New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2011
    I was originaly planning to sticking with my stock 16" on my Ford Ranger and just upgrade my rims, but when I went to T. Mapua this afternoon, I found many 20" wheel and tire set that was very affordable. I like the look of the 20" but am worried my FC will significantly drop. How much drop did you guys notice after upgrading your wheels?

Stock 245/70 R16 upgrade to 265/50 R20

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    i am currently on 17 rims. my FC is about 10-12 Km/L depending on traffic conditions. when i switched back to stock 15's, medyo nagimprove ng 12-14 Km/L. I also noticed a difference in acceleration, throttle response, etc. when in stock rims. pero like you, i like the look of the car with bigger rims so i went back to 17's. hehe. konti lang naman difference in FC.

i think in your case medyo magiging malaki effect sa FC since from 16, malaki ung upsize ng rims to 20. significantly mas lalaki circumference na kelangan paikutin ng engine mo, kaya mas hirap. equals more fuel to burn. but nothing beats a car with good looking rims though(preference ko lang naman).

hope this helps.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    what if tires lang papalitan and not the rims? will FC be affected?

for example, changing stock AT tires to the same size MT tires which are heavier but not that much (1lbs or less difference in weight)

also, how about if the larger rims are actually lighter in weight compared to the stock rims, will FC be significantly affected?

hope that some gurus here can chime in on this

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    I have no idea what you mean by FC.

Anyway, if you maintain the tire diameter, there should be no drop to speak of.

Given the measurements that you gave, the upgrade closely approximates the original tire diameter. As such, there will be no significant change in ride height. However, these larger rims will adversely affect ride quality.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    my experience from 265/60/18 stock, to 265/50/20, and now 285/35/22 i noticed a slight drop in my mpg, about under .8 kml. lighter wheels may help, but at a steep price. expect those bargain wheels to be heavy.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    what you need is a tire size calculator..

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Hahaha! You mean't fuel consumption. Sorry, dude. This is what happens when I don't sleep.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Basic rim/tire-FC principle: The heavier the rim/tire is, the more likely your FC would suffer.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    I found this site while I was also making a decision between 16's and 15's rims.

Answers.com - Does rim or tire size change mileage

To sum it up: "Therefore, if a car is used primarily for highway driving, overall MPG may improve with larger tires. For city driving, with lots of starts from dead stops, MPG may get worse with a larger tire. This has a lot to do with transmission design, where vehicle manufacturers gear the cars for a good blend of city/highway fuel economy, also based upon the power sweet spot of the engine (and tire size!). However, for cars used for a lot of highway driving, significantly better MPG may be achieved by gearing the transmission to use lower engine rpm's at highway speeds. (Especially with diesels). But regearing, if even possible, costs a lot of money. Increasing tire size is a cheap way of doing the same thing. A bigger tire will go farther distance during one revolution, meaning you need less engine rpm's to turn it."

Read more: Answers.com - Does rim or tire size change mileage
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    I found this site while I was also making a decision between 16's and 15's rims.

Answers.com - Does rim or tire size change mileage

To sum it up: "Therefore, if a car is used primarily for highway driving, overall MPG may improve with larger tires. For city driving, with lots of starts from dead stops, MPG may get worse with a larger tire. This has a lot to do with transmission design, where vehicle manufacturers gear the cars for a good blend of city/highway fuel economy, also based upon the power sweet spot of the engine (and tire size!). However, for cars used for a lot of highway driving, significantly better MPG may be achieved by gearing the transmission to use lower engine rpm's at highway speeds. (Especially with diesels). But regearing, if even possible, costs a lot of money. Increasing tire size is a cheap way of doing the same thing. A bigger tire will go farther distance during one revolution, meaning you need less engine rpm's to turn it."

Read more: Answers.com - Does rim or tire size change mileage
    Sir, nice one! double thumbs up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How was your FC after changing wheels?