New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    People tend to rely too much on automation that sometimes makes them forget the basics...

Same sa aviation that rely too much on automation na nawawalan na ng skill yung pilot..

Nice to have pero sana hindi mawala yung "basics" sa driving.. some people don't even check their vehicles before they drive...
    Automation means the machine does it for you. The system being implemented as described in the article is just to remind the driver that he may have forgotten that there are still people inside the vehicle. The system doesn't open the doors or windows to allow any passengers egress. That would be automation.

Think of this the same way we are reminded to wear seatbelts. It's that simple, no need to complicate it. Similarly, advance airplane systems always have redundancies in case one system fails or malfunctions, like the very prone human brain.

Sent from my vivo 1901 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    it won't work, for some parents.
    because they already know, they intentionally left their kid inside.

perhaps if the designers programmed the thing to open all windows...
    then perhaps the adult would bring the kid down with him.
    heh heh.

3. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

perhaps if the designers programmed the thing to open all windows...
    then perhaps the adult would bring the kid down with him.
    heh heh.
    But Doc, what if the passenger is able to climb out (like pets) and the system opens the windows, there's a good possibility the pet would jump/fly out and would be in danger as well from being run over/hit by other vehicles/obstructions.

I think that's why automation was not really an option. Just a beeping reminder and an alert to your phone if necessary as a last precaution.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    true.

a lot of parents over there leave their kids and pets for convenience sake. sandali lang naman daw grocery run nila kaya hindi madadali ng init iyong mga alaga nilang anak at kung ano pa man

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sparc179 View Post
    But Doc, what if the passenger is able to climb out (like pets) and the system opens the windows, there's a good possibility the pet would jump/fly out and would be in danger as well from being run over/hit by other vehicles/obstructions.

I think that's why automation was not really an option. Just a beeping reminder and an alert to your phone if necessary as a last precaution.

my suggestion was a joke, po.
    i am confident, the designers would not do such an ornery program.

but if they did, i am confident, no parent would leave the trigger (the kid!) inside the car, for fear of thievery.

it is now illegal to leave your kid un-attended inside the car.
    but does this stop us...?
    Last edited by dr. d; September 27th, 2019 at 11:01 AM.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Pangpamahal lang ng SRP sakin to. I may be redundant pero iniikuan ko yung kotse namin before driving at iniikutan ko ulit after magpark at binubuksan mga doors para icheck kung may naiwan bang kung ano man.

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yubby24 View Post
    Pangpamahal lang ng SRP sakin to. I may be redundant pero iniikuan ko yung kotse namin before driving at iniikutan ko ulit after magpark at binubuksan mga doors para icheck kung may naiwan bang kung ano man.
    I'm the same. Even if the key fob has a lock/unlock all doors button, after pressing lock, I always circle the car as a "reflex" action. Granted I don't remember whether I locked the car after I get to sit in my final destination after leaving the parking, but I still was able to check in autopilot mode. haha!

I don't bring pets unless I need to bring them to the vet.

And when I have kids in the car, I'm going out with kids so I would have the headcount that should not increase or decrease if I'm "moving".

The feature makes sense for 3 rows or more, but if they end up equipping this to 5 seater SUVs, crossover and sedans, I just don't know how to feel about that.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Most cars emits a chime to remind you that you left your park lights or headlights on after you've parked your vehicle. This is so designed so you won't have a dead battery later.

The chime, annoying as it is, nobody complains about. But people gets riled up over the concept of adding a safety feature to alert you that the rear seats aren't empty.

Think about it. Is the life of a car battery more important than the life of a child?

And by the way, there's already a precedent: Child left in car dies of suffocation | Philstar.com
    Last edited by oj88; September 27th, 2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Typo

9. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Most cars emits a chime to remind you that you left your park lights or headlights on after you've parked your vehicle. This is so designed so you won't have a dead battery later.

The chime, annoying as it is, nobody complains about. But people gets riled up over the concept of adding a safety feature to alert you that the rear seats aren't empty.

Think about it. Is the life of a car battery more important than the life of a child?

And by the way, there's already a precedence: Child left in car dies of suffocation | Philstar.com
    I think that's how far distracted "new parents" are nowadays which goes to show the focus on "self/me" than "us/family".

It is a tragic event, but like the movie Home Alone, even back then (as a kid), I couldn't imagine how that would really happen in real life.

But it looks more like it is more likely to happen now to a family with all the distractions money can buy/not buy.

But, in my opinion, I would want to have it for 3 rows or longer vehicles like vans etc. But for 2 row 5 seater vehicles, just shows how far the standard of responsibility has fallen.

Again, if it becomes a requirement like seatbelts, that's how low it has gotten.

I'm not saying don't have it, but place it where it serves the most effective purpose, 3 rows or longer/larger vehicles.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Better to have a car buyer take a psych exam designed to check if he/she will leave a child in the car alone. If he/she fails he/she will have to bring his/her MOTHER-IN-LAW all the time. Tignan lang natin kung may makaiwan pa ng anak sa kotse.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast