New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    sirs,

my TFR has been through a lot the past month -- a lot in terms of rebuilding, and so far is doing good; replaced rings, valve guides, seals, etc.; now it's virtually smokeless

I just noticed that every morning, the oil and battery indicators take some time to go off, at times reaching approximately a minute before they do; this means that for that span of time, the engine idles a bit higher, until the lights go off.

Now, what i do is slightly step on the accel. pedal to make it go off quickly

This happens lang after parking over night, no hard starting whatsoever

is this normal? does it simply come with aging?

TIA
    Last edited by BeetOls; June 1st, 2009 at 10:18 AM.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Indicator lights are illuminate, with the key in the ignition. They in fact are a great asset to car owners to insure that there vehicles are working properly. However, your oil light takes longer to turn off which my cent's refers to a perceived lack of oil pressure in the engine. This could be due to a failed sending unit, a clogged port in the engine, low output from the oil pump, or simply a loose wire after rebuilding your engine. This light is trying to warn you that your car may be in danger of burning up its engine. Though with you having driven it that way without major damage it is most likely simply a sensor failure, you should have this checked out immediately. If it is indeed clogged oil ports or a weak pump you could be slowly killing your car.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I agree, start with the connections, loose sockets, bad grounding etc.. Belt tightness for the alternator. Oil level for the oil. Pagnawawala naman means its working the problem is pag hindi.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    thank you for the replies...

just to add, the problem had already showed itself long before rebuilding

after overhaul, it quickly turned off during cold starts until recently, and i don't see the problem unless the rig stays parked overnight or at work in the morning until the early evening

they do go off but the time it takes vary, from as quick as 5 secs to a delay of about 45 secs, but i step on the accel pedal, it goes off immediately -- i think this isolates the problem from being electrical in nature

sir 4jgtootsie, where should i be looking at next?

will that practice do the engine harm?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BeetOls View Post
    sirs,

my TFR has been through a lot the past month -- a lot in terms of rebuilding, and so far is doing good; replaced rings, valve guides, seals, etc.; now it's virtually smokeless

I just noticed that every morning, the oil and battery indicators take some time to go off, at times reaching approximately a minute before they do; this means that for that span of time, the engine idles a bit higher, until the lights go off.

Now, what i do is slightly step on the accel. pedal to make it go off quickly

This happens lang after parking over night, no hard starting whatsoever

is this normal? does it simply come with aging?

TIA
    nangyari na yan sakin before sa adventure (diesel) ko...oil pump ang naging prob nya. indi kagad gumagana oil pump nya kaya ganun na lang ang tunog ng engine nya sa una, but pag nag pump na ok na idling and nawawala na ilaw...after mareplace binenta ko na advie ko.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Check your voltage regulator if equipped. High rpm will manifest if alternator is not delivering electricity. Once it does bababa ang rpm because of the load of the alternator.
    Loose connection might still be the culprit.
    Check carbon, IC, pulley and belt of the alternator for excessive wear.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hello mga sir,have the same problem sa pick up ko,during cold start,it took mga about 5 sec. bago mamatay yung oil and battery indicator or minsan rev ko then mawawala na agad sya and it seems normal and after years na ganun...just noticed na patagal na sya ng patagal bago mamatay until one day di na sya namamatay. Pinacheck ko yung electrical at sabi nung technician hindi raw nagcha-charge yung altenator kaya immediately pinarepair ko na. Sira na pala yung mga diode ng alternator. After ng repair,back to normal...immediately off na agad yung mga indicator lights ng oil and battery even cold start. Hope this will help.

Oil battery indicator