New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Hello experts! I've tried searching on the Web (and on this forum board as well) and also asked tire shop owners about this.

On the Web, it says that the new tires should be placed on the Back. See the following links and videos:
    1. Popular Mechanics
    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSz7cm6MwH0
    3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9hzcjdi5Q

As for tire shop owners, they say that the new ones should go on the Front for lesser tendencies of "exploding front tires". Is this just a myth then?

Also, what are good, cheap but reliable brands for tires on a Honda CRV 2003? What's your suggestion/opinion regarding Dunlop, Yokohama, and Bridgestone?

BTW, I'm using a Honda CRV 2003.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nightfox View Post
    Hello experts! I've tried searching on the Web (and on this forum board as well) and also asked tire shop owners about this.

On the Web, it says that the new tires should be placed on the Back. See the following links and videos:
    1. Popular Mechanics
    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSz7cm6MwH0
    3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa9hzcjdi5Q

As for tire shop owners, they say that the new ones should go on the Front for lesser tendencies of "exploding front tires". Is this just a myth then?

Also, what are good, cheap but reliable brands for tires on a Honda CRV 2003? What's your suggestion/opinion regarding Dunlop, Yokohama, and Bridgestone?

Thanks!
    years ago, it was thought (me included) that new tires should always be installed out front, so that the driver can control the direction of the skidding car.
    today, scientific evidence suggests that, when skidding, control over the car is better if the new, treaded tires, are installed at the rear.
    better yet, buy 4 tires!

and i am a sucker for locally manufactured tires.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 15th, 2015 at 01:25 AM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfox View Post

Thanks!
    I'm using Goodyear Wrangler HP AW, just last year I replaced the two front tires because those two got punctured sidewall from an accident. Before I was using Goodyear Fortera which is Manufactured here in the Phil. but they discountinued it.

[
    Last edited by RC-V; May 15th, 2015 at 03:34 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    IMHO, dun mo ilagay sa driving wheels...sa front kung FWD or rear kung RWD. Mas need ng traction dun as compared sa "steering" wheels kaya nga mas madali sya mapudpud.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I'd suggest prioritizing the front wheels regardless of drive configuration. They are always the first ones to wear out since they are the turning wheels, even with rear wheel drive vehicles. Replaced all the Revo's tires around 3.5 years ago with GTRadial Classiro's. Now, around 32tkms later, the fronts were worn down to the point of needing replacement, while the rears still had around 50% tread left in them at least. I've recently replaced them with Falken Sincera's. Excellent grip and significant improvement in handling as compared to the old GTRadials.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

years ago, it was thought (me included) that new tires should always be installed out front, so that the driver can control the direction of the skidding car.
    today, scientific evidence suggests that, when skidding, control over the car is better if the new, treaded tires, are installed at the rear.
    better yet, buy 4 tires!

and i am a sucker for locally manufactured tires.
    read this too. the reason being (according to the the article) is that newer tires on the rear will help prevent sudden unexpected fishtailing

btw, anu-ano ba ngayon ang locally manufactured tires bro?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pero depending din siguro sa condition ng tires. if the front are worn more than the rear (assuming the rear does not need replacing yet) then replace the front. otherwise replace all 4.

i just replaced last year the front tires on one of my rides. it was worn 80%, konti na lang angat sa wave pattern ng 5 peso coin. the rear tires are still good for another year when the 5 years life expires.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You always put the new tires on the rear. Always.

-

If the old tires that you're not replacing are so old that they might "explode", then you don't want them on the car *at all*.

If the old tires don't have enough tread to evacuate water (4/32"), then you don't want them on the rear. Hydroplaning front tires are absolutely no problem. The car continues in a straight line until you pass the puddle. At which point you gain back steering and continue on your way.

Hydroplaning rear tires are a right pain in the ass... and if your hands aren't quick, the car is sideways before you blink. (I've been lucky when that's happened to me... my hands are quicker than my brain).

-

The ONLY time you leave the old tires on the rear is if they still have more than half-tread left. If they're anywhere close to 4/32 (slightly taller than the writing on the margin of a 5-peso coin), put them in front.

-

If you don't like doing it that way... rotate your tires often, so you won't have to replace your front tires too soon.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    pero depending din siguro sa condition ng tires. if the front are worn more than the rear (assuming the rear does not need replacing yet) then replace the front. otherwise replace all 4.

i just replaced last year the front tires on one of my rides. it was worn 80%, konti na lang angat sa wave pattern ng 5 peso coin. the rear tires are still good for another year when the 5 years life expires.
    Would be wise to rotate tires every 5,000kms so wear will be even & tires will last longer.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    You always put the new tires on the rear. Always.

-

If the old tires that you're not replacing are so old that they might "explode", then you don't want them on the car *at all*.

If the old tires don't have enough tread to evacuate water (4/32"), then you don't want them on the rear. Hydroplaning front tires are absolutely no problem. The car continues in a straight line until you pass the puddle. At which point you gain back steering and continue on your way.

Hydroplaning rear tires are a right pain in the ass... and if your hands aren't quick, the car is sideways before you blink. (I've been lucky when that's happened to me... my hands are quicker than my brain).

-

The ONLY time you leave the old tires on the rear is if they still have more than half-tread left. If they're anywhere close to 4/32 (slightly taller than the writing on the margin of a 5-peso coin), put them in front.

-

If you don't like doing it that way... rotate your tires often, so you won't have to replace your front tires too soon.

This is what I would tell friends and family when they ask me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast