New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Dear Sirs;

The wheels on my wife's ride was twice unbalanced this year due to poor adhesive of the lead weights (tingga). Madali sila matanggal... A few mates suggested the following to prevent easy removal of the tingga:

1. Add packaging tape on top of tingga.
    2. Glue gun the edges of tingga.
    3. Mightybond the edges of tingga.

Which is the best? Any other less invasive/damaging techniques based on your experiences.

Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I'd suggest against permanently fixing the weights since these will need to be changed when the tire is replaced (because the tire is also not perfectly balanced). Remember that any small movement of the weights will also result in an unbalanced wheel.

Have the wheels balanced at a better shop and don't go back to the old shop.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    If hindi ka satisfied sa adhesive ng tingga,
    bili ka nalang ng sarili mo double side tape,
    3m brand para sure, patanggal mo yung double side
    ng tingga then pareplace mo nalang ng 3m mo,
    generic double side lang naman i think ang mga nasa
    tingga.

tsaka make sure nalang na malinis na malinis yung
    paglalapatan ng tingga, baka basta dikit lang ng dikit yung
    nagbabalance, marumi, less ang kapit.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    packaging tape... however, dapat hindi makapal otherwise, it will affect the weight na din, maski minimal.
    i am also against having it fixed permanently via mighty bond... nagiiba ang balance ng gulong eh and there would be a time na kailangan mo tanggalin lahat yan ulit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

packaging tape... however, dapat hindi makapal otherwise, it will affect the weight na din, maski minimal.
    i am also against having it fixed permanently via mighty bond... nagiiba ang balance ng gulong eh and there would be a time na kailangan mo tanggalin lahat yan ulit.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Minerva tire shop use glue gun sa edge ng tingga.
    so far, wala naman problema na natanggal yung tingga.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    TS,
    1. Add packaging tape on top of tingga - not a good idea. the tape adhesive is not strong enough to bond together with tinga once the rim got wet
    2. Glue gun the edges of tingga - same as above
    3. Mightybond the edges of tingga - it could be but make sure the tinga & rim surfaces are well cleaned & grease free

another options are 3M double sided tape use for car side molding. ito yung colors red & dark grey for the release liner & double sided tape respectively or pioneer durasteel bond in 5 mins use for radiator.

TS,
    1. Add packaging tape on top of tingga - not a good idea. the tape adhesive is not strong enough to bond together with tinga once the rim got wet
    2. Glue gun the edges of tingga - same as above
    3. Mightybond the edges of tingga - it could be but make sure the tinga & rim surfaces are well cleaned & grease free

another options are 3M double sided tape use for car side molding. ito yung colors red & dark grey for the release liner & double sided tape respectively or pioneer durasteel bond in 5 mins use for radiator.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    How about covering the weights with duct tape?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_man5210 View Post
    yes, it should also work, but then again, most reputable wheel balancing shops use glue gun na so there would be no need for it, but then again, you should really check naman your wheel balance every year eh.

Quote Originally Posted by ice_man5210 View Post
    yes, it should also work, but then again, most reputable wheel balancing shops use glue gun na so there would be no need for it, but then again, you should really check naman your wheel balance every year eh.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    may clip type na tingga naman yun ang ipalagay mo

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by automot0 View Post
    may clip type na tingga naman yun ang ipalagay mo
    It's not applicable on all rims.

===============

Mine is covered using a silver tape (to match my silver-colored rim) similar to the pic below. The weights are installed on the inner side of the rim so it's virtually invisible from the outside.

The tape has stood up to the test of time and it's been there at least 4 years already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast