New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    To all the Isuzu Gurus here:

My wife and I dreamt of buying a Trooper way before during our college days pa. Problem was we cannot afford one then. Fast forward to today, or 15 years later, kaya na sana namin financially, but wala na matagal na yung model sa market. Also heard a lot of complaints especially sa 4jx1 engine ng mga 2nd hand units.

Now, I am planning of buying my wife a car for our 15 years anniversary. I am considering other new models, but still feel that I should fulfill my promise to her way back that someday I will buy her a Trooper.

My questions are:
    1. If I buy a 2nd hand local 4x4 Trooper, what year model should I be looking for?
    2. What things should I check?
    3. Can I replace the engine with a brand new Alterra engine? Or can I buy a new Alterra engine from Isuzu?
    4. Kasya kaya 1M for this project?

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    I can feel you bro. So much love for his wife. Willing to give up buying a brand new car for the priceless joy the trooper can give his wife. Salute! Btw, di ako familiar sa engine swap sa trooper kung pwede ang alterra engine. Why not just stick to the stock 4jx1? Try to find a decent 2nd hand unit? Goodluck on your project sir! Congrats sa 15 years of marriage!

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Congrats on the anniversary bro!

Just as there are many disgruntled Trooper owners complaining of injector issues, there are also many satisfied 4JX1 Trooper owners that have run their vehicles well over the 100tkms mark. Though I have to tell you that maintaining one is not cheap, and requires more attention than many other cars.

I don't see why you can't throw in an Alterra engine as long as you have the budget, a competent mechanic, and are able to find a decent engine and tranny transplant. I don't know if you can find a Japan surplus 4JJ1. You may have to find a wrecked Alterra or D-Max with a still-functioning engine.

Or, you can get a Trooper with the older 4JG2 engine instead. It may be less powerful, but it's built to last and much cheaper to maintain. You can get one, throw in a FMIC, alcohol injection and K&N intake and I'm sure it can keep up with an Alterra.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

4. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    just my thoughts....

I have a 03 skyroof trooper, CRDI... so far no problems, except for expensive CASA service... im on my 120K mileage, no surprises...

If I have 1M to spare, and really want a trooper... just buy a good 2nd hand troop for around 500K... and you still have 500K for any service the car needs... thats a LOT of service.... even if the injectors die on you... spend another 150K pesos, and your good for another 100K mileage....

There will be more problems changing an engine, than fixing the original engine properly....

again, just my thoughts...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Pretty much agree... swapping an engine is not cheap, either way. And it destroys the resale value of the car.

-

A thought, why not the 4JG2 Trooper, as GTi says? Much better than swapping an Alterra motor into a Trooper.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    mga sir pwede kaya 4hf1 sa trooper?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sotel View Post
    mga sir pwede kaya 4hf1 sa trooper?
    palagay ko, pwede naman. may kunting hitch sa electrical system. 24 volts ang 4hf1 while 12 volts ang trooper. pero kayang kaya naman gawan ng paraan yan. may nakita nga akong expedition dito sa davao, 4hf1 ang makina. malakas ang hatak at matipid sa krudo kaysa dati, sabi ng may ari.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Kakasya ba ang 4HF1 sa engine bay ng Trooper? From what I recall, it's pretty big... Power figures of the 4JG2-TC is not far off. Fuel consumption will also most likely be better. A Japan surplus EFI, belt driven unit with a chip and intercooler upgrade should make for a very fast Trooper.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

9. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    There are a lot of trooper owner who still have their beloved truck in good working condition. Mine is a 2000 model 4jx1 with 95k millage and still working well just like when it left the casa.

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    Kahit pala Central Diesel inaayawan ang Trooper 4JX1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Can i install an Isuzu Alterra engine to a Trooper?