New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2019
    I noticed that both the front rims are hot/warm after a drive on this new car I brought last month (was released 2 weeks ago).

Is this expected behavior?

The front brakes are ventilated discs type. Transmission is CVT.

The temperature, if I try to describe it, is not burning hot or "nakakapaso" hot - it's like newly-made-coffee hot. You can linger your palm/fingers there for a while. Lug nuts are also hot, but the middlemost part isn't.

The temperature is a lot hotter than the back rims.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    mention make and model.. honda accord?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Given the amount of friction needed to stop a car, normal na maginit yan. Mags should be warm or hotter but not nakakapaso.

Brand new ba ang "new car" mo?

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Brand new sya. Honda BR-V 2020.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    we have two hondas.. i dont experience that groaning.. bring it to your dealer..have that sound checked..

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gomezgomez View Post
    I noticed that both the front rims are hot/warm after a drive on this new car I brought last month (was released 2 weeks ago).

Is this expected behavior?

The front brakes are ventilated discs type. Transmission is CVT.

The temperature, if I try to describe it, is not burning hot or "nakakapaso" hot - it's like newly-made-coffee hot. You can linger your palm/fingers there for a while. Lug nuts are also hot, but the middlemost part of the rims aren't.

The temperature is a lot hotter than the back rims.
    it's normal.
    auto books describe the heat of disk brakes as "comfortably hot".
    but i agree, "comfortable" is a big range among humans.

it is because the disk brake pads are always lightly touching the brake rotor, generating heat whenever the wheel rotates, even as the brake pedal isn't being stepped on.
    rear drum brake pads don't touch the drum, except when the brake pedal is stepped on. drum brakes don't normally get as hot as the disks.

to be sure, jack up the front of the car, so's the tires do not touch the ground. then rotate the wheels using your bare hand. they should rotate easily, if the brakes aren't "dragging" significantly..
    Last edited by dr. d; September 12th, 2019 at 12:52 AM.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    it's normal.
    auto books describe the heat of disk brakes as "comfortably hot".
    but i agree, "comfortable" is a big range among humans.

it is because the disk brake pads are always lightly touching the brake rotor, generating heat whenever the wheel rotates, even as the brake pedal isn't being stepped on.
    rear drum brake pads don't touch the drum, except when the brake pedal is stepped on. drum brakes don't normally get as hot as the disks.

to be sure, jack up the front of the car, so's the tires do not touch the ground. then rotate the wheels using your bare hand. they should rotate easily, if the brakes aren't "dragging" significantly..
    I'll try this one. Salamat! Para kasing ang layo ng binyahe sa init nya haha.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Normal lang yan. Nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    May 2009
    You also posted about the groaning/ grinding sound whenever you use your brakes, right?

It could be your front brake calipers need adjusting if they're causing a lot of friction and heat.

If your car is still in it's break-in period of below 1000 kms. then I would observe it until the right time to take it to the dealer.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sparc179 View Post
    It could be your front brake calipers need adjusting if they're causing a lot of friction and heat.
    Brake calipers either front or rear are not adjustable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast