New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    It is not to say that this alert system absolves the driver from the responsibility of checking the back seats. Again, this is a safety net.... an added layer of protection if and when that situation ever occurs. If you call this stupidity on the part of the adults, that's fine. But why take it out on an innocent child if car companies are fully capable of adding this safety feature?

2. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    It is not to say that this alert system absolves the driver from the responsibility of checking the back seats. Again, this is a safety net.... an added layer of protection if and when that situation ever occurs. If you call this stupidity on the part of the adults, that's fine. But why take it out on an innocent child if car companies are fully capable of adding this safety feature?
    Well, one of the issues I see with simply saying just slap it on every car is that you will more than likely grow a population that is not only distracted by whatever stuff, but also dependent on the tech.

What happens when the tech suddenly fails/doesn't trigger at the exact moment/time when the conditions are ripe for the worst case scenario?

You'd most likely see the parents sue the car company for the feature failing to trigger and try to absolve themselves of the blame/fault.

That's my main worry.

We are already seeing it in the growing population and the new parents. Simply putting it as default in all cars sort of encourages and doesn't dissuade the behavior.

And the cycle will grow to spin out further from there, what more will the (irresponsible) adults of the future need added yet again since they can't be trusted with it anymore?

I mean, with self driving tech telling you not to do it in open roads/highways, people still do it and even sleep while leaving the car to self drive right? And people are blaming the developers of the tech when an accident happens, even if they specifically said don't do what the person just did with their tech.

Where does it end?

3. Join Date
    May 2018
    Sa kulit ng daughter ko, I don't think pwedeng mangyari sa akin yan.

Hindi lang radio commentator & Waze voiceover yun, reverse warning alarm pa.

===
    Nakaiwan nga lang kami ng meat from the grocery once sa trunk. Akala namin naiwan dun sa checkout, so we thought no more about it. After the weekend (used different car) eh ambaho & amoy panis na yung buong kotse nung Monday.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    Well, one of the issues I see with simply saying just slap it on every car is that you will more than likely grow a population that is not only distracted by whatever stuff, but also dependent on the tech.

What happens when the tech suddenly fails/doesn't trigger at the exact moment/time when the conditions are ripe for the worst case scenario?

You'd most likely see the parents sue the car company for the feature failing to trigger and try to absolve themselves of the blame/fault.

That's my main worry.

We are already seeing it in the growing population and the new parents. Simply putting it as default in all cars sort of encourages and doesn't dissuade the behavior.

And the cycle will grow to spin out further from there, what more to the irresponsible adults we will have need to be added yet again?

I mean, with self driving tech telling you not to do it in open roads/highways, people still do it and even sleep while leaving the car to self drive right? And people are blaming the developers of the tech when an accident happens, even if they specifically said don't do what the person just did with their tech.

Where does it end?
    Remember the Tesla with auto pilot mode? Tulog yung driver.. kahit na sabi ng tesla na required ang fully alert driver..

Same with reverse parking sensors.. nung unang labas nyan madami ako nakikita na lubog na bumper.. sakto pa sa mismong sensor.. although nag improve na yung capability nya to detect obstruction still dapat naka tingin ka pa din

5. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    It is a tragic event, but like the movie Home Alone, even back then (as a kid), I couldn't imagine how that would really happen in real life.

But it looks more like it is more likely to happen now to a family with all the distractions money can buy/not buy.
    Child left behind? Check! Bottom line -- it happens!

Parents accidentally leave child stranded in German airport

How easy is it to forget your children? - BBC News

"There have been numerous studies indicating that people are becoming increasingly forgetful as a result of modern hectic lifestyles. Researchers have labelled the condition "busy lifestyle syndrome", with stress being the possible culprit behind day-to-day memory lapses.

"Parents are increasingly busy," says Roberts. "In many cases both are working long hours - these are easy mistakes to make. Of course, it's horrific when it does happen, but it's a function of all the rushing around that people are doing.

"If it hasn't happened to you, you're either obsessive or lucky."

"In 2008, a child was left at an airport in Israel after her parents accidentally took a flight to Paris with four of their five children. "

6. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlee View Post
    Child left behind? Check! Bottom line -- it happens!

403 Forbidden

How easy is it to forget your children? - BBC News

"There have been numerous studies indicating that people are becoming increasingly forgetful as a result of modern hectic lifestyles. Researchers have labelled the condition "busy lifestyle syndrome", with stress being the possible culprit behind day-to-day memory lapses.

"Parents are increasingly busy," says Roberts. "In many cases both are working long hours - these are easy mistakes to make. Of course, it's horrific when it does happen, but it's a function of all the rushing around that people are doing.

"If it hasn't happened to you, you're either obsessive or lucky."

"In 2008, a child was left at an airport in Israel after her parents accidentally took a flight to Paris with four of their five children. "
    Please reread my post. I said, back when I was a kid when Home Alone came out (or maybe that wasn't clearly conveyed)

But like I said, nowadays, new parents are more distracted with whatever they preoccupy themselves with, plus whatever distractions they may be relying on so their kid can "stay still" (which eventually leads to them not noticing their parents as well).

It is a current reality that is worrying as those kids will grow up where their distractions have become their norm, so this will most definitely get worse.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    and in-case the warning failed, thus a child was left inside because they rely on the system too much. they will blame the car for failing to do the job that simply a human can do automatically

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The chances of the system failing is the same as your seatbelt unbuckled warning chime failing, which is very unlikely. The chances of it failing AND forgetting your child at the same time is practically nil.

But the chances of it saving the life of a child is doubled or tripled, depending on how much redundancy/persistence is programmed into it.
    Last edited by oj88; September 27th, 2019 at 08:54 PM.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Bata namatay matapos naiwan ng 18 oras sa kotse | ABS-CBN News

It just happens. Di lang distracted, kapaguran din.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    May 2009
    This is exactly why we need to consider this more as a back-up system. I hope none of us are naive enough to think that it won't ever happen to any of us or people we care about.

We, as drivers, parents and guardians are the primary safety systems. This, along with Seat Belts, ABS, EBS, Stability Control, Lane-Departure, etc. etc. are simply redundancies in case HUMAN ERROR comes into play, which, whether or not we'd like to admit it, is real. People forget, people make mistakes, people get tired, etc.

Sent from my vivo 1901 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast