New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I don't know somehow I still don't buy the idea that diesel is more economical in the long run especially on low mileages. Coming from a finance background there is a law in finance that states that MONEY NOW (bulk money from the price savings from the car) is better than MONEY LATER (fuel economy gains spread into many years). At the current market prices DIESEL should be more expensive than GAS, but the government here might just do it slowly as to not hit the public utilities. Eventually the public jeeps will have to switch to gas themselves then fitted with LPG kits. Actually pinagaaralan na yan ng pamahalaan. Don't get me wrong I am not a gas engine fanboy I am explaining my belief that its no longer true that diesel will be better economically in the long run than gas engines. In the past it was true but I am the type of person (given my line of work) who always looks to the front rather than the back. But if you enjoy your diesels I won't longer bother you since thats the most important thing, that you enjoy your car. Just wanted to warn others that if their sole reason to buy a diesel is because they thought they will be able to save money (rather because they want the torque) then they might want to rethink again.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    I don't know somehow I still don't buy the idea that diesel is more economical in the long run especially on low mileages. Coming from a finance background there is a law in finance that states that MONEY NOW (bulk money from the price savings from the car) is better than MONEY LATER (fuel economy gains spread into many years). At the current market prices DIESEL should be more expensive than GAS, but the government here might just do it slowly as to not hit the public utilities. Eventually the public jeeps will have to switch to gas themselves then fitted with LPG kits. Actually pinagaaralan na yan ng pamahalaan. Don't get me wrong I am not a gas engine fanboy I am explaining my belief that its no longer true that diesel will be better economically in the long run than gas engines. In the past it was true but I am the type of person (given my line of work) who always looks to the front rather than the back. But if you enjoy your diesels I won't longer bother you since thats the most important thing, that you enjoy your car. Just wanted to warn others that if their sole reason to buy a diesel is because they thought they will be able to save money (rather because they want the torque) then they might want to rethink again.
    i bought the carens because of the torque if you want to save money dont buy car because it is not an investment. just my cent

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ^^Hehehe of course not buying a car is the best way to save money, but of course we all want to have cars and save as much money as possible. Don't you?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Sir tidus, tanong ko lang, if the price of diesel will be more expensive than gas, and if all owners of those diesel fed cars sell their cars and buy petrol fed cars (bcoz diesel will not that be practical anymore), will this bring diesel fuel price down and bring the petrol price up??? pano na lang ang isuzu, coz all of the cars they are selling are diesel fed???

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Well unlike gas which is normally used only for cars and motorbikes, diesel is also used in industrial machinery and heavy equipment so overall there is a huge total demand for diesel more than gasoline. If people do switch to gas that might help temper diesel prices down, I am not sure by how much... The biggest oil consumer which is the USA has almost all their cars run in gasoline (the yanks hate diesel) but yet mas mataas parin diesel kaysa gas in the world markets. One thing is for sure, our local demand is irrelevant to the world oil markets. Kulangot lang tayo in terms of our demand so any demand lost here will not even affect the price of diesel.

As for Isuzu like any other business if you can;t adapt to your environment and your customers then you will lose money. So if demand for diesel cars falls then Isuzu will lose money. Kinda like how gas guzzlers right now in the US are not selling well and GM (and the other yankies manufacturers like Ford and Chrysler) is losing money because of it. They depended a huge some of their sales in gas guzzlers when gas was still cheap but now they are being beaten by the more fuel efficient Japanese like Toyota and Honda in sales in their own home turf.
    Last edited by tidus1203; July 11th, 2008 at 06:20 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    OT na usapan ah.. carens odometer reading napunta sa gas vs diesel..

mukha naman ok ang odometer reading ng carens yung speedo lang siguro ang medyo offset bka safety ito para hindi ka mag over speed...

anyway technically kahit palit kayo ng 16 or 17 inch rims hindi naman ma apektuhan yung readings ng speedometer at odometer.. yung actual speed ang magbabago..

sa gas vs diesel... mas economical ang diesel especially kung loaded yung sasakyan.. pero kung mag isa ka lang eh lugi ka nga kasi hindi mo naman magagamit yung torque ng diesel engine mo... sa gas engine talo ka kung byahe ka na lagi puno ang sasakyan...

try nyo byahe yung carens crdi with 5 persons and 3 kabans of rice at the back and compare it with a sedan with 1.8 engine same load of 5 persons and 3 kabans of rice at trunk... for sure mas matipid yung diesel kasi nagamit mo yung torque nya while the gas engine will consume more fuel to move the vehicle..

gas vs diesel engine.. kung daily driver lang lugi ka sa diesel at panalo ka sa gas pero kung madalas kayo magtravel at madami kayo sa diesel ka na.. pero minsan kasi talagang matipid ang diesel at 10km/li sulit talaga lalo na kung marami kayo...unlike gas na 6-8km/li lang 1.8 engine

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vinrem View Post
    Sir tidus, tanong ko lang, if the price of diesel will be more expensive than gas, and if all owners of those diesel fed cars sell their cars and buy petrol fed cars (bcoz diesel will not that be practical anymore), will this bring diesel fuel price down and bring the petrol price up??? pano na lang ang isuzu, coz all of the cars they are selling are diesel fed???
    Sorry OT na ako kanina ....i might replace my rim from 15" to 16", kaso i havent found a rim that i really like...if talagang off ang odo or speedo ng carens, that means ang lagi kong speed sa city driving ko ay around 30-50 lang pala...jezz...kaya pala 7km/li lang ako lagi...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Mga Kabayan,

Sorry OT na talaga pero this is important for everybody to know.

Diesel engine is more economical. Gas engine always runs at stoich combustion, meaning air to fuel ratio is always 14.7:1. Kapag kinontian mo kasi ang gas, mahihirapan ang spark plug and it will not be a "complete" combustion. So meaning even if you run the gas engine in idle, your air-to-fuel ratio remains at 14.7:1. So kung mapansin nyo, gas engine is literally burning fuel money during idle (traffic). But in diesel engines, it can run at a much lower air-to-fuel ratio. It can be only 50% of that during idle and cruising. And yun nga with high torque, you can shift earlier to maximize it (for manual transmission) and save more fuel. Change of driving style for crdi diesel will save you about 30% - try it.

Also, for the fuel itself. Diesel has more energy content than the gasoline for each drop of them. And many alternatives that are ongoing development (bio fuels, plant oils, etc). Price is indeed dictated by supply and demand. And if supply comes in from different sources, price will adjust for itself.

I'm not close minded diesel fan, in fact, I also have a gasoline car. Pero diesel talaga ang mas practical and with huge potential. So better stay strategic. Yeah there might be some pricing level temporarily but I believed it will still be better in the long run.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Back to the topic:

Mine already logged 6,300+ kms since December 15, 2007. No problem so far (and still praying).

OT: Even if the price of diesel would be higher than the gas, I'd still prefer diesel, especially that our carens have the CRDI VGT engine.

Amoy niyog pa yung usok! :D

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    As of today, 31 July 2008, barely two months from when I got it, my Carens has already logged roughly 4,650kms! Malayo-layo kasi ang office ko from my home kaya ganun... I'm not complaining naman... heck, if I didn't go to this office, I wouldn't have the Carens in the first place! (car plan po)!

Anyhow, I'm already scheduled for my 5,000km maintenance check-up this weekend...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Carens Odometer Reading