New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I was driving from the airport when suddenly the check engine light came out and my RPM can't climb up to 2K. I drive home slowly and did some research about it. My first move was to reset the ECM by unplugging my battery for almost 2 hours. When I plug my battery again and started the engine, the light is still there. I turn off the engine for about 10 minutes and did some check on the wirings. Luckily when I started the engine again the light is gone. I was driving normally again for one week when suddenly the check engine light came out again. I repeat what I did before and its back to normal again. Can you tell me what is wrong with my pickup? Its a 2008 Dmax LS 4x2.

Btw, I went to casa to ask the tech and he suggest that the problem is with the SCV but I'm not totally convinced. Please post your ideas. thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    I also do not think the suction control valve (SCV) is at fault.

The SCV is often blamed if the "tech" does not know the real problem. Then they keep replacing parts at your expense until either the problem goes away, or you go away........but, I could be wrong in this case.

Check the qualifications of the person who gave you the suggestion of the SCV fault. It is your right to see the "diploma" hanging on the wall of the casa.

Ask the service advisor to have a second opinion from within the casa. If they know what they are doing, they should not hesitate to appease you.

Let us know the outcome.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    IS your engine still the non CRDI 4jh1?
    If so.. its the EGR module vacuum sensor located beside the air filter housing (black color with 2 hoses attached),, had the same problem last week when this sensor got wet from an "engine wash" .. RPM can't climb to 3k rpm, but you can still use all gears (manual tranny, limp mode). cost me 7,8k pesos ++ (orig price 8,2k++ with 10% ISUZU DISCOUNT THIS MONTH) . Available in ISUZU commonwealth. Luckily the carwash owner is so good that he paid for the damaged SENSOR + check engine diagnosis.
    Hope this helped

Quote Originally Posted by 2tski3 View Post
    I was driving from the airport when suddenly the check engine light came out and my RPM can't climb up to 2K. I drive home slowly and did some research about it. My first move was to reset the ECM by unplugging my battery for almost 2 hours. When I plug my battery again and started the engine, the light is still there. I turn off the engine for about 10 minutes and did some check on the wirings. Luckily when I started the engine again the light is gone. I was driving normally again for one week when suddenly the check engine light came out again. I repeat what I did before and its back to normal again. Can you tell me what is wrong with my pickup? Its a 2008 Dmax LS 4x2.

Btw, I went to casa to ask the tech and he suggest that the problem is with the SCV but I'm not totally convinced. Please post your ideas. thanks.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    guys i think i found out what's causing the problem, like the common problem for diesel engines, its in the fuel line. i was convinced that either the SCV or whatever sensor are triggering the alarm because of dirty fuel, so i use a complete fuel system cleaner additive. for a day it was a big help until i decided to change the fuel filter element and it was then i discovered that if you are using petron diesel, be sure to change your fuel filter more often than suggested. the filter assembly was very dirty full of soil like and mossy substances you can't imagine.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by somar View Post
    If so.. its the EGR module vacuum sensor located beside the air filter housing (black color with 2 hoses attached),, had the same problem last week when this sensor got wet from an "engine wash" .. RPM can't climb to 3k rpm, but you can still use all gears (manual tranny, limp mode). cost me 7,8k pesos ++ (orig price 8,2k++ with 10% ISUZU DISCOUNT THIS MONTH) . Available in ISUZU commonwealth. Luckily the carwash owner is so good that he paid for the damaged SENSOR + check engine diagnosis.
    Hope this helped
    btw, its already a CRDI 4JJ1-TC engine.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    guys i think i found out what's causing the problem, like the common problem for diesel engines, its in the fuel line. i was convinced that either the SCV or whatever sensor are triggering the alarm because of dirty fuel, so i use a complete fuel system cleaner additive. for a day it was a big help until i decided to change the fuel filter element and it was then i discovered that if you are using petron diesel, be sure to change your fuel filter more often than suggested. the filter assembly was very dirty full of soil like and mossy substances you can't imagine.
    sir, if i were you, try to load up in 1 station only. this way, you can easily track if the fuel in that particular station is contaminated or not. and since you already have a crdi engine, load up with euro3 or 4 diesel lang as much as possible.

7. Join Date
    May 2008
    i have the same issue sir, it's just that mine is alterra 4x2 but the same 4jj1 engine. the problem is, everytime i load up gas, i get a check engine from time to time and the same problem of rpm not exceeding 2000. i usually reset it by removing battery terminals. additionally, when check engien is lit, sound from the engine is different. it sounds like cranking internals from the engine as it it was running on lean fuel. there is also time that when check engine is lit up, i cannot start engine.

i replaced fuel limiter sensor, egr, gas pedal. i'm wondering how did you clean up the or replaced the fuel filter? please educate as this maybe the solution to my long time problem. thanks.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    i have this issue also DMAx 2005 MODEL, when i reached 110kph CHECK ENGINE LIGHT appeared, pero ok naman takbo di bumabagsak RPM, ang ginagawa ko po off engine then on uli tapos wala na, kapag tinakbo ko uli ng 110+ kph CHECK ENGINE again. Ano po kaya problema ng ganito? salamat

9. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    I think my egr vacuum sensor is also faulty.
    At 175,xxx kms 4jh1, minsan check engine esp pag over 80kph. Mawawala Cel pag off makina at rest for 5mins.
    Wast aware may Egr pala non-crdi kaya hindi pa nalinis oe blank

Ipa scan ko muna pero wala ulit yuj CEL.

Ano one know magkano ito outside casa?
    Without confirming it by scan but dahil luma narin dmax, kung palinis ko egr at palitan na ang vacuum sensor solution na kaya? (Save ko money bypassing scan and casa talk at ilagay nalang sa bago parts at labor)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by somar View Post
    Hope this helped

10. Join Date
    May 2017
    Same thing happened to me. This is the second time it happened. The first time I put it in 3rd Gear and Power drive to overtake a vehicle then out of nowhere the check engine light turned on and my revs were limited to 2k. The 2nd time i was going up hill in 3rd gear trying to also overtake a car (full visibility so I wasn't endangering anyone). The first time it went away by itself though when I turned on the engine the next day, though I also did turn it on more time to check if the light went away the night before. I also gas up at the same Shell gas station most of the time. Any ideas guys? DMax LS 4x2, 2012 or 2013 not sure of the year model, so please don't roast me guys but its the last one before the facelift.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
DMax Check Engine MIL