New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Mga Tsikot peeps,

Hingi lang ako ng suggestions on how to improve the ride of an Isuzu Highlander XTRM at the back (2nd row and third row) to give more comfort to the passengers. Me nabasa akong thread before about inverting a leaf or two, but didn't understand this clearly. Me mga thread din before about changing shocks but nothing was mentioned about Highlander.

Please suggest ways to improve riding comfort.

Thanks in advance.

2. FrankDrebin Guest
    nakikipost lang po....pang family ride ko kasi yun eh.

medyo matagtag nga po siya lalo na kapag solo ka lang sa loob.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by stroker_200
    how to improve the ride of an Isuzu Highlander XTRM at the back (2nd row and third row) to give more comfort to the passengers.
    You could buy some leathrette seatcovers with added foams in it. Para mas malambo upuan and sandalan. Modifying your suspension settings would be helpful, but are you willing to compensate the cargo capacity it can carry? Taking a leaf spring out or inverting it will definitely improve ride comfort but cargo-wise will be limited to half of it.

Opting for a more street friendly tire with softer sidewalls can be helpful. But this will cost you more.

One more note in hand, never ever match gas filled shock absorbers with leaf springs. This will tend to have a harsher ride.

4. FrankDrebin Guest
    Ungas,

merong model ng XTRM na full grain leather seats na.

ang alam ko double action yung front shock niya.

BTW , your right about the tires kasi Michelin LTX/AT ang standard dun, matigas ba yun?

Another one, kapag Leaf Spring ang suspension EXPECT THE HARSH RIDE, am I right Diesel Peeps?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    if you dont want to lessen your cargo carrying capacity but still want to improve the ride i suggest that you put a metal spaces between the shortest leaf spring and the one before it, about 5-8 mm thick so it will not function when there is no load, it will only function if the springs are compressed due to the load. it is the oveload spring that makes it ride harsh. and you can add a boomerang shackle.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    metal spacers :?: could you explain it further, what is it, where to buy and how to install

what is a boomerang shackle

any ballpark figure on the cost of these

THANK YOU

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    the spacer you can make one by looking for an old leaf spring that is the same width as your orig ones and have it cut put a hole in the middle for the center bolt. the boomerang shackles are like your ordinary shackle but its shape when mounted is like an inverted L, the theory behind it is that the shackle position is laid backwards and it should move easily than straight ones, physics i guess.

cost would be about 2.5k all in all. the spacer job is a DIY.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankDrebin
    Ungas,

merong model ng XTRM na full grain leather seats na.

ang alam ko double action yung front shock niya.

BTW , your right about the tires kasi Michelin LTX/AT ang standard dun, matigas ba yun?

Another one, kapag Leaf Spring ang suspension EXPECT THE HARSH RIDE, am I right Diesel Peeps?

I was referring to stroker_200 added pads for 2nd and 3rd row seats, if the XTRM models do come out with leather seats then re-upholstering them with more paddings underneath it is the only solution.

Michelin LTX/AT are all terrain tires with tougher sidewalls than the ordinary street ones. Matigas po ito and a much stiffer with hard compounds.

Not necessarily harsh but stiffer than coils. Magaan kasi ang body ng AUVs kaya medyo matalbog sa likod. Not like US large sedans which some old models had leaf springs but mounted on a heavy body kaya hindi ito matalbog.

When modifying shackles or adding lift blocks, please do also check the shock absorber extension and compression movements. They might bottom out on your ride.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    thanks sa mga nag-reply.

Question lang po ke Ungas. About inverting leaf springs, me masa-suggest ka bang talyer na gumagawa nito. Gusto kong pasyalan sana para maintindihan ang gagawin, at matanong na rin kung gaanong load na lang ang puwedeng ikarga, at iba pang side effects.

Question for ARB. Me alam ka bang talyer na puwedeng gumawa maglagay nung spacers. Pa recommend na lang.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    how does double action shock absorber works?

iba ba ito sa regular shock?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
How to Improve the ride of Highlander XTRM