New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2009
    hello po mga Gurus!!!Happy New Year!!!

Lately may napansin ako unusual sa Crosswind ko (05 XT)...when I steer to the left at normal speed or high speed (50 above) I would hear a humming sound parang nagengine brake ka na parang brooommmm ang sound niya, pero when I turn right at that speeds wala ako naririnig. For the changes before ko naencounter this problem was this. 1) Repack of grease sa wheel bearings, 2) Cleaning of Brakes, 3) Change of Clutch Disc. Nagsearch ako sa mga thread about humming sound at may nakita ako na natry ko na din that when I hit that 50 above KPH and turning left, I put the gear on neutral pero meron pa din sound na hum, would that eliminate tranny problem? Meron po ba na nakaexperience nito with their ride...thanks

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jaz014 View Post
    hello po mga Gurus!!!Happy New Year!!!

Lately may napansin ako unusual sa Crosswind ko (05 XT)...when I steer to the left at normal speed or high speed (50 above) I would hear a humming sound parang nagengine brake ka na parang brooommmm ang sound niya, pero when I turn right at that speeds wala ako naririnig. For the changes before ko naencounter this problem was this. 1) Repack of grease sa wheel bearings, 2) Cleaning of Brakes, 3) Change of Clutch Disc. Nagsearch ako sa mga thread about humming sound at may nakita ako na natry ko na din that when I hit that 50 above KPH and turning left, I put the gear on neutral pero meron pa din sound na hum, would that eliminate tranny problem? Meron po ba na nakaexperience nito with their ride...thanks
    Just to clarify, you only hear of this "humming sound" when you are at speeds above 50kph going left? That seemed to be relatively a fast speed on a turning motion. Additional questions:

• You experience this too on straights?
    • Where specifically is the "humming" sound coming from?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I'm pretty sure wheel bearings yan. Nag repack sila at baka sobrang luwag or sobrang higpit ang pag-assemble.
    Last edited by oj88; January 6th, 2010 at 03:28 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Double post.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    sir benz thanks for the reply...not actually 50kph before I hear the sound when steering left I mean even slight turn on the steering to the left you will hear a humming sound (example is by overtaking a vehicle in front that you need to steer left at that point you will hear the humming sound but when you steer to the right you will not hear that hum sound. Also when cornering a big radius lefty curve you will hear it but in straight and turning right not.

another thing when I checked it last weekend coz it seems it is coming from the front wheels I saw my shock on left front with traces of leak (black sticky dust) would it be the culprit?Also tried raising up the wheels in front and check for shaking and stuck-up and to my suprise left wheel is much better in rotation considering same force was applied to both wheels.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    sir benz thanks for the reply...not actually 50kph before I hear the sound when steering left I mean even slight turn on the steering to the left you will hear a humming sound (example is by overtaking a vehicle in front that you need to steer left at that point you will hear the humming sound but when you steer to the right you will not hear that hum sound. Also when cornering a big radius lefty curve you will hear it but in straight and turning right not.

another thing when I checked it last weekend coz it seems it is coming from the front wheels I saw my shock on left front with traces of leak (black sticky dust) would it be the culprit?Also tried raising up the wheels in front and check for shaking and stuck-up and to my suprise left wheel is much better in rotation considering same force was applied to both wheels.

as has been my practice, i mark the tires before removing them off the car, mark the brake rotors if they hav to come off, index the rotors to the hub, adjust the wheel bearings to specs ( no guess work) and reinstall on the very same location on the very same index so as not to have the customer get a surprise. if the tires have to be rotated, they have to be informed that the tires might make unusual noise at first. you have t let them know the expected changes in noise level, handling or changes. it is common cya (cover your a$$) deal. they might have to come back for readjustment so you don't lose face and them not losing confidence in your shop.

7. Join Date
    May 2009
    sir jick...thanks for the reply...

I also tried to swap the tires to check if the humming sound will go to the right but still hums turning left...I did not see the repacking process as my father is the one brought it to our mechanic...I see some melted grease on the cover of the hub and when I finish driving a long route I also tried to touch the rotor disc if it is hot but when I checked I think it is good kasi nahihipo ko at hindi naman sya masyado nakakapaso...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009

I also tried to swap the tires to check if the humming sound will go to the right but still hums turning left...I did not see the repacking process as my father is the one brought it to our mechanic...I see some melted grease on the cover of the hub and when I finish driving a long route I also tried to touch the rotor disc if it is hot but when I checked I think it is good kasi nahihipo ko at hindi naman sya masyado nakakapaso...
    You have a similar (not exact) problem with this guy: http://audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1158003

Though, be sure to check out the last post in that thread.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009

this may be funny and not similar to your case, i had that humming noise at certain speed with an SV21 toyota camry back in 1990. after an exhausted effort to check the wheel bearings, the tires, the alignment and the engine compartment, the noise still appears at speeds above40 mph. at last glance, i noticed the clear protective coating for the windshield stainless steel molding delaminated and vibrates at a higher speed when it is affected by aerodynamic drag. once removed, the humming noise that had been haunting me for months disappeared. this could be true with yours, a loose trim or component that is affected by air drag. hope you find the cause. keep posting for the rest of the details to easily visualize what could be doing the humming (not the humming bird, they've been extinct in philippines i think)

Humming sound when turning left on high speed