tires in the long run and masama ba kung nalagyan ang mags nito? ty.
    Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, most (if not all) tire dressings applied to the tires themeselves will rob the layer being applied to of the oils that keep the tire black.

If you've dressed the tire a few times, and then forget to do it for a period of time, your tires will get "browner" much faster.

Either you don't dress the tire at all (just wash and scrub it, but it won't be as shiny), or (if you've applied tire dressing a few times) keep applying dressing at a regular rate.

Most of the tire dressings out on the market are quite sticky, and will tend to attract dirt. If you get some on your wheels, simply wipe it off! It's not so hard, so go ahead, don't be afraid to use tire dressing!

Happy cleaning!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    CZintrclr and e46boi...

Why are Tires Black?

Left alone, tires dry out, discolor and eventually crack and split. “Dry rot” is a multi- million dollar problem for RVers, trailer boaters and owners of classic cars that are parked for extended periods.

The major factor degrading tires and other synthetic and rubber products is ozone, an odorless gas which is part of the are we breath. When combined with ultraviolet light (the invisible part of sunlight) a reaction occurs that attacks the tire polymer.

To protect against ozone and UV damage, a stabilizer molecule called a “competitive absorber” is blended with the tire polymer. Competitive absorbers work by capturing and absorbing UV radiation and converting it to heat which is dissipated harmlessly. All tire manufacturers use the same competitive absorber, carbon black. This is why all tires are black...why tires are not available in designer colors.

These absorbers are sacrificial; they expend themselves in performing their function of changing UV to heat. As carbon black looses it’s ability to perform, it turns gray. This is one reason why black tires discolor as they age.

To protect from further ozone damage, tire manufacturers add a wax compound to their formulas. Tires flex when they are in motion, causing the wax molecules to migrate to the surface. This forms a protective barrier between the air (ozone and oxygen) and the tire polymer. In the tire trade this is called “blooming”.

When tires are parked for extended periods, blooming does not occur and ozone starts attacking the polymer. With UV light and ozone working in concert, the degradation is accelerated, resulting in drying, discoloration and cracking.

(Excerpt from properautocare)

====

There are some claims before that Armour All (and other lower end brands) vinyl/rubber dressings contain a certain blend of petroleum distillates that are very close to silicon and can indeed damage tires. If you're in the US, brand new tires have their warranty and specifies NOT to use dressings with harmful distillates.

Tire Black (those generic silicone gels) used in about 99% of all car washes locally are very harmful to rubber. They do not absorb into the rubber and they sling off to painted areas. Even tire well covers (those black plastic things under your fender) turn whitish grey when exposed to dried up silicon Tire Blacks..

Armour All claims that their new products are all rubber safe (I've emailed them personally)... Personally, I don't mind using it on tires but it's longevity is best suited for dashboards and such... On tires, they won't last a wash or two.

It's important that you clean your tires really well. Rubber absorbs a lot of dirt... If you don't wash them well before dressing it, it's the same as not cleaning the paint well before waxing the car... You'll just push the dirt in even more...

I suggest you clean your tires thoroughly once a month at least with a good tire cleaner or all purpose cleaner (non-petrol based)... Eagle One Tire Cleaner works wonders and is considered to be the best tire CLEANER around... (Don't confuse tire CLEANER with tire DRESSING)... You can use Simple Green, Purple Muscle, etc as well for such tasks. After you clean your tires, you'll see the brown stuff gets removed from the rubber pores and the tire will look flat black and clean (like what E46 said)... Then you can dress it...

Tire dressing has it's advantages, it prevents dirt from seeping into the tire itself and makes cleaning easier the next time around...

But be wary of what you buy... Silicon gels are extremely easy to produce and are very cheap, but they are close to useless and are harmful.

Read the labels... Common mistake of people using dressings on rubber/vinyl is that they don't buff it off... You don't just apply and forget, you're supposed to apply, let soak, then wipe off, then buff... Otherwise, your dressing will sling, attract lotsa dirt, and won't last as long. Read the labels, they're there for a reason...

If you accidentally smeared/sprayed some on your wheels, don't worry about it, just wipe it off... it's best to apply dressings using an applicator foam or cloth to avoid overspray.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Oh... EO Tire Cleaner

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the feedback. yung kasing car ko dati natutuklap ang mga mags. I was just wondering kung bka dahil sa armourall na naover spray sa mags or dahil sa pet dog namin na dun lagi nag ........

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    CZ, ako yun dehins yun aso niyo yon. Pagnagpapark kasi ako sa inyo minsan di ko na matiis kaya dun ako sa mags mo nag wiwi. hahaha.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my 2cents lang...........

I used to use tire black......... now i just use Tide and scrub my tires until dirt is gone and the natural black color comes out. Iba ang linis nito compared to the 'artificial' blackness of tireblack!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Same here. I just scrub them clean with a detergent and let it dry. Pwera na lang pag nagpapark ako sa in-laws ko. Nilalagyan ng boy nila ang tires ko ng tire dressing kung naglalagay sila sa bro in law ko.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ako i just wash my tires (mags and rubber) with soap and water.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I clean my tires with EO tire cleaner and brush, let dry then dress it with a 50/50 mixture of Mothers B2B and Meguiars Endurance tire protectant gel using foam applicator. Let dry then buff. The result is not the usual sticky wet look, just dry, clean and very black tire (like brand new).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Split topic: Tire Dressing and Cleaners