New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Hi guys,

I started a thread about this long ago, somehow I could not find it anymore.

My Alterra's wiper problem is back. Well it was never gone really. Now that it is raining again, we have to use it and thus have to deal with the problem again.

I have buffed my windshield about 10x now, I have applied all the fluids (mwatermark remover, Rain X). These are temporary solutions as after a while of constantly running the wipers (especially at higher speed), I am getting that juddering sound again. I have also already changed wiper blades.

Last time I went to Isuzu, they couldn't do anything about it and their only advise was for me to apply a shampoo - they recommeded rejoice at that Did this and as expected, was one of the temporary solutions.

In contrast, my Vios' wipers are smooth as a cue ball. I never applied anything on it.

I am willing to pay a lot just to have this fixed permanently.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    I have this very same problem with my 2011 Urban Cruiser, but I have not done anything about it just yet.

Many years ago, I solved this problem on another vehicle by adding (very little) dish washing liquid soap to my windshield washer fluid. It worked for a while, but it was a pain.

The permanent solution was to change the wiper blades to non-rubber synthetic blades.......but I don't know if they are available in The Philippines.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    try re-aligning the wiper arm either / or \ so that the blades are not perpendicular to the windshield during the wipe process..

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    After posting my reply, I went to examine my wipers and noticed immediately that the blades sit at almost 90 degree angle to the windshield at all times, in both directions.

My experience has been that blades should "wipe" in a dragging motion, in both directions. All blades that I have experienced in the past from various manufacturers are usually very "loose" in construction, so that they change direction back and forth to always give a "dragging wipe" motion. I will try to allow more looseness to my blades by bending the attachment clamps.

I noticed that yapoy86 has posted this same type of observation/suggestion.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Hi Uncle Nick,

Can you elaborate more on what to do? I am not sure I understood.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PATSYS50 View Post
    Hi Uncle Nick,

Can you elaborate more on what to do? I am not sure I understood.
    I'll try to explain my thoughts.

Please ask again if I fail to elaborate properly.

The rubber portion of the blade that contacts the windshield sits at an almost 90 degree angle to the windshield.

When the wiper arm, to which the blade is attached, moves across the windshield, the blade tends to give a "scraping" action, rather than a 'wiping" action to remove water.

Rubber sliding across a clean windshield, tends to jump up and down or "chatter".

The solution is to use a synthetic or teflon blade rather than rubber and/or to not have the blade sit at 90 degrees to the windshield.

After time, blades loosen up, and no longer sit at 90 degrees to the glass and, therefore, tend to "drag" the rubber, rather than "scrape" the rubber against the windshield.

We can help the blade to loosen up by bending the clamps that hold the wiper blade assembly together.....but not too much so that they fall apart when used and damage the glass.

I have not loosened mine as yet, but I know that this is the solution, if I cannot find teflon blades here in "farm country" in Central Luzon.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Hi Uncle Nick,

I get it now. I think that could be the reason. My wiper is ok on the first way but is "rough" on its way back. I think that is the time when it is becoming perpendicular to the windshield.

I am not sure how to loosen what but I think tinker with it when I have the time.

Thanks

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Try this, lift the wipers away from the windshield. All wiper assemblies have a pivot joint between the wiper arm and the blade assembly. The pivot allows the blade to swing in one axis only. If there is excessive perpendicular play, it is one reason that the blade skips or judders.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Try thoroughly cleaning your windshield (some even use 2,000 grit sandpaper with continuous flowing water) or simply have the windshield "rubbed" down.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PATSYS50 View Post
    Hi Uncle Nick,

I get it now. I think that could be the reason. My wiper is ok on the first way but is "rough" on its way back. I think that is the time when it is becoming perpendicular to the windshield.

I am not sure how to loosen what but I think tinker with it when I have the time.

Thanks
    If your wiper is OK in one direction, and not the other, then the problem is that the arm is "twisted".

Some time ago, I saw a video which explained really well how to fix this.

Do a "google" search on "Mini Cooper wiper blade chatter" and look at the video a couple of times.

If you cannot find the video, let me know. I will then try to find it for you.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Alterra rough wiper problem - still unsolved